• Please log in to reply
856 replies to this topic

Sam Barnett

Sam Barnett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Bruce,

I believe the time to file the protest had expired and that's why the competitor would have been able to agree or disagree to the teardown.  Note this is hearsay and I have no direct knowledge.

On a side note, does anyone know if tech/protests/appeals are still going?  It appears that no one wants to talk about what happened due to politics but can someone please at least enlighten us as to where things are in the process.  I can't imagine someone being politically crucified for at least providing a status.

Sam

I'm confused and betting that there's a whole lot more to the discussion between Will and Mike.  What is baffling to me is that a competitor gets to agree/disagree to being protested.  I'll have to admit that I didn't crack the GCR this year, but that's definitely a new one to me  :noidea:

• Roger Caddell likes this

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Yes, the process is still being worked as of two hours ago.  I haven't heard anything new since then.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

No doubt lots of people know what has happened. My guess is no one is under a gag order nor was i asked to keep quiet. But out of respect for the process and competitors this needs to play out. The lawyers are giving their closing arguments...stay tuned.

Appeals process was stiil going on as of 1 hour ago based on a text I received...no decision as of then

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
So how about those Steelers?

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:3

Dear Jaime Florence,

Your statement is taken quite poorly.  When someone intentionally bends down the driver's headlamp cover and leaves a cold air gap that is a form of ducting and therefore cheating.  That was the issue the California stewards and National chose to not to address. Rather they chastised me for making waves and insulting my driving skills was a way of "putting me in line".  I don't claim to be a top driver but am pretty solid.  Please wait for more to be divulged before judging why I choose not to follow certain people and certainly do not want to mimic their behavior.

The issue I was attempting to address was that of how Will was being vilified without any of the facts being out there.  Having received some of the same treatment I felt the way people on this forum were slamming him was inappropriate.  Let's all wait until later today and then all should be revealed.  Once all the facts of the situation are brought forward then and only then people have the right to judge.

BTW, if I am going to follow anyone to learn how to drive better it's Will, Ken, Matt, or Jason.  All absolute class acts that anyone should aspire to follow.  Sorry Jim Graffy, you didn't make the list but my kid sure enjoys following you.  She is figuring out your weaknesses so she can pass you at Rose Cup next year!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I'm confused and betting that there's a whole lot more to the discussion between Will and Mike.  What is baffling to me is that a competitor gets to agree/disagree to being protested.  I'll have to admit that I didn't crack the GCR this year, but that's definitely a new one to me  :noidea:

Bruce. I used a poorly written rule in the supps to protest Will for the exact same tear down. I would have likely lost the protest attempt but it was the only way to get the hearing after the time limit. The Stewards would have allowed my protest with Will's consent. It did not hold merit otherwise on its own.
  • Glenn and Rob Burgoon like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Terrell,

Knowing Jamie this was pretty tongue and check!  Regardless, i don't think anyone discards what you have to say. To say the stewards wouldnt hear you really makes no sense. Given the rules of filling mechanical protests, and assuming you did it all correctly and paid your money...the offending car or cars would have been looked at. If you went up at some point and just started jawing in someones ear then the response may have been as you portrayed as well as your further efforts. Given the fact that one would rarely protest someone behind them...it would seem some steward with a little sense of humor took the opportunity to say "Lighten up Francis!" in his own way.

Once a year or so SFR puts hood gaps on their impound check list...they do look!

FYI...there was a DQ of qualifying times for basically a bent hood this week(NB car). People were working to fix any of their greater than 6mm gaps that day!

• Jaime Florence likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34

Will deserves our respect. 8 of 9 cars found non-compliant in the tech shed. $14K charge on Will's credit card to finance the tech.

I take no satisfaction in this result. I'm sure many on that list were personally unaware. And many are my buddies. But the integrity of our sport relies on compliance. And so we must respect those that help us there, whether they be officials or our fellow competitors.

Thank you Will for bringing this to light.

• Tyler Dahl, Ron Alan, Alberto and 2 others like this

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

So how about those Steelers?

How about those Packers. Scored with only 3 seconds remaining, a win at 27 to 24.

Just as I found/have no issue with Cliff Brown a couple weeks ago in FL, I find/have no issue with Will, Ken and the ??? man with these issues.

Following a couple previous dark gray issues:

Fuel pressure, change the rule.

Timing, change the rule.

Roll cages not mounted to the floor, change the rule.

Whistler, attempt to change the rules.

I can't remember them all, change the rules.

Anyone see a trend ^ ?

Oh, were now over 48 hours for the Guinness book of records.

Ho-hum, anyway this evening is The Good Wife.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Again, to reiterate for those joining late...Wills name is on the protest but it was a group effort. Some will openly put there hand up and some will remain anonymous. The three card Monte effort by some to shift focus toward Will is silly...but this is what defense lawyers get paid to do I guess!

What Juan said is under appeal.

• Juan Pineda likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

Again, to reiterate for those joining late...Wills name is on the protest but it was a group effort. Some will openly put there hand up and some will remain anonymous. The three card Monte effort by some to shift focus toward Will is silly...but this is what defense lawyers get paid to do I guess!

What Juan said is under appeal.

Ron, since you seem to have some kind of sour grapes over this. I'm going to try to make it even clearer for you. Will and I discussed his protest. I VERY CLEARLY let him know I supported it and supported the process. There are no issues on my part about the protest or how it's been handled (yet). In no way am I shifting blame on Will for any part of the protest. I did attempt to hold him/his car to the same level of scrutiny as the rest of the top 10 that he was in...that has already been discussed.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

Will deserves our respect. 8 of 9 cars found non-compliant in the tech shed. 

which car was found compliant?  what year? engine builder?

• Muda likes this

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

jpatrick

jpatrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:California
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:94

Charlie... Mary and I were totally bummed to see you get knocked out so early in the race.

Especially after qualifying 6th!!!

NV Racer

NV Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:70
With 8 of 9 found non compliant. It would seem that all the front runners were on even terms with respect to engine performance. I would like to know from those in the know what advantage does modifying the front side radius provides? Does anyone think they would of won had engines been all identical? Clarify the rule going forward and move on.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Ron, since you seem to have some kind of sour grapes over this. I'm going to try to make it even clearer for you. Will and I discussed his protest. I VERY CLEARLY let him know I supported it and supported the process. There are no issues on my part about the protest or how it's been handled (yet). In no way am I shifting blame on Will for any part of the protest. I did attempt to hold him/his car to the same level of scrutiny as the rest of the top 10 that he was in...that has already been discussed.

No sour grapes nor was anything aimed at you. I believe you said this same thing earlier and i took you at your word. Will also said the same thing to me with regard to your stand.  You understand and have no problem using the protest process as many of us heard first hand during the CRB/SMAC wednesday get together  :D My comment is really aimed at a few early on statements, statements made at the track, and just some general off the forum rumbling. A personal attack on Will, and or Wills actions or lack there of, changes nothing with regard to the problem the protest addresses. 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
Thanks Ron. As a long time SMAC member this is certainly going to give us some off season work to do very quickly.

I believe in the process. We need to be self policing. Good to see people (or groups of people) step up.
  • Ron Alan likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

sideshow

sideshow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
108 people watching this thread.

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:145

Should we post video here or in a separate thread?  I almost have a highlight/lowlight video uploaded to You Tube.

Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

You're not a defense lawyer are you Mike...LOL??? That would be pretty funny completely unintended on my part!

Another thread Steve!!! We need a distraction! Can you say OJ?

Ron

RAmotorsports

greengreengreen

greengreengreen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Has anyone else had a problem accessing the results page?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users