38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
If a shallow win or trophies does it for you. Not something I would be proud of but to each his own. I guess your buddies back home won't know the difference.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

If a shallow win or trophies does it for you. Not something I would be proud of but to each his own. I guess your buddies back home won't know the difference.

Jane, you arrogant slut! 

• James York likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Hmmm, if viewed from a marketing perspective what can we learm from this?

Is it possible that some 1.6 owners are not satisfied with the product that SM offers?

We should probably ask those entering. Most (including myself) feel they are entering this class as they can't compete in SM or simply feel they have a much better chance of competing here. The real question is why? Despite popular opinion, it isn't the rules. The rules and parity could be a few tenths at best, not seconds.

I think despite all this rules debating and blaming.. we don't have much of a rules or parity problem.. We have a funding, experience and talent problem. Our class is comprised of many who have little to no experience all the way to many who are basically pro drivers. We have cars that many of us would never sit in all the way up to cars that are 60k plus. Hp disparities from 110 to 130 and so on and so on. Unfortunately most on the lower end of ALL these disparities are in 1.6 cars and thus the feeling we have a rules/parity issue.
  • James York likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

We should probably ask those entering. Most (including myself) feel they are entering this class as they can't compete in SM or simply feel they have a much better chance of competing here. The real question is why.. despite popular opinion, it isnt the rules. the rules and parity is a few tenths at best, not seconds.
I think despite all this rules debating and blaming.. we don't have much of a rules or parity problem.. We have a funding, experience and talent problem. Our class is comprised of many who have little to no experience all the way to many who are basically pro drivers. We have cars that many of us would never sit in all the way up to cars that are 60k plus. Hp disparities from 110 to 130.

Why do you keep saying this???  Waisitng your time here!!!!  Its the car morris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

If a shallow win or trophies does it for you.

Maybe not shallow for long. Eight entries in the Turkey Trot so far - a few more entries and you've got an average Majors field.

We have cars that many of us would never sit in all the way up to cars that are 60k plus. Hp disparities from 110 to 130.         

And is this an ideal situation for a 'spec' class to be in?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

And is this an ideal situation for a 'spec' class to be in?

No, in a perfect world these problems wouldn't exist. Those in these spots would fix their shortcomings. Unfortunately for all, this is the real world and club racing. There will always be massive disparities in talent, funding, experience and car preparation. None of this is reason to adjust rules, class philosophy or add more classes.
  • Todd Lamb and mellen like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

John Wilding

John Wilding

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:CFR / Southeast
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:126

Hey there fellas, I'm usually a very quiet lurker and also a 1.6 driver that entered his car in the SMSE class for Turkey Trot. I entered the class mainly for the water cooler talk at the office on Monday. It's easier to say that I finished 1st-3rd vs. 8th-20th without having to explain the differences in weight, torque, displacement, etc between NA's and NB's. 

I want one SM class and will be doing what the rules allow in the future to get my 1.6 competitive, but for this Turkey Trot I'll enter as SMSE for the heck of it. The plan is to race for the SMSE victory, but I also want to see how I stack up against the normal competition as I finally have a new motor. 

As for the car prep, our car is a very well prepped 1.6 and the talent behind the wheel is hit or miss based on the weekend. I just haven't had the scratch to invest in an NB as our little 1.6 has been chugging a long for all these years and I only get to race a few times a year so the investment was too much to swallow.

Last year I finished 8th in both races and hope to do the same if not better. 

Looking forward to finally racing again and seeing how the future stacks up for the little 1.6. 

• Andy L and Danica Davison like this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

So far, eleven 1.6s entered in the Turkey Trot and all but two of them entered as SMSE. Why wouldn't you?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

So far, eleven 1.6s entered in the Turkey Trot and all but two of them entered as SMSE. Why wouldn't you?

I would ask why would you? :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

A sense of hope.

