Photo

You Make The Call - Atlanta 7/2015

- - - - -

Best Answer Todd Green , 08-05-2015 10:30 AM

Sorry to post a little late, just catching up on this thread.  Chris you know I respect you, but when you say side to side contact, I have a hard time understanding that point of view.  Sure ultimately it was side to side, but look at this still frame from the vid:

sm_ra_contact.png

Steve has significant steering input, the door is already closing and you can clearly see Joe's car is still completely behind Steve's car (though moving fast to the left).  Now the monkey in the wrench is the speed differential in cars.  This is just bad juju every time.  Anyway, in my book side-to-side means that you have overlap before the leading car has turned in (or minimally the trailing car has presented itself to let you know the dive bomb is coming.)  Clearly that is not the case here.   The trailing car had to have seen that Steve wasn't leaving room for whatever reason.  Perhaps the trailing car didn't have time to react, but IMO on a test day he should never have taken the chance in the first place and backed off long before it got to that point.  I don't know Steve beyond his posts here, but I'd wager that if he knew that Joe was going to stuff it in there, he'd have left room.  Very few people are going to intentionally risk injury and damage to prove a point on a testing day.  So the question becomes is it reasonable for Steve to have kept watching his mirrors after he'd already turned in?  I'd say no.  Sure there are circumstances with out of class cars and massive closing rates where you'd better be ready to leave the door open, but for in class if I've checked my mirrors before turning in and there is no car to the inside of me I'm turning down and looking where I'm going.  If you can run a corner while looking in your mirror and not lose time (or drive off track), you're much better at this than I am.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Go have a few beers with him, you'll soon understand, make amends, laugh with him, make a friend, move on.
Been there, done that.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

A slight hijack but relevant.

In our region we have seen some driving that is unsafe, getting forced into the grass, blocking chopping at the apex.

At our next event we are going to have an SM driver meeting and have a brief review of the rules of the road in SCCA, which by the way is slightly different than NASA. NASA you can force a competitor two wheels in the grass once you have the line by moving in front of that car.

SCCA is racing room.

I wonder how many guys have read the rules? We are going to review them:

RULES OF THE ROAD

On Course Driver Conduct

A.

Drivers are responsible to avoid physical contact between cars on

the race track.

B.

Each competitor has a right to

racing room, which is generally

defined as sufficient space on the marked racing surface that under

racing conditions, a driver can maintain control of his car in close

quarters.

C.

Drivers must respect the right of other competitors to

racing room.

Abrupt changes in direction that impede or affect the path of

another car attempting to overtake or pass may be interpreted as

an effort to deprive a fellow competitor of the right to

racing room.

D.

The overtaking driver is responsible for the decision to pass another

car and to accomplish it safely. The overtaken driver is responsible

to be aware that he is being passed and not to impede or block the

overtaking car. A driver who does not use his rear view mirror or

who appears to be

blocking another car attempting to pass may be

black flagged and/or penalized, as specified in Section 7

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Go have a few beers with him, you'll soon understand, make amends, laugh with him, make a friend

"You are known by the company you keep".

There is an ocean of friendly, honest, thoughtful, sincere people in the racing community.  I'd rather be in their company.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Steve S., I understand your frustration. My wife once got clobbered at VIR on a TEST DAY. The other driver never approached us afterward. We finally went to him and with no remorse at all he told us "I was just airing-out the car." (whatever that means)

So no, actually Hell no, I wasn't going to have a few beers and be his new bestest buddy.

At our next event we are going to have an SM driver meeting

Do we have to wear our helmets at the meeting? Is this because you got boned at the last Mid-O race?

• Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

A slight hijack but relevant.

SCCA is racing room.

I wonder how many guys have read the rules? We are going to review them:

Thanks. A good reminder for everyone Frank.

But to avoid confusion about this event, THIS WAS A TEST DAY.  And not even a SCCA test day.  It was a track-run test day.

IMHO, during a test day, the overtaking driver should use MORE CAUTION and be WAY LESS AGGRESSIVE than qualifying and race.  Especially with a car/driver you have little or no prior experience with.  Wait for a point-by or wait for the next straight unless you have comfort with the driver/car.  And regardless, don't go for a low-percentage or high-risk pass with anyone during a TEST DAY.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Unfortunately the wording about racing room can be interpreted as primarily a responsibility of the car being overtaken, but as I think Frank alluded to earlier, it applies to both cars. Squeezing into a space smaller than your car is depriving the other of racing room, no matter which car you are in.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

scott sanda

scott sanda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Too many times, drivers in any given class try to "win" a test day.  If all they do is take themselves out, it is Darwinism at it's best.

Unfortunately, they often take someone with them. 

It's one thing to spin or crash testing limits, it's totally another doing low percentage crap with other cars.

I wish I knew a workable solution to the issue.

