suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
I think you are right. If you don't want to get bumped put an X on your bumper and if anyone touches you then they get a penalty. Now if there is not an X on the bumper than you are saying I want to get bumped. Problem solved.
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

I think you are right. If you don't want to get bumped put an X on your bumper and if anyone touches you then they get a penalty. Now if there is not an X on the bumper than you are saying I want to get bumped. Problem solved.

I think it needs to be a bit more clear than that.....I had a friend who had an X that said "push here" in small print. Another racer up here (very fast guy) had a sticker that said "no bumping" with a frownie faced cartoon waving his finger at people.

If it's a problem in your region, then have a driver's meeting after practice on the first day of a race weekend. Take attendance. Make it clear no bump drafting without permission, no bump drafting, or whatever the racers decide. Talk to your local steward, they should listen.

I think the common sense move as a driver is only do it with people you are comfortable with, and even then wait for a hand signal. It will eliminate a lot of post race conversations and arguments. If you get pushed or rammed by someone, talk to them after the race. Depending on how you feel after that, talk to the stewards.

Wow, this might be the most involved I have been in any thread on this site.

-Vick
  • dstevens likes this

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Sounds like you've experienced bumping done badly, Alberto. Have you ever felt it done properly? You (the lead car) shouldn't feel any jarring, or upsetting of the car; at most you should feel a slight acceleration, like you had 20 more horsepower for a second or two. What you felt probably wasn't bump-drafting, but ramming -- which should never be done.

Yes, I did experience it poorly in this class in this region with those particular drivers... Doesn't mean that other drivers in the region are the same. Can't judge the whole group by those few.

I have experienced it done properly - back about 12 years ago when I used to race karts. But that was with a close friend / team mate and we had practiced it and come to an agreement with using it as a technique to gain a competitive advantage.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

But that was with a close friend / team mate and we had practiced it and come to an agreement with using it as a technique to gain a competitive advantage.

Well here's the big problem. I watch "teams" show up with 10+ cars. It's already difficult to not feel like an underdog (which is fine as a beginner), but if we see equal cars/drivers being ganged up on by friends/teams, then the class will suffer.

But drafting without bumping is totally legal, and there's usually friends to be made (mid pack).
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

Well here's the big problem. I watch "teams" show up with 10+ cars. It's already difficult to not feel like an underdog (which is fine as a beginner), but if we see equal cars/drivers being ganged up on by friends/teams, then the class will suffer.

But drafting without bumping is totally legal, and there's usually friends to be made (mid pack).

Bump drafting is less about "teams" and more about finding someone that is basically running exactly the same pace as you. Sometimes there are team mates that pair up, but I can almost always find someone to draft with, and I don't show up as part of a big team.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

One could make a case for eliminating bumping to reduce the effect of a team, OTOH allowing bumping also reduces the likelihood of punts. I feel that drivers are less likely to attempt a low percentage move if they have an almost as good alternative (push him instead).
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

svvs

svvs

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

One could make a case for eliminating bumping to reduce the effect of a team, OTOH allowing bumping also reduces the likelihood of punts. I feel that drivers are less likely to attempt a low percentage move if they have an almost as good alternative (push him instead).

Rob:

That last sentence doesn't make sense to me. Pushing a slower guy down the front straight doesn't really do me any good.

Is there such a thing as a "low percentage move" on a straight? I would imagine if you're faster, suck up in his draft for as long as possible, "pop" out, and try to keep going. If you're approaching the braking zone and it's clear you're not alongside, back out of it, tuck back in behind the car in front of you, and take a normal line through the corner. No speed really lost except for the speed you lose being behind the slower guy in the corner.....which you would have lost anyway if you had pushed him down the straight.

I don't see how allowing the cars to touch a bit while drafting down a straightaway would lead to fewer punts. I'm not an argumentative guy, but I don't understand your comment.

-Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Car Number:59
The problem is it is very difficult to actually complete the pass while still on the straight. That leads to you going into a corner 2 wide, someone (normally the leading driver) is going to take a defensive line. This means you are both going to be slower allowing those in front of you to pull away and those behind to catch up. It doesn't take too many corners of doing this to completely loose touch with the pack in front of you.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

I don't see how allowing the cars to touch a bit while drafting down a straightaway would lead to fewer punts. I'm not an argumentative guy, but I don't understand your comment.

-Vick

Let's say I have a very slow run on someone halfway down the straight. I'll get my front tire to his rear tire as we enter the braking zone if I try the pass. Should I try the pass? Probably not. If my closing rate is that low, I'll shove him instead. Then we both benefit from my excellent previous corner even if I don't get my pass yet. If I'm not allowed to shove, I'll more seriously consider the pass attempt even if it's dicey.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

svvs

svvs

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Let's say I have a very slow run on someone halfway down the straight. I'll get my front tire to his rear tire as we enter the braking zone if I try the pass. Should I try the pass? Probably not. If my closing rate is that low, I'll shove him instead. Then we both benefit from my excellent previous corner even if I don't get my pass yet. If I'm not allowed to shove, I'll more seriously consider the pass attempt even if it's dicey.

Very slow run.....got it. I just assumed a run period.

Vick
www.volko.com

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22

I will post a video tomorrow that shows Rob's scenario. Equal cars, equal drivers this is a very common scenario.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Scott McKay

Scott McKay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:31
Personally, I hate it, but that's because I usually don't have a dancing partner, and two cars roll by me down a straight like I'm not there, which totally sucks. On big tracks like those we have in Florida, if you don't have a partner to go with you, I don't care what your talent level is, two cars in a train will leave you.
Three Time NASA National Champion

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Personally, I hate it, but that's because I usually don't have a dancing partner, and two cars roll by me down a straight like I'm not there, which totally sucks. On big tracks like those we have in Florida, if you don't have a partner to go with you, I don't care what your talent level is, two cars in a train will leave you.

You need to make friends.......

Oh wait, I see your occupation... :P :duck:

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA