Photo

Charlotte SARRC/MARRS Contact and Protest.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
If that was High Chairs intent, then agreed. Respect will be shown as the pass is attempted.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Your video is necessary for that. (Tire lockup.....)

No it wasn't. You have more senses than sight. If you listen to Steve's vid you can hear him lockup before the contact. As others have stated, just seeing his speed and the fact that the pole sitter braked earlier than him, yet was on a more optimal line for corner entry, should have set off warning bells. You also seem to think that the outside car came down on him. You only have to leave a car width, which he did. It is the passer's responsibility to be able to make the pass cleanly on a tighter line.

No possible way I am going to instruct my driver to give the pole sitters the first corner. No way, hale no.

I disagree with you 110%. I qualify much better than I race. In fact not only should people not be able to pass me in the first turn, I think we should change the rules that they can't pass me in any turn (probably should throw in the straights while we're at it). ;) ;) ;)

Ok, maybe I agree with you. Kinda silly to say that someone who qualified faster automatically gets the first turn. Racing is on as soon as the green drops. Doesn't mean you should dive-bomb etc., but I'm certainly not going to just "give" someone a turn. But perhaps that is the context the poster meant that you shouldn't be taking unnecessary risks in the first turn. (Edit: Looks like a bunch of people just said the same thing while I was typing this up.)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

No it wasn't. You have more senses than sight. If you listen to Steve's vid you can hear him lockup before the contact. As others have stated, just seeing his speed and the fact that the pole sitter braked earlier than him, yet was on a more optimal line for corner entry, should have set off warning bells. You also seem to think that the outside car came down on him. You only have to leave a car width, which he did. It is the passer's responsibility to be able to make the pass cleanly on a tighter line.

You're a better video analyzer than me. On the 20th time I watched this, with the volume up high, I think you are right that I can hear lockup. But it's so much easier to hear now that I've seen the photos and watched the 2nd video. I still think his video makes it look like he was turned down on, and wasn't given room. The 2nd video proves that wasn't the case. So, I disagree with you 110%. ;) Second video is necessary to justify the protest and confirm the fairness of the penalty (to those of us who weren't there)...yay! The system works.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

FYI, in case yall didn't notice same stuff happens WAY back in the middle of the pack too :king:

I started 12th (Kill zone Bull's eye) and, if craziness was going to happen, I was happy that it happened far enough in front of me that I could avoid the mayhem. :whistling: I was in the 82 car that passed Keith. :wave2:

I have been caught up in too many wrecks during the first lap when mayhem occurred mid-pack and too close to avoid. :fuming: I guess I need to qualify faster and get one of those free passes into T1. :thumbsup:
  • Glenn likes this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

I started 12th (Kill zone Bull's eye)
I

Which was the reason I elected NOT to do the CCPS race on Saturday or Sunday. I was afeared that 70 plus red misted racecar drivers running in the dark "might" just not all make it thru turn 1. :prayer: Surprize, they behaved!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

get one of those free passes into T1.

I hope you brought enough for everyone!
  • CruzanTom likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

If that was High Chairs intent, then agreed. Respect will be shown as the pass is attempted.

I really don't care if you take my advice or not but I can tell you this. I have driven wheel to wheel with the best drivers in SM in both regional and National races and we always try to give the front row the corner if there is any doubt. Most of the front runners are happy if they can just make it through the first lap in the same position that they started. Of course that does not stop some jack ass from trying to take the lead from the 3rd row at the drop of the green. However those drivers usually do not make it past turn two either. If you are instructing your driver to race like that then you take full responsibility when your car comes back on a flat bed. Mike is certainly more of gentleman than most of us.
  • JBlaisdell likes this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
High Chair,

I think that you are not reading my post and intention correctly. I said to make the move if safe and doable without causing incident. I didn't say make it if there is doubt. If there is doubt then there is a safety issue and the advise to the driver would be to not make it. Give all the respect to the front row you want outside of this. Do so and we will take advantage if we can (still under the conditions of doing so safely). I would hardly call someone trying to do this a jackass and the car hasn't come back on the trailer yet because of it. A jackass is the guy that tries it when he shouldn't. So by your definition we should all consider Steve (the subject of the post) a jackass?