• Steve Scheifler likes this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

As it happens, any driver who showed up for the mandatory meeting Friday morning got an earful of very strong warnings about winning test day. Didn't help much, there were multiple other incidents and needless contact, from what I was told even that same session as I sat in my wrecked car.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

"You are known by the company you keep".

There is an ocean of friendly, honest, thoughtful, sincere people in the racing community.  I'd rather be in their company.

See, you don't want to talk to him, you don't want to except his apology, you don't know him.

If you don't talk to him, you'll never know how big of dick he really is, or isn't. :)

If positions were reversed, how would you feel.

The meetings don't seem to be working, maybe a one-on-one conversation?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
If someone is really sorry they make every effort to apologize privately. A personal phone call is probably in order with a real apology that isn't followed with if's and but's.

And no Johnny I don't need you candy or nuts comment.

Anytime someone says sorry but this or that they are not sorry imo.

Sorry to see this incedent, just glad Steve is OK could have been much worse
  • Jason J Ball likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

A few weeks ago a situation occurred and the other driver looked me up, he took full credit for the situation and we shook hands. Done deal. Latter he offered a beer.

• MPR22 and FTodaro like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
"Ignore the man behind the current" ( thunder crashing and Johnny pulling levers ) :)

Steve...you came on here and posted. Not all are going to agree with you 100%. That said, TEST DAY really helps your cause. And because of that alone this should not have happened IMO

Rob...always appreciate your cut to the chase answers!

Just when I think I've read the rules of both organizations to the point of memorization...a ruling comes down seemingly not consistentb with what is written. What I have found consistent is this...

The final result will depend on who is reviewing it, who the 2 drivers are, what region it is in, and what region each driver is from!

Dean can relate to this....

BTW...if in fact the white and yellow car driver is a douche, I wouldn't want to drink or eat with him either! But I don't know him or Steve...only what they write...
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Passing car 100% at fault on a test day.

Passing car also very likely to be found at fault in a race, either org, especially without video.

And video from the passing car may or may not show a different story! Even the red car that was passed may have video that shows exactly what Steve is saying or may not? Bottom line is video may save your ass or may sink you for not having it! Even on a test day :(

Ron

RAmotorsports

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

A few weeks ago a situation occurred and the other driver looked me up, he took full credit for the situation and we shook hands. Done deal. Latter he offered a beer.

That is the way i would handle things.

I truly believe that most of the worlds problems could be resolved with BEER if just given a chance.

Best practices IMO is to go to the other driver as soon as you get to the paddock and explain discuss and resolve.

Tom Sager the time i put you in the fence at the Mid O major, how long was it before i found you in the paddock?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

That is the way i would handle things.

I truly believe that most of the worlds problems could be resolved with BEER if just given a chance.

Best practices IMO is to go to the other driver as soon as you get to the paddock and explain discuss and resolve.

Tom Sager the time i put you in the fence at the Mid O major, how long was it before i found you in the paddock?

I don't remember making it all the way to the fence but you were a stand up guy very quickly afterwards.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Steve, as I now know, I attempted to introduce myself and discuss the incident at the track but you were understandably angry and ultimately refused to do so.  Please allow me extend an apology for my misinterpretation of your positioning on the track and it's contribution to the incident as I now know you had never been to RA.  I am absolutely sickened by the end result of the incident as I greatly appreciate the lengths we all go to in order to get out and share our passion.  As I eluded to earlier, I have intentions of running in this class as long as it's feasible so I'm not here to make enemies.  In the future I certainly will be even more cognizant of people who may be learning a new track.  Let me reaffirm that I would never intentionally make a move that I thought would result in contact, much less the destruction of a competitor's car.

Seems like he tried.

I don't see a picture of Steve here but..
https://en.wikipedia...iki/Prima_donna

Not looking in his mirrors.
Driving down the middle of the track.
Geez.

J~

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Seems like he tried.

Geez.
J~

He did not try, I tried and all he did was deny, and that only AFTER I tracked HIM down. No points for that.

If expecting to not be raped from behind without warning by a classless ape makes me a Prima Donna, then so be it!

As for your characterization of my driving and use of the mirrors, it is as inconsistent with the video as his statement above that "I was door to door with the blue car and he came back down track resulting in the unfortunate contact."

Who are you anyway, his mother?

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So what's your next move. ?

How much damage have you got ?

Are you going to file rape charges?

J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Seems like he tried.

Geez.

J~

Johnny-

I think you are wrong here.  At the very least, there are two vastly different sides to this story...and you are only quoting one of them...and completely disregarding the alternative version of events.  You have yet to make any comments to Euro about why his version is so vastly different from Steve's...and yet, you are really busting Steve's balls for his version. 

I find the inconsistent handling of the two parties, well....inconsistent (and more than just your usual Donkey self).  If you've got some additional knowlege that sheds some independent light on the different versions of events, and justifies your differential treatment here, then come on out with it. 

• Jim Drago likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I know, I just got tired of being nice.

J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users