pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Ok I will bite, lets talk NASA for a moment, how did Chris Williams and Hillie do last year?

By my count, Hille won one race at Mid Oh,  Williams does not drive a 1.6, there were 4 other NASA races won by a 99 , the NASA Championship was won by a 99, at the dbl SCCA national the top 6 on each day did not include any 1.6 cars.

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48

My "top prep" 1.6 had every chance at being ahead of yiannis 99 at championships until the engine started to go.  that was the ONLY '99 ahead of my 1.6 the qualifying days at nationals.  And my 1.6 was the only other car than yiannis 99 to lead a lap the whole week.  Lead bolanos, francis jr, price, dinkov, might be forgetting more 99's.

Not trying to brag, just trying to prove a point.  The 1.6 is perfectly capable of winning a championship, it would just be more difficult to do than in a '99

Oh and I plan on running some SCCA Nationals this year..we will see how the 1.6 does...

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

My "top prep" 1.6 had every chance at being ahead of yiannis 99 at championships until the engine started to go.  that was the ONLY '99 ahead of my 1.6 the qualifying days at nationals.  And my 1.6 was the only other car than yiannis 99 to lead a lap the whole week.  Lead bolanos, francis jr, price, dinkov, might be forgetting more 99's.

Not trying to brag, just trying to prove a point.  The 1.6 is perfectly capable of winning a championship, it would just be more difficult to do than in a '99

Oh and I plan on running some SCCA Nationals this year..we will see how the 1.6 does...

I can agree on that also, the cars I see that picked up on the 1.6 and the 99's are the 1.8 cars, especially at  Mid Oh

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

JR, this is not a pick on you post. Your a much better driver than me. If I remember correctly you did some laps at Road America under Oct. cold conditions. What times did you turn at RA and were there any top prep 99's there. How did you race with the 99's that were there? The SCCA race record at RA is 2:42.943.

Those that get their panties all wadded please relax and move to the next post. :idea:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48

You got me there David, times were over 2:46, williams had a low 2:46 in a 1.8.  Although it was only my 2nd time at RA and the car wasn't nearly as good as it was at championships speed-wise.  Couldn't even keep up with Williams in his draft..

There were no top prep top driver 99's there...I don't think there were any at all actually...

YES I look at runoffs times and get very discouraged, but the cars and drivers there have to be at their maximum capability, and im assuming they have to be hooked up in a draft the whole lap to run that fast.  .....but then I look at buras' car at June sprints and get a little spark of encouragement....

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Start another thread or add to the 1000 others started please..

Come on guys, :offtopic: were on page 4 and I know you're not finished. Need my help starting one?

I didn't really want to read through all this to follow the subject.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Those that get their panties all wadded please relax and move to the next post. :idea:

With the above being said, the thread is about an illegal 1.6, as far as I'm concerned it's fair game to talk about any item/issue with 1.6's. :twocents:

Johnny, if you cared to e-mail your 99 torque/horsepower graph I'd be happy to compare/overlay my 1.6 numbers and then we could start a real good discussion of the advantages/disadvantages of one engine or the other. I'd even start a new thread.:yep:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I knew I was pissing in the wind with my last post. :banghead:

Mine, before it blew in Dec was a crate with a season on it and a RE head. So nothing to write home about.

Maybe tonight after a few drink I'll just start deleting the posts that aren't related to the subject. :moon:

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Maybe tonight after a few drink I'll just start deleting the posts that aren't related to the subject. J~

Do what ever trips your trigger. When the ITA site got all full of STAFF like you the readership declined. :moon:  

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

ohh I'm scared.

J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
I only stated a fact. If your scared, that's your personal issue.

Nuff said by me.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

:rotfl:

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Number:29

If I may ask Bench Racer? When was the last time you raced? 

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Back on topic, I didn't see the troublemaker in question on the results at COTA.  Wonder why...

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Would someone care to give the trouble makers car number?

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

IDK, but Mylaps says NASA AAA Mar 3rd...

DQ 97. competitor.pngScott Phillips 10 22:02.271 00:00.000 02:02.707 2 82.147     Mazda Miata, 149911, Green, 1991

J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Only took 76 posts for a name to be posted which i'm sure Rob would have liked to do in his first post...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Only took 76 posts for a name to be posted which i'm sure Rob would have liked to do in his first post...

Meh.  Doesn't really matter.  If I wanted his name posted I would just do it. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
Phillips Takes the Win and SoCal Championship at Buttonwillow

Arizona's Scott Phillips has shown great speed all year long. However, at the last race of the season, Phillips qualified less than half a second in front of Dave Varco, who had regularly been finishing second behind Phillips. When the green dropped, Varco chased Phillips and looked every bit as quick as the teen driver through certain portions of the track.
"It seemed like Dave Varco and I were going to have a pretty good race there for a while," Phillips said, noting that an out-of-class car that spun into the tire barrier at the exit of the Sunrise turn and brought an early end to the race.
Varco tailed Phillips closely for a few laps, but then dropped back noticeably.
"I tried something different over the hill and it didn't work, and I fell back a few car lengths," Varco said. "From then, I kept slipping back a couple of car lengths every lap. So, I won't do that again. But I figured out where I can pass him next time, so hopefully I'll get in that position."

So if I'm Varco and lost the championship and the money that goes with it to the 'win at all cost teens' in NASA, I would be a little more than pisse off.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Mpr22,

You mean the win at all cost TEEN, singular. We are one of the nasa teens and we know the other teen drivers in the SW. They are good people and good drivers. If I used the same criteria you are using then all the adult drivers in scca and nasa are cheating and will put a driver in the weeds at the drop of a hat.

Please don't put us in the win at all cost group until we earn it. Right after I ensured my car would make Saturdays race and that the driver could finish the prep, I was over helping the same Dave varco you mentioned get a new dif in his car. He made the start with about 2you minutes to spare and went on to podium. And I would do it again if we were contesting the championship on the last race with him.
  • Joe (dad) Jordan and DES4 like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users