As a side note it doesn't usually work out this way though. Usually the guys on the front row are good enough to take the corner without any additional respect and leeway given to them. Usually it works out that we can take advantage as the front guys are ping ponging off of each other and the driver finds the hole. Another very nice talent our driver has and has been used effectively since his karting days.

Another side note to the moderators, why is the word h%ll not allowed and changed to hale ,and the word jackass is allowed?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97
No I was not calling Steve a jack ass; I don't even know him. From previous posts you might see where I thought it was great that he took responsibility for what happened. The jack ass comment refers to the many drivers who dive bomb the starts and are clearly much slower than those they passed before the first turn. If I thought Steve was a jack ass I would have included his name. From all accounts Steve is fast and probably could of held that position if the wreck didn't happen. I am sure everybody on here has been dived bombed at the starts regardless of where they are starting. In fact many of us when we were just getting our feet wet in SM did the dive bombing. I am no exception nor is Drago, Von C, or the others. We just look at it a little different now.
  • JBlaisdell and Jim Drago like this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Usually the guys on the front row are good enough to take the corner without any additional respect and leeway given to them.

I don't think the guys on the front row are looking for any free pass.. They are just looking for a little common sense and a fair start. If the guys on the front row start by the rules they get passed into turn 1 EVERY time. All I would like to see if a good start by all and the rest usually sorts itself out. The best starts I have been a part of is when the pole sitter slows to pace car speed and slowly and smoothly rolls on the throttle, with all being WOT long before the green. That seems to be the most fair for all. If you are on the pole and maintain pace car speed and accelerate when you see the green, you will likely be 5th -10th entering turn 1. Whether we like it or not, that has become SOP ...
So most of us who lead fields from time to time have adopted this procedure. We usually inform P2 exactly of what we are going to do so both lines accelerate at the same rate and has worked well. Every time I see a pole sitter trying to do it by the book or trying to fake the field by accelerating stopping and then hitting brakes again, bad things happen.

Jim
  • Keith Novak likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:56
+1 Well said!

I don't think the guys on the front row are looking for any free pass.. They are just looking for a little common sense and a fair start. If the guys on the front row start by the rules they get passed into turn 1 EVERY time. All I would like to see if a good start by all and the rest usually sorts itself out. The best starts I have been a part of is when the pole sitter slows to pace car speed and slowly and smoothly rolls on the throttle, with all being WOT long before the green. That seems to be the most fair for all. If you are on the pole and maintain pace car speed and accelerate when you see the green, you will likely be 5th -10th entering turn 1. Whether we like it or not, that has become SOP ...
So most of us who lead fields from time to time have adopted this procedure. We usually inform P2 exactly of what we are going to do so both lines accelerate at the same rate and has worked well. Every time I see a pole sitter trying to do it by the book or trying to fake the field by accelerating stopping and then hitting brakes again, bad things happen.

Jim

Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Jim

Still not legal. If the guys behind don't cheat, your reaction time is good, and there is no draft, you'll stay in first.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Still not legal. If the guys behind don't cheat, your reaction time is good, and there is no draft, you'll stay in first.

Rob
I am going to let you fight this fight... I don't get to race enough as it is, I don't want to spend the little time I get losing my front row starting position, losing a potential win and then spend the rest of the weekend in the Stewards office protesting people etc. :noidea:
  • Keith Andrews likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
burgergoon, if i was running the DE I would promote you to the fastes run group since you know all the rules... its called racing, and its amatuer racing here, everyone wants to be first by the first corner. only way you can do that if you got the pole is roll on the power into the green flag, if not you aint got a prayer of being first inot the corner, and if not you then someone will have smashed up car. I am not half the racer as drago and I know this. pull your head out grab a bannana and take a dep breath, post up some vid of some supposed cheater that you race against all will be well inthe world again.. You and communist clown must have some kind of racing cult out there on the liberal coast.
  • Glenn and MPR22 like this

K. Webb