Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

oh and cool suits of for wussies

Kyle, feel free to come to Texas for our August races.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Maybe I'll do a Kickstarter project to raise money for a full-on 1.6 team assault to take back the class. Any backers? Your name will be on the cars, plus you get a t-shirt and a bumper sticker. Premium donation level gets you a free test seession, and high donator will get one free race in one of the cars. I'll accept cash or usable parts.
  • Alberto and Danica Davison like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

I resent you for saying that!  supposedly the 97 is the worst fo all the cars, I have proved what I can do in one of those.  if the 1.6 is overdogged I will own one though :)

And if it isn't, you will keep the overdog you now have Kyle { :)>

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Pat - you know the motto of the class - OVERDOGS RULE!

• pat slattery likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Karl

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Johnny, you know if you ask, I'll reply (even if asked in jest)

Hard to believe only a few of us see this as clear as day.  While we are at it, just reading through the posts and looking at the charts, the VVT needs 50-75 more pounds AND a 2 mm bigger hole to bring it more even with the 99-00.  So here is the updated list.

-Remove outer FW ring on 1600 only and reduce min weight from 17.6 lbs by corresponding amount.

-Reduce the RP size for the 99-00 by 2 mm and add 50 lbs

-Increase the weight of the VVT by 100 lbs

-DO NOT go back to "Mazda only" machined heads.  In fact, allow port modification into port below valve seats to 9 and 12 mm (distances as currently specified in rules) 

Don't forget to laugh often today.  Es kann viel schlimmer sein.  

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Karl, you seem determined to lighten the 1.6 flywheel. While I'm not actually opposed to it, I hate that it is seen as a significant way to compensate for less "real" torque. Granted, removing the outer ring is the ideal way to do it and given the option I absolutely would take it, but not instead of more meaningful change. Surely you agree that the difference will be meaningful only in low gears when the car is actually accelerating briskly (to say quickly would be optimistic for SM). People expecting to suddenly match the 1.8s out of most corners let alone up hills, such as the first part of the front straight at Road America, will be soarly disappointed.
  • Jim Drago and B(Kuch)Kucera45 like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Johnny, you know if you ask, I'll reply (even if asked in jest)

Hard to believe only a few of us see this as clear as day.  While we are at it, just reading through the posts and looking at the charts, the VVT needs 50-75 more pounds AND a 2 mm bigger hole to bring it more even with the 99-00.  So here is the updated list.

-Remove outer FW ring on 1600 only and reduce min weight from 17.6 lbs by corresponding amount.

-Reduce the RP size for the 99-00 by 2 mm and add 50 lbs

-Increase the weight of the VVT by 100 lbs

-DO NOT go back to "Mazda only" machined heads.  In fact, allow port modification into port below valve seats to 9 and 12 mm (distances as currently specified in rules) 

Don't forget to laugh often today.  Es kann viel schlimmer sein.  

Karl i do not know what your basing you opinions on but its not anything that i have witnesses. At a short track like Mid O, My VVT and my two buddies in 1.6's are extremely  close. Driver with the fewest mistakes wins. our lap times are within .300 or less. adding 100 lbs to the VVT thus giving the 1.6 a 200lb advantage is not realistic.

Honestly i do not think the VVT and the 99 are that far apart either.

This is what i think it should be

1) leave the plunge cut rule alone, refine it for strict compliance, don't change the rule, change enforcement.

2) Give the 1.6 a Wt reduction at certain tracks only(big tracks)

3) leave 99 and VVT alone

As i have said in the past its track specific

I will say this what ever wholesale changes they come up with, they should have a mid season review, so we do not get stuck with BS for the entire season.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

While I don't disagree that the extra 100# sounds excessive, all else being equal 0.3 per lap can be several rows on the grid and not even in view at the checkered.
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Take a look at my ARRC video below shot this past weekend of what i believe to be fully legal current-spec cars - VVT cars from TiSpeed and my 99 from Rossini, (Compression in line and no STR work) and tell me which car has an obvious advantage.

Show me the time code and explain what you see - I dont want to be argumentative, I just want to understand why some want to penalize the VVT with weight. Believe me I would have preferred to win but it was not the VVT that kicked my butt!!!!! It was me!

• JRHille likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

My VVT and my two buddies in 1.6's are extremely close

Frank, you are a very good driver, but, honest opinion, I believe if you put Murdick in a "bells and whistles" VVT at Mid-O he will disappear from the rest of the field, including you.

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Frank, you are a very good driver, but, honest opinion, I believe if you put Murdick in a "bells and whistles" VVT at Mid-O he will disappear from the rest of the field, including you.

I am humbled by Brian's talent. But on the other hand Brian's car is not as good as it could be. So that cuts the other way on your speculation.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I am humbled by Brian's talent. But on the other hand Brian's car is not as good as it could be. So that cuts the other way on your speculation.

What are you talking about, You and I only beat Brian Murdick by holding him up!  :raincloud:

K. Webb