FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

It would be interesting to hear from the guys on track but looking at Danny's video, i am not sure you would need your head lights. If i were in an NA i would not be running them. Wonder if that is a rule that you have to have them on, lol.

• Blake Thompson and ECOBRAP like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

Looks like Ross tried an interesting areo package for that night session.  Not sure that dragging half the bumper around the track is something I would would have tried.  But hey…  Ross is usually faster than me so what do I know.

• Cnj, Blake Thompson and mhiggins10 like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

Headlights on. Nothing about them being up :)

From the supps: 

5.9 Cars running in evening sessions under the lights must run with their stock headlights and running lights on at all times. Additional forward-facing driving lights may be added, but may not substitute any stock lighting.

It would be interesting to hear from the guys on track but looking at Danny's video, i am not sure you would need your head lights. If i were in an NA i would not be running them. Wonder if that is a rule that you have to have them on, lol.

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

1. You have no idea if the headlights in your mirror belong to your mortal enemy about to punt you into the wall, or of your teammate about to push you to the pole.
2. There is very little depth perception if where the car behind you is or how fast he is closing...

Check the rules of course...
I used 2" blue tape on the back window with a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between to cut down the glare for night time enduros.
You can tell their still there or not, just don't go blind trying to figure it out.
Or a light tint film on both mirror or Aviator Style Sunglasses or anti glare helmet shield/visor.

You and your team mate can use one different colored headlight, both the same colored or 2 different colored ones if a lot do this.
Or colored film covering all or part of the headlight.

Thanks for posting.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Agreed, looks like the floodlights provide enough to see the whole track, unless Danny messed with the brightness/contrast in his video.

NA's should be able to drive with just their driving lights and side markers on IMO.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Wednesday recap - Mazda's John Doonan, and Spec Miata provisional front row Andrew Carbonell and Selin Rollan join the show tonight.

http://www.scca.com/videos/1972452
J~

Watch from 13:44 - Selin Rollan and Andrew Carbonell give you an idea of the excitement in the car as they realize just how fast their lap is going to be. Both are such great representatives of our Spec Miata class

• True North and Chris Fulton like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

Agreed, looks like the floodlights provide enough to see the whole track, unless Danny messed with the brightness/contrast in his video.

NA's should be able to drive with just their driving lights and side markers on IMO.

damn popup relay keeps breaking....

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Watch from 13:44 - Selin Rollan and Andrew Carbonell give you an idea of the excitement in the car as they realize just how fast their lap is going to be. Both are such great representatives of our Spec Miata class

Selin owe's an beer to Andrew for bailing him out of that tailspin.

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

The backup plan, if you don't want to watch it next year...

Somebody (not me) because I'll be at work or traveling down to LA again. (why I'm not here on the weekends)

Should do a gopro tripod and record from there laptop.

Not sure if the SCCA will come knocking on your door later and have you arrested but that's another story.

J~

http://shop.soloshot.com/#

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Cool product Blake, but I don't get it in the application.

Is your laptop going to be running around the room and this follows it ??

Or seriously does it record what's displayed on your laptop like "print screen"  ??

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Cool, yes. But truly awesome if it were a flying drone camera that could follow you at a defined distance to film you (or your race car).
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Mount it to the bottom of the drone.

J~

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Copied and pasted from Heyward Wagner email:

Good Morning from the World Center of Racing- Daytona International Speedway!

Today is Tire Rack Pole Day at the SCCA Runoffs presented by Garmin VIRB and you can follow all the action by tuning into SCCA LIVE timing and scoring and the audiocast at http://www.scca.com/live

Don’t forget- Starting tomorrow morning, SCCA LIVE will be broadcasting video and timing and scoring of all 28 classes here at the runoffs. Tune in to hear the call from Greg Creamer, Dorsey Schroeder, Rick Benjamin and Jeff Lepper. I will be reporting from the pits and interviewing the podium finishers after each race. You can see the schedule here: http://www.scca.com/pages/schedule-2

To tune in, all you have to do is go to www.SCCA.com and click the LIVE COVERAGE link!

In case you missed it- We have been recapping each days action with the End of Day videocast. Sit down with Jeff Lepper and myself and get caught up on all the news and notes of each day and hear from some of the personalities.

Monday: Welcome to Daytona
Guests: John Heinricy and Eric Prill
Link: http://www.scca.com/...ap-from-daytona

Tuesday: It’s Ladies Night!
Guests: Meg Sauce and Laura Hayes
Link: http://www.scca.com/...uce-laura-hayes

Wednesday: Mazda Under the Lights
Guests: John Doonan, Andrew Carbonell and Selin Rollan
Link: http://www.scca.com/...miata-front-row

Look for tonight’s show, “Tire Rack Pole Night” to be available this evening.

Stay tuned!

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Copied and pasted from Heyward Wagner email:

You mean your not greeting us from Daytona ??

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
Just rained for 7 minutes. AS and T1on track. They may dry it enough if it doesn't rain again.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
FV up next at 2:40
Sm up at 3:15
J~

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Looks like Bolanos & Collum grabbed row 2.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Cool product Blake, but I don't get it in the application.

Is your laptop going to be running around the room and this follows it ??

Or seriously does it record what's displayed on your laptop like "print screen"  ??

J~

You stick a tracking tag on your object (Spec Miata) and place the tripod high enough for a good vantage of the race.  It can pipe to the laptop and upload live to the net.

To steve's point, the tracking drone, that's not far behind.  I've seen applications for that already but the typical drone only has 7-15m flight time right now.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

It was Tom's point, but I'll take it.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Mount it to the bottom of the drone.
J~

Still need the drone to move automatically to maintain a defined distance from target.

Getting a drone that can fly at 136 mph might be a challenge.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users