Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

James, you need to read more clearly. I stated many times that I have no problem with it. I suggest that you can't bitch if someone does protest it if it is illegal.

Rob, You made the same point I did, yes, there are times when it is safer to use my car as a wall, but that isn't safer for the car being used as a wall for your mis-shift. What is safer for my car is for you to not miss the shift. And yours too BTW. And see above, I don't care if it is going on during the RACE. I don't care if you guys want to do it or don't. I really don't care if you guys team up in qualifying.

As matter of fact........ you guys win. I give up. I concede the point. Touching and bumping is way more safe than no contact.

Kwebb, you are successful. Consider me punted. I am checking out and leaving you guys to your much more stimulating conversation you engage in.

See you guys at the track.

Jamzy, I dont have nothign agaisnt you, I just think this subject sucks. You seem like a good guy... Racing is not SAFE period, if i dont want to race I should stick with HPDE, and there aint nothing wrong with doing that, In racing there is contact, both intentional and un...

I explained to you how to do qualifying, even was nice... Why you get so mad? I aint mad at you, you even make few good points...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
Come on tired or not mpr!!!!! people getting all twisted up here cuz of what you start, now finish it.

K. Webb

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
No, put a B on your bumper if you want to play.

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:15
kwebb chasing another one away! lol
  • LarryKing likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

kwebb chasing another one away! lol

LOL funny interesting who likes that post and thinks you being serious! I guess he dont get the lol

K. Webb

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Drafting occurs in almost all forms of racing and even in nature.

* Wikipedia theft: Cooperative fluid dynamics techniques like drafting are found in nature as well. Flocks of geese and some other birds fly in a V formation because the wingtip vortices generated by the front bird will create up-wash circulations. The birds flying behind will receive lift force from these up-wash vortices. Thus other birds in the flock do not need to work as hard to achieve lift.

I don't think it is reasonable to ask the officials to police drafting in qualifying, the corner workers would have to call it in every few seconds. Moving on.

Bump drafting has created viceral responses not only in club racing but also in NASCAR. NASCAR went through a similar dilema several years back going so far as to ban it all together at Taladega one year. SCCA and NASCAR have different business models. NASCAR must please the fans or see declining revenues. SCCA must run a club that balances driver safety and driver enjoyment, not to mention the dozens of stewards, grid workers and corner workers. As Big D said, sometimes we have to protect the drivers from themselves. Racers will often push the envelope of rules and safety to gain an advantage over a competitor.

The contact rule itself is quite clear. 6.11.1 Drivers are responsible are responsible to avoid physical contact on the race track.
7.2 Penalties for a violation range from a $1 fine to probation. The Chief Steward may instigate a Request for Action with the SOM if he or she feels a violation of the GCR has occurred. Most likely action is your car will be black flagged and you will get to visit with the steward in pit lane, effectively ending your race. Black flag is possibly the most draconian of the penalites because there is no appeals process. You have been stripped of your position and most likely points end of story, sorry no refund.

I have raced for about 2.5 years. In that time I have seen my fair share of contact. In the beggining it was newbie on newbie contact, two people who lack skill, awareness or understanding of what their cars and themselves are capable of coming together. As my skill and speed increased, I tried this bump drafting thing. As I practiced it, it was bump crashing as many of you have described. I didn't understand the difference until my friend John Phillips showed me just how hard I hit him on the previous lap. WHAM! Ok, now i get it.

As I started racing towards the front for points the car's and driver's abilities were much more equal. Racing in tight quarters lap after lap initated way more contact (rubs and nudges) than i ever experienced in the mid pack. Most of this contact is completely incedental. Avoidable yes, but it is the way racing is done at the pointy end and that is what I signed up for. Don't get me wrong this contact rarely slows either car down and much more rarely cause loss of control.

There in lies the problem i have with the rules as written. All these little rubs and nudges are violations of 6.11.1. Unless someone protests I have never seen a penalty for the infraction. I have seen full on wrecks with no action taken unless one racer protests another. See Kent Carter's wreck at Hallett. However if you touch bumpers or the corner station thinks you touched the bumper of a competitor on a straight away penalties have and will be assessed.

I am not an idealist. I don't go for this "its cheating" black and white stuff. Like it or not racing is shades of gray at all levels, from club racing to F1.

I might suggest a change to the wording of the 6.11.1

Drivers are responsible to avoid physical contact that causes a change in course or causes damage to another vehicle on the race track.

Easy to police, the car either left their line or they didn't. The car is either damaged or it is not.

Don't start the "that is against the spirit of racing, that gives advantage to the big teams." Its a free country team up with anyone you want. Don't tell me the SCCA won't listen, the lawyers won't allow it, the insurance won't allow it. Until you present a reasonable alternative to the rules as written any bureaucracy's answer is always NO.

Racing is dangerous and the driver assumes risk when they get in the car. My suggested language does not say go run into anyone, it does not say bump drafting is legal. It does give the officials an easily enforceable rule regarding contact.

Also I know, my car has damage all over it, from rubs and bumps and it would be easy to say the car has to be spotless so we can see when we were damaged. Maybe I have to paint my car every weekend, but I expect reasonable people to act reasonably when it comes to the intent of the rules.

