Photo

You Make The Call - Atlanta 7/2015

- - - - -

Best Answer Todd Green , 08-05-2015 10:30 AM

Sorry to post a little late, just catching up on this thread.  Chris you know I respect you, but when you say side to side contact, I have a hard time understanding that point of view.  Sure ultimately it was side to side, but look at this still frame from the vid:

sm_ra_contact.png

Steve has significant steering input, the door is already closing and you can clearly see Joe's car is still completely behind Steve's car (though moving fast to the left).  Now the monkey in the wrench is the speed differential in cars.  This is just bad juju every time.  Anyway, in my book side-to-side means that you have overlap before the leading car has turned in (or minimally the trailing car has presented itself to let you know the dive bomb is coming.)  Clearly that is not the case here.   The trailing car had to have seen that Steve wasn't leaving room for whatever reason.  Perhaps the trailing car didn't have time to react, but IMO on a test day he should never have taken the chance in the first place and backed off long before it got to that point.  I don't know Steve beyond his posts here, but I'd wager that if he knew that Joe was going to stuff it in there, he'd have left room.  Very few people are going to intentionally risk injury and damage to prove a point on a testing day.  So the question becomes is it reasonable for Steve to have kept watching his mirrors after he'd already turned in?  I'd say no.  Sure there are circumstances with out of class cars and massive closing rates where you'd better be ready to leave the door open, but for in class if I've checked my mirrors before turning in and there is no car to the inside of me I'm turning down and looking where I'm going.  If you can run a corner while looking in your mirror and not lose time (or drive off track), you're much better at this than I am.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Me too. :)
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

This seems to have grown a life of its own.. 

I agree there are countless good people in Sm and unfortunately some that are not so good. I am not having dinner, beer or a hand shake with any that I put in the latter category, life is just too short! Nor would I suggest it to others.   No idea if the driver in question does or does not fit that category.  We don't need to like each other, just need to get along. If driver A puts driver B in the DB category, that's not my business. Only Steve and Joe know what happened in the post crash conversation, so not sure we are qualified to comment? As background,  I can say I have known Steve for awhile and he is a man of his word and certainly not some one looking for money for the repair of his crashed car. He one of the most ethical guys I have met in racing. If he tells me something, I believe it with out question. He has earned that trust with me.  

If I were behind Steve and "I" saw that slight move right..  "I" would interpret that as Steve seeing me in the mirror and moving off line  as he was checked up for the red car. BUT, the difference would be I would absolutely be covering the brake just in case and not taking it at full speed leaving myself some time and space should it be needed. IT WAS TEST DAY AFTER ALL!  

I can say with some certainty, that had Steve had a conversation that went a little more like what most described above.  Any type of "I'm sorry" he would have accepted and apology and moved on rather quickly. Surprised to see all this banter, so from past experience, I have to think it has some merit.

Jim 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

As background,  I can say I have known Steve for awhile and he is a man of his word and certainly not some one looking for money for the repair of his crashed car.

He one of the most ethical guys I have met in racing.

If he tells me something, I believe it with out question.

He has earned that trust with me.  

Jim 

I also have known Steve and Tom Scheifler a long time. Raced with Steve a month ago.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

guest driver

guest driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:11
  • Car Number:90

Anytime there's contact, gentlemen go look for the other car/driver, your fault or not, the dude went into the wall, he deserves a personal conversation ... 

reminds me of 10 years ago at the Mid Ohio Pro SM race, I was punted off on lap 1 while running inside the top 10, got all tore up, drove it back to the pits and retired the car with extensive damage.

I was so pissed I immediately left the track to drive back to the airport. Got a call on the drive to Columbus, apparently the guy who punted me off came over to find me and got my cell phone number from my crew, he then apologized profusely for the incident. That was a class move, like I said, "gentlemen" go find the other driver if there's contact. To this day, nothing but respect for that guy.

Hey Jim Drago, I just wanted to let you know ...  it was partly my fault, I kinda brake checked you there to get you off my ass and a better exit, dumb ass move on my part :)

• Johnny D and Jim Drago like this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Anytime there's contact, gentlemen go look for the other car/driver, your fault or not, the dude went into the wall, he deserves a personal conversation ... 

reminds me of 10 years ago at the Mid Ohio Pro SM race, I was punted off on lap 1 while running inside the top 10, got all tore up, drove it back to the pits and retired the car with extensive damage.

I was so pissed I immediately left the track to drive back to the airport. Got a call on the drive to Columbus, apparently the guy who punted me off came over to find me and got my cell phone number from my crew, he then apologized profusely for the incident. That was a class move, like I said, "gentlemen" go find the other driver if there's contact. To this day, nothing but respect for that guy.

