207 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

No one is going to punish you for bumping

Maybe not, but I see an excellent protest opportunity. Let's just say you're trailing in the regional championship by 2 points and the points leader just happens to bumpdraft you the last race of the season. And furthermore, let's say you have in-car video that clearly shows this offense...
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Anyone experienced and good enough to be in the regional points championship and runner up positions would not stoop to such a tactic. Your hypothetical scenario will never happen.
  • Jim Drago and Keith Andrews like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

It would be real amusing if there were enough top prepped/driven by "COOL FOLKS" 1.6's that aligned like baby ducks & blew the doors off the 99 pluses.

Then we would see how long the current plates/weight rules would stay in place.

Of course the weight of the 1.6 has been adjusted for just such an occastion.

Kyle, YES, I believe there are x number of fast & furious 1.6's on the left coast.

drago, thanks for todays chuckle. Being that your video was a sales video how about you post some EastStreet 99 & 1.6 Dyno hp/tq sales graphs. Oh, graphs from your best 99 & best 1.6.

Now, how about some comments on how long the weight/plates rules would stay put when 1.6's aligned like baby ducks blew by the "COOL FOLKS" 99's.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Your hypothetical scenario will never happen.

Ya think? What if they really don't like each other? You give human nature a lot more credit than I James.

Now, how about some comments on how long the weight/plates rules would stay put when 1.6's aligned like baby ducks blew by the "COOL FOLKS" 99's.

I defer to the good Mr. York. (see quote at top of this post)
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Kyle, YES, I believe there are x number of fast & furious 1.6's on the left coast.

drago, thanks for todays chuckle. Being that your video was a sales video how about you post some EastStreet 99 & 1.6 Dyno hp/tq sales graphs. Oh, graphs from your best 99 & best 1.6.

Do they race miatas In Hawaii?

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Ya think? What if they really don't like each other? You give human nature a lot more credit than I James.

I defer to the good Mr. York. (see quote at top of this post)

I don't see it happening, even with drivers that don't like each other. Nothing has changed, bumpdrafting wasn't suddenly made illegal in the SCCA yesterday, why hasn't it happened in the 8 years I have been doing this?

Your other comment about 1.6 and ducks I don't get. I don't make any rules. You'll have to inquire elsewhere as to when any adjustments will be made to the car years.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

And what is it that you do that I should aspire to Todd?

tl;dr

Apparently keeping my posts concise and on point. ;) So to try to sum it up:

1) You keep assuming we are talking about ourselves. Rules need to include the lowest common denominator, and there is a reason why they call it the "kill zone".

2) You said you wanted to outlaw drafting, not just bump drafting, but any drafting. That is what I was replying to. Big difference.

FWIW, our region (NASA) allows bump drafting. I've never bump drafted or gone out with a drafting partner in quali. So please stop reading into people's posts that we are talking about personal experience rather than generalities about what we feel would be best for the class.
  • plane likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

As for the rules, whether Buras and Slattery walk the field or the top 99's walk them, the rules will be the same in 2013. Buy whatever car you feel you need for whatever track you plan to race at. I don't think NASA or SCCA could have made their intentions any more clear?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Do they race miatas In Hawaii?

You went way to far left & obviously spent way to much time playing with the :fisheszzz:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

As for the rules, whether Buras and Slattery walk the field or the top 99's walk them, the rules will be the same in 2013. Buy whatever car you feel you need for whatever track you plan to race at. I don't think NASA or SCCA could have made their intentions any more clear?

Yeah but if bump drafting is approved for 1.6 cars only that could change everything.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Todd,

I never once said I wanted to outlaw drafting in racing. Please look and see. I said that I would gladly participate in Bding during the race, and I will even instruct my driver to do so in qualifying if that is what is going on. I said that my vote was for banning it in qualifying. Period.

Yes, I assume that you are talking about yourself ( or ourselves???, as you put it above ). Who else would you be speaking for? You emphatically stated that you think touching cars can be safer than not touching car in situations. When you say that, It is explicit that you speak for you. What situation is safer touching than not touching? Name one. I can name one where it is safer for you. If you go too deep in the corner and use my car to keep from going off . That would be safer for you, but not for me.

My views are really simple.

1. Technically speaking only, touching cars in any situation is inherently more dangerous than not touching. Just like touching the wall is inherently more dangerous than not touching it and staying on track.

2. Just because it is technically more dangerous, doesn't mean that I freak out with contact and want to spoil all your fun with BDing or outlaw it. I don't.

3. Valid arguments for BDing should not include safety as a benefit of BDing. Because of reason number 1.

4. Valid arguments could include things such as; it is fun, it adds a strategy dimension, it is visually exciting to people, it IS inherently more dangerous and therefore more exciting to people, ETC. All of which I can support.

5. Qualifying is different than a race and BDing and team tactics seem out of place there. So if I had a choice, I would ban it during qual.

6. If it is currently against regs, then it is currently against regs and should not be done. If everyone agrees to bend the regs, then everyone agrees to bend the regs and I have no problem with that. If one person does not agree, then it is against the regs if it says it is against the regs and is legitimately protestable if you risk ignoring the regs.

Doesn't this seem reasonable? Inclusive of most peoples views, and not a downer on fun?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

1. Technically speaking only, touching cars in any situation is inherently more dangerous than not touching. Just like touching the wall is inherently more dangerous than not touching it and staying on track.

2. Just because it is technically more dangerous, doesn't mean that I freak out with contact and want to spoil all your fun with BDing or outlaw it. I don't.

3. Valid arguments for BDing should not include safety as a benefit of BDing. Because of reason number 1.

4. Valid arguments could include things such as; it is fun, it adds a strategy dimension, it is visually exciting to people, it IS inherently more dangerous and therefore more exciting to people, ETC. All of which I can support.

5. Qualifying is different than a race and BDing and team tactics seem out of place there. So if I had a choice, I would ban it during qual.

6. If it is currently against regs, then it is currently against regs and should not be done. If everyone agrees to bend the regs, then everyone agrees to bend the regs and I have no problem with that. If one person does not agree, then it is against the regs if it says it is against the regs and is legitimately protestable if you risk ignoring the regs.

Doesn't this seem reasonable? Inclusive of most peoples views, and not a downer on fun?

Rebuttal
1. False statement. It's possible to be in a situation where striking the car ahead is safer than trying not to, such as a missed shift. Let alone my example of trying more passes instead of pushing.

2. see #1

3. see #1

4. see #1

5. "that's just like... your opinion, man" -Lebowski

6. James, what part of "unenforceable" is confusing here? Your region already decided what they want. Just leave it alone or throw paper already. Or better yet shelf it until your driver develops a little more and forms an experienced opinion either way.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Todd,

I never once said I wanted to outlaw drafting in racing. Please look and see. I said that I would gladly participate in Bding during the race, and I will even instruct my driver to do so in qualifying if that is what is going on. I said that my vote was for banning it in qualifying. Period.

Yes, I assume that you are talking about yourself ( or ourselves???, as you put it above ). Who else would you be speaking for? You emphatically stated that you think touching cars can be safer than not touching car in situations. When you say that, It is explicit that you speak for you. What situation is safer touching than not touching? Name one. I can name one where it is safer for you. If you go too deep in the corner and use my car to keep from going off . That would be safer for you, but not for me.

My views are really simple.

You have officially reached your 16 post limit and 12 pages...you are being unofficially bumped off this thread. Oh wait...is that legal?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

You have officially reached your 16 post limit and 12 pages...you are being unofficially bumped off this thread. Oh wait...is that legal?

Ron Alan For Modorator!!!!!!!!!

K. Webb