• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
If you choose to bump draft it should be done for a purpose, not just because it's fun to do.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

If you choose to bump draft it should be done for a purpose, not just because it's fun to do.

Well, I race because it is fun to do, not because I have a purpose (we end up going in circles after all). :spin:
Sometimes, it is fun to hook up with someone and go fast. Sometimes I do it in qualifying, sometimes I do it in a race, sometimes I do it during a practice just for fun.
But I agree with the comment made earlier that you need to make sure that the other driver is comfortable with it.

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
It's fun to drive with my feet, that doesn't make it a good idea. (paraphased from Chris Rock)

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:CCR
  • Car Number:04
So reading this thread begs me to ask the question. As both the initiator and recipient of many bump drafts over the years, the thing I find interesting is the apparent disregard for the GCR. Section 6.11.1.A states: "Drivers are responsible to avoid physical contact between cars on the race track." This is a black and white directive, not grey.

If people are bump drafting to gain a competitive advantage, what differentiates this form of "cheating" from other methods to gain advantage such as cams, tricked ECUs, massaged suspension pick-up points, ported exhaust manifolds, etc? They are both wiillful attemps to sidestep the system.
Seneca Motorsports

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

So reading this thread begs me to ask the question. As both the initiator and recipient of many bump drafts over the years, the thing I find interesting is the apparent disregard for the GCR. Section 6.11.1.A states: "Drivers are responsible to avoid physical contact between cars on the race track." This is a black and white directive, not grey.

If people are bump drafting to gain a competitive advantage, what differentiates this form of "cheating" from other methods to gain advantage such as cams, tricked ECUs, massaged suspension pick-up points, ported exhaust manifolds, etc? They are both wiillful attemps to sidestep the system.

Trouble maker :king:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
Shouldn't we start a poll? Just to quantify what people want. If 90% say they wish it were illegal, then we inform the stewards/corner workers to enforce the rule. If 90% think it should be legal, then let's work on getting the rule changed.

My concern is the orchestrated advantage gained by teams/friends in qualifying. In a race it's a little more random.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
There's legal drafting and then there's "tech shed legal drafting." If it's done between two consenting adults on part of the course where there is no possible way for a steward to see it, it's tech shed legal. Besides, what am I supposed to do if some good Samaratin recognizes I'm down on power and decides to help push me up to speed. :whistling:
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
There's legal drafting and then there's "tech shed legal drafting."

So in other words there's cheating and then there's "legal cheating..." I really don't care either way, just trying to get the groups thoughts on this.
Seneca Motorsports

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

In a race it's a little more random.

Try again. :)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
As WE ALL know, when one brings up cheating the written rules (or cheating the known intent of the rules) on this site the bringer upper becomes know as a TURD unless he/she is a front runner at the national level. :rolleyes:

(This advertisement does not imply that my car doesn't have any cheats, it's just that I'm not about to brag about them (if they exist :nonono: ).

This advertisement is bought & paid for by TURD. :spin:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
+1 Dewhurst, but then the "Cool Kids" have always gotten away with more, that's life.

TURD - tremendously under-rated driver?

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
It's fun and banning it is unenforceable short of spec ketchup packets being officially added to the GCR.

Dropping it won't eliminate teamwork anyway. It won't stop two quick drivers drafting together and running away.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

Besides, what am I supposed to do if some good Samaratin recognizes I'm down on power and decides to help push me up to speed. :whistling:

That's why the Oregon Region SCCA needs to put the SM and T1 classes in the same race group! :duck:

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
Steve, to your point, I would equate it to the fuel pressure and timing mods that have recently been approved. All the top guys are going it, its near impossible to completely enforce.... so lets just make it legal! :) Isn't that how SM works?
  • William Keeling likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Steve, to your point, I would equate it to the fuel pressure and timing mods that have recently been approved. All the top guys are going it, its near impossible to completely enforce.... so lets just make it legal! :) Isn't that how SM works?

It's being practical. If something is impossible to enforce, legalizing it improves parity.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
The grey hairs in SCCA will never legalize it. They look at bump drafting as the gateway drug to Nascar. They're afraid that if it's allowed the speeds will get so high that we'll need those flaps on our roofs to prevent dozens of Miatas flipping through the air in every race when they get turned backwards. There will be 100s of thousands of toothless rednecks at every race lined up for Charbs to autograph their boobs, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Dewhurst, in my opening comment I said I was guilty as the next guy for both pushing and being pushed. If that qualifies me as a TURD so be it. Rob, I agree with your assessment that bump drafting helps to improve parity and spread out the field. I think most of us are already doing it. I am not throwing stones or flaming anyone here.

I just think it is a bit duplicitous for people on the forum to throw others under the bus for "cheating" when we are not following the rules ourselves.

Nuff said. :noidea:
Seneca Motorsports

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

The grey hairs in SCCA will never legalize it. They look at bump drafting as the gateway drug to Nascar. They're afraid that if it's allowed the speeds will get so high that we'll need those flaps on our roofs to prevent dozens of Miatas flipping through the air in every race when they get turned backwards. There will be 100s of thousands of toothless rednecks at every race lined up for Charbs to autograph their boobs, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

you have heard what the corner workers and the ITA guys say when it's time for the miata's to go out, right?

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

I agree with your assessment that bump drafting helps to improve parity and spread out the field.

How does the field spreading out indicate an improvement in parity? Unless of course you're already at the front, and you consider anything that increases your lead to be an "improvement". ;)

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

you have heard what the corner workers and the ITA guys say when it's time for the miata's to go out, right?

Spec Pinata?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users