Hey Jim Drago, I just wanted to let you know ...  it was partly my fault, I kinda brake checked you there to get you off my ass and a better exit, dumb ass move on my part :)

long term friendship came of it.. so not all bad :)  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Carlos, he has been using that move ever since you taught it to him.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Carlos, he has been using that move ever since you taught it to him.

You have to learn a little and take a little from everyone you meet along the way to be successful :)

• MPR22 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

A timely piece from Winding road about assessing fault on metal to metal contact. 

http://www.windingro...ame-in-a-crash/

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

NASA you can force a competitor two wheels in the grass once you have the line by moving in front of that car.

That is not the intent of the rule, it says, "The main purpose of the “¾ car width” rule is not to allow one driver to “squeeze” the other driver. The main purpose and intent is to alert the mind of the driver that is contemplating a pass that he/she may be “forced” to go two (2) wheels off-course to avoid a collision."

I really wish they didn't write the rule as they did and just said you had to leave a car width, because everyone just remembers the first part of the rule and not the clarification.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Steve, sorry your car was damaged, but glad you were not hurt.  It's always hard to make a call based on one vid, but my thoughts are:

1) It was already a messed up situation due to you passing a much slower car and you slowing considerably to make a considerate pass

2) The only reason you are offline is because you were passing said car.  It seems fairly clear from the vid that you are committed to the corner and you can see that you have significant steering input towards the apex while the yellow/white car is still behind you.

3) Given this was a T&T day, you'd think the trailing white/yellow car would have just backed out of it and passed you after the esses.  (Caveat I don't know that corner and there are certainly corners where you cannot just jam on the brakes without spinning etc., but the trailing car had plenty of time to see what was developing in front of him and should have reacted accordingly.  It isn't like this was the last lap of a race and he was lapping you with 2nd place right on his bumper.)

Under the NASA system I'd give 6 points to the white/yellow car and 1 point to you given the evidence presented.  Why 1 point?  The idea is that if you are constantly having contact, even if you are the victim then something must be going on.  You get 10 points per season before (mandatory) action is taken, so a one-off 1 point won't matter, but they will add up and gives a paper trail/history.  (This also answers the other poster's question of why fault should be assessed IMO.)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Interesting Todd, thanks. I understand your reasoning because if a driver is just too slow or inattentive then they may be involved in an inordinate number of incidents without ever being solidly at fault. On the other hand, if I believed that I truly was not at any fault, in this case because it was a test day and I know that under race conditions I would have slowed less (because I can reasonably expect the driver of the red car to be more attentive), then I would vigorously appeal even the one point. Why? Because it sets a precedence and if I'm unlucky enough to be the victim again then there is no way to un-ring that first bell, making the next decision all the more likely to go against me. And on principle, though I could maybe swallow that to get it settled and move on if that were truly the end of it.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

I hear you and am not sure I totally agree with the rules, but that is what they are.  I was in a race a few years ago where a guy didn't brake in a corner, hit me from behind (his front bumper to my rear) and sent me off track (with me losing two positions) and I got one point in that situation.  Of course I felt I was not at at fault at all and was pretty unhappy about it.  But I had no other contact that season, so the slate was clean for the next year (*).  It really does suck when you are a pure victim, but in the big picture it doesn't matter since the odds of you getting enough points to get called in to talk to the Race Director are close to zero.  Where it does come into play is say for another driver in our region that had the habit of spinning near the front of the field (he has a pretty fast car for the run group, but of course was slow in the corners) on the opening lap.  Of course this causes all sorts of mayhem with the field.  He did it at our last race and 5 cars were damaged, with at least 2 written off.  Now had he been given a point every time he spun in front of the field, plus 6 for the gran carambolage, he easily could be done for the season.  If you don't keep the paper trail and say he spun in another region it would just get chalked up to "stuff happens, that's racing".   With the notes in his record you could see that it wasn't an isolated incident.  As long as the notes say something like (0% at fault, mandatory 1 pt) in your records, I've more or less come to endorse it.  (Though it is still salt in the wound at the time it happens.)

There is way too much carnage in our class IMO.  It luckily rarely gets people hurt, but can.  For sure it burns people out, scares new people away, and thins the fields when cars get wadded up and racers cannot afford to fix them or build another.  I've personally had it with the same racers who are constantly causing incidents and never seem to learn.  They need to be politely told to find a different hobby.  NASA has a systematic way of doing that (assuming it is applied, which isn't always the case.)

* I'd like to see a rolling 12 month cycle where points drop off.  You shouldn't feel like you have "fouls to give" just because it is January (or whatever month your racing season begins in.)