If you agree or disagree with the modification let me know. (Sorry Kyle this will go on longer) Someone smarter than me please start a pole. I take no pride in aurthoship of the language if there is a better alternative that helps the officials and racers conform to reasonable racing practices by all means please make suggestions. If we can agree on direction then I suggest we write letters to the with our recomendation to the appropriate parties. If the poll says we like the rule as written, I can certainly live with that.
  • Neil O and Todd Green like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

We need somethign more exctitng to talk about! Who cares about this topic, and BS to you PAT, first time Front Runner comes to your trailer to say Shawn, in qualifying come out with us and lets team up... You be on that like stink on shit! For every team that is there, there are just as many private guys...

Glad you can read my mind Kyle. If your not permitted to draft during qualification it is a moot point. Lets see who is the fastest in qualifying, not what three team members are the fastest :)

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I wonder why it is when I eat Mexican food the night before, that nobody wants to draft behind me :noidea:

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Drafting occurs in almost all forms of racing and even in nature.

* Wikipedia theft: Cooperative fluid dynamics techniques like drafting are found in nature as well. Flocks of geese and some other birds fly in a V formation because the wingtip vortices generated by the front bird will create up-wash circulations. The birds flying behind will receive lift force from these up-wash vortices. Thus other birds in the flock do not need to work as hard to achieve lift.

I don't think it is reasonable to ask the officials to police drafting in qualifying, the corner workers would have to call it in every few seconds. Moving on.

Bump drafting has created viceral responses not only in club racing but also in NASCAR. NASCAR went through a similar dilema several years back going so far as to ban it all together at Taladega one year. SCCA and NASCAR have different business models. NASCAR must please the fans or see declining revenues. SCCA must run a club that balances driver safety and driver enjoyment, not to mention the dozens of stewards, grid workers and corner workers. As Big D said, sometimes we have to protect the drivers from themselves. Racers will often push the envelope of rules and safety to gain an advantage over a competitor.

The contact rule itself is quite clear. 6.11.1 Drivers are responsible are responsible to avoid physical contact on the race track.
7.2 Penalties for a violation range from a $1 fine to probation. The Chief Steward may instigate a Request for Action with the SOM if he or she feels a violation of the GCR has occurred. Most likely action is your car will be black flagged and you will get to visit with the steward in pit lane, effectively ending your race. Black flag is possibly the most draconian of the penalites because there is no appeals process. You have been stripped of your position and most likely points end of story, sorry no refund.

I have raced for about 2.5 years. In that time I have seen my fair share of contact. In the beggining it was newbie on newbie contact, two people who lack skill, awareness or understanding of what their cars and themselves are capable of coming together. As my skill and speed increased, I tried this bump drafting thing. As I practiced it, it was bump crashing as many of you have described. I didn't understand the difference until my friend John Phillips showed me just how hard I hit him on the previous lap. WHAM! Ok, now i get it.

As I started racing towards the front for points the car's and driver's abilities were much more equal. Racing in tight quarters lap after lap initated way more contact (rubs and nudges) than i ever experienced in the mid pack. Most of this contact is completely incedental. Avoidable yes, but it is the way racing is done at the pointy end and that is what I signed up for. Don't get me wrong this contact rarely slows either car down and much more rarely cause loss of control.

There in lies the problem i have with the rules as written. All these little rubs and nudges are violations of 6.11.1. Unless someone protests I have never seen a penalty for the infraction. I have seen full on wrecks with no action taken unless one racer protests another. See Kent Carter's wreck at Hallett. However if you touch bumpers or the corner station thinks you touched the bumper of a competitor on a straight away penalties have and will be assessed.

I am not an idealist. I don't go for this "its cheating" black and white stuff. Like it or not racing is shades of gray at all levels, from club racing to F1.

I might suggest a change to the wording of the 6.11.1

Drivers are responsible to avoid physical contact that causes a change in course or causes damage to another vehicle on the race track.

Easy to police, the car either left their line or they didn't. The car is either damaged or it is not.

Don't start the "that is against the spirit of racing, that gives advantage to the big teams." Its a free country team up with anyone you want. Don't tell me the SCCA won't listen, the lawyers won't allow it, the insurance won't allow it. Until you present a reasonable alternative to the rules as written any bureaucracy's answer is always NO.

Racing is dangerous and the driver assumes risk when they get in the car. My suggested language does not say go run into anyone, it does not say bump drafting is legal. It does give the officials an easily enforceable rule regarding contact.

Also I know, my car has damage all over it, from rubs and bumps and it would be easy to say the car has to be spotless so we can see when we were damaged. Maybe I have to paint my car every weekend, but I expect reasonable people to act reasonably when it comes to the intent of the rules.

If you agree or disagree with the modification let me know. (Sorry Kyle this will go on longer) Someone smarter than me please start a pole. I take no pride in aurthoship of the language if there is a better alternative that helps the officials and racers conform to reasonable racing practices by all means please make suggestions. If we can agree on direction then I suggest we write letters to the with our recomendation to the appropriate parties. If the poll says we like the rule as written, I can certainly live with that.

Good write up, not sure it will come to anything but good none the less.

K. Webb