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29

No, in a perfect world these problems wouldn't exist. Those in these spots would fix their shortcomings. Unfortunately for all, this is the real world and club racing. There will always be massive disparities in talent, funding, experience and car preparation. None of this is reason to adjust rules, class philosophy or add more classes.That is 

That is the problem, the HAVE'S have already changed the philosophy for the HAVE NOTS 

A. PURPOSE AND INTENT The Spec Miata (SM) class is intended to provide the membership with the opportunity to compete in low cost, production-based cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition.

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Leave us have nots alone and we wont hate everyone so much

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

Leave us have nots alone and we wont hate everyone so much

Hate? Is that serious?

Anyway, unless I'm missing something you (and Walter to the extent he agrees with you) are fooling yourselves. SMSE is running SM rules so let's assume for a moment that it was able to gain traction and achieve decent car counts. How long before the "haves" come and outspend the "have nots" (in time, money and talent)? Then what?

If you came to the table with a cogent and implementable plan for low cost controls on SM racing, I would be all ears. These circular arguments that simply attack people who are willing/able to spend more money than you (or me) on car prep, new engines, tires, track time, coaching, etc solve nothing. Hating people is not a stratergy.

CNJ
  • Jim Drago likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Trophy quest.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

We should probably ask those entering. Most (including myself) feel they are entering this class as they can't compete in SM or simply feel they have a much better chance of competing here. The real question is why? Despite popular opinion, it isn't the rules. The rules and parity could be a few tenths at best, not seconds.

I think despite all this rules debating and blaming.. we don't have much of a rules or parity problem.. We have a funding, experience and talent problem. Our class is comprised of many who have little to no experience all the way to many who are basically pro drivers. We have cars that many of us would never sit in all the way up to cars that are 60k plus. Hp disparities from 110 to 130 and so on and so on. Unfortunately most on the lower end of ALL these disparities are in 1.6 cars and thus the feeling we have a rules/parity issue.

I know how it is and the reality but aren't all these above ^^ diminished for a 1.6er in SSM??

Powers at be have the mind set of if you want to win/competitive you need a NB. "Sorry, not a lot I can do"
1.6er don't want too, so what do you get.

A place for them, at least for a while.
Who's got a better spec class now ??

Will see,
Just saying
J~
  • High Chair likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Hate? Is that serious?

No that was a joke.

​Do I have a iron clad solution, also a no. But we should not fool ourselves as to how our class got here. The class grew because of that first sentence in the GCR.

A. PURPOSE AND INTENT The Spec Miata (SM) class is intended to provide the membership with the opportunity to compete in LOW COST, production-based cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition.

As stated above by Jim a competitive car can cost 60K!!!!  What the F@!K!!!!!!! WE ALLOW ported and polished HEADS. Lamb will build you a spec boxter for 45K

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
I went back and re read this entire thread as I was made aware that a few of my posts were very offensive to those that have competed/plan to compete in this class. My intent, is not and was not to offend any of these competitors, but can see how it is taken that way. For that I apologize.

However, I stand by the facts of my posts without the unneeded inflammatory remarks :)

IMO, we do not need another class, well a sub class of SM, with the same rules, just excluding all but 1.6 cars. We have SM and we have SSM, I don't see a need for SMSE. As stated above.. I think the disparity is more funds, talent , prep etc than actual rules. As someone else mentioned above, we are all for containing costs.. lets work to that goal rather than create new classes.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I love everyone.

Except for maybe that damn genie that's been running free for at least ten years.

I agree with Johnny. The 1.6 crowd just want a place to play. At least I think that's what he meant. Who can tell?
  • Ron Alan likes this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference (high level) between SSM and SM, and the difference between SSM and SMSE?  I have been wrong before, but to my understanding, quite a few of you seem to be okay with SSM but strongly against SMSE for splitting the class up.  My next question is, why is it okay to split up the class to SSM but not SMSE? 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

SSM is basically SM before any rule changes. In a nut shell. And it can work anywhere that there is real interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users