• Johnny D likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

Go have a few beers with him, you'll soon understand, make amends, laugh with him, make a friend, move on.
Been there, done that.
J~

I had a similar incident at my first trip to VIR a few of years back when a driver tried unsuccessfully to pass me in Hog Pen. On Test Day. During the very first session. On the out lap. I spun and ended up in the tire wall with two broken ribs and lots of damage to a rental car. The other driver was a former National Champion and very experienced driver. I was a rookie. I had never been in that situation so my "situational awareness" did not contemplate a pass at that point. I was pissed.

A friend reviewed my video and confirmed the pass was ill-advised. At the same time, he pointed out things that I could have seen in my mirrors that might have allowed me to avoid the incident. "Even if it wasn't your fault, you still have to pay to fix the car. Learn how to avoid the repair bills."

The same friend knew the other driver and spoke to him. the other driver initially said that he thought he had room and he thought I saw him. My friend said video confirmed he was in error.

At the end of Test Day, the other driver stopped by later with two cases of beer - one for me and one for the crew who had to fix my car. We aired our points of view to each other (I had cooled down by then but I was still pissed). I felt better that he acknowledged his error. We had a beer and talked racing, race cars and race drivers. We talked about families and work.

The other driver reviewed my other videos and shared his considerable experience with me. He offered to coach me throughout the weekend. Afterwards he stopped by frequently between sessions, not just to see me but others in my paddock, too. He won one race and came in second in the other. I finished P28/32 in the first and P19/31 in the second, the improvement mainly due to the other driver's coaching.

Lessons learned: 1. I got screwed on Test Day. 2. It cost me money. 3. Broken ribs hurt a long time. 4. I made a friend. 5. I became a better racer.

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Under the NASA system I'd give 6 points to the white/yellow car and 1 point to you given the evidence presented. Why 1 point? The idea is that if you are constantly having contact, even if you are the victim then something must be going on. You get 10 points per season before (mandatory) action is taken, so a one-off 1 point won't matter, but they will add up and gives a paper trail/history. (This also answers the other poster's question of why fault should be assessed IMO.)

Seems very sensible and well thought out.
SCCA should look at using the same system.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Despite few of us being there, and going on video and heresay, as well as written posts, I thought why the hell not, let me also chime in. I "know" both drivers. By that I mean I barely know them. Not overly friendly with either, not enemies with either. Cordial competitors that I have shared the track with. Both have raced me fair.

WITH REGARD TO THE INCIDENT

As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely NO way that there was room to pass on the inside of T4 unless the car ahead is way off line, and Steve with his shallow entry through T3 was briefly off line and quickly coming back to the preferred line when he was hit by (IMO) an aggressive and unnecessary move.  Sure another video would possibly reveal some other factors at work that we cannot discern from Steve's multiple cameras, but in their absence, the fault lies 100% with the passing driver

WITH REGARD TO THE APPROACH AFTER THE SESSION

There is just absolutely NO reason to not immediately go to the other driver and find out if they are OK and either apologize, if you are at fault, or ask to see their video if you think they possibly caused it. But to be the passing driver who punts the car ahead of you off the track and then NOT GO AND CHECK ON THEM, that is just SERIOUSLY INEXCUSABLE BEHAVIOR. 

ENUFF SAID. FLAME SUIT ON

• steveracer, Jim Drago and mhiggins10 like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

WITH REGARD TO THE APPROACH AFTER THE SESSION

He did, Steve didn't want to talk to him.
J~

Steve, as I now know, I attempted to introduce myself and discuss the incident at the track but you were understandably angry and ultimately refused to do so. Please allow me extend an apology for my misinterpretation of your positioning on the track and it's contribution to the incident as I now know you had never been to RA. I am absolutely sickened by the end result of the incident as I greatly appreciate the lengths we all go to in order to get out and share our passion. As I eluded to earlier, I have intentions of running in this class as long as it's feasible so I'm not here to make enemies. In the future I certainly will be even more cognizant of people who may be learning a new track. Let me reaffirm that I would never intentionally make a move that I thought would result in contact, much less the destruction of a competitor's car.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Were you there Johnny? I've read two conflicting versions of whom approached whom. You're basing your assumption on one version.

Why is that?

• Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I'm sure he will be pleased to know that his carefully worded deception fooled at least ONE person.

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

J~

You are wrong Johnny. That's what Joe tried to make it seem with his fuzzy description.
Steve had to go find him to discuss the incident.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Fair enough.

Fine, He's an evil man, be bitter, hold a grudge, take him out next time out.

At least pee on his trailer.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users