- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I haven't misread it. I'm talking about someone with a NASA license that applies for the SCCA Full Comp License waiver. Anyways it was just a minor example of something that needs to get streamlined to encourage adding drivers to our events.

As for the Supps I'm well aware of them, but supps are often not available until months after the schedule is created.

At any rate you are obviously a good source for a new person to be in contact with as you have a detailed knowledge of the inner workings of the club. Asking this of every driver (mentor) isn't a good approach.

The person you would contact to get a full comp license waiver using your NASA license is the Divisional Licensing Administrator, but, again, not knowing about anyone but the Executive Steward would get you there in short order.  Think of the Executive Steward as the equivalent of an unpaid NASA area rep. (or whatever they're called.)  The Divisional Licensing Rep has a responsibility to determine if you're qualified for a full comp license.  He/she will most likely get your information and do some research before making a decision.  After that, sending your paperwork in to Topeka is the same as for an SCCA renewal.

I agree the scheduling/calendar issue is ongoing.  The national office is in the midst of a major computer network/systems upgrade that will take some time before any additional functionality will be added.  We are a victim of the dreaded, self inflicted, deferred maintenance nightmare.

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

In the past I was also told that not all regions submit their sanctions / schedules early enough for the calendars to be accurate.  I absolutely agree that trying to determine what dates races are held and be accurate is a PITA.  I also look at the SCCA national site, then compare to regions' websites, and sometimes the track's website.  Ugh!!

Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

yelling down constructive criticism is not a good method to improve event and club operations. 

navigating, understanding,  finding and registering for new members who dont know there local regions well is a problem. period. if you don't think its a problem, you are the problem. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Who's yelling?

(Is bold face type considered yelling?)
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Who's yelling?

(Is bold face type considered yelling?)

I think he's referring to Peter who keeps telling me everything is working perfectly and it's me that is the problem.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I think he's referring to Peter who keeps telling me everything is working perfectly and it's me that is the problem.

I apologize if that's how you think I was responding.  I'm trying to fill in the holes, i.e., be helpful in navigating the SCCA maze.  

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

I apologize if that's how you think I was responding.  I'm trying to fill in the holes, i.e., be helpful in navigating the SCCA maze.  

I understand that and I know you were trying to help me specifically, but this thread is a general topic about improving accessibility and efficiency of the club. No worries, many nuances are lost on text platforms lol.

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

the thread is not about helping single users through the maze. the thread is about not having a maze in the first place. 

• Brandon likes this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

the thread is not about helping single users through the maze. the thread is about not having a maze in the first place. 

While I understand the purpose of the thread, I'm not in a position to do anything about the structural problems.  What I can do is what I've been doing.  It seems to me, the need for help is one of the things the thread is about.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Not really, that’s just what a few chose to focus on. The topic was supposed to be about ways to “fix” the club in order to increase participation. Sure, “the maze” is far from optimal and may impede some people but it is FAR from THE problem.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Not really, that’s just what a few chose to focus on. The topic was supposed to be about ways to “fix” the club in order to increase participation. Sure, “the maze” is far from optimal and may impede some people but it is FAR from THE problem.

When you're concern is about getting "new blood" into an organization and participating in events, ANY impedance to that is THE ONLY problem that should be focused on.

It's clear the SCCA has a good product selection and quantity in most parts of the country (based upon entrants) but when entrants with 3 years of participation in the organization can't clearly iterate or comprehend HOW to participate in events, that's an opportunity for improvement.

Any time someone asks me a question about the SCCA, I have to always pause in my reply and ask for explicit clarity in what they really want to know/get an answer on because there are so many facets to the organization and their events you can quickly overwhelm the questioner with details that are important, yet don't actually help them in making their decisions.

As someone else has written/noted, this is a "club" which means we're dependent upon someone taking ownership of seeing something changed. Yet when someone finally does try and move a change forward, they oftentimes get lambasted for making unilateral decisions on said thing ("We're a club!!!") which is why we end up with YAC (yet another class) or YAP (yet another program) - because it's easier to go it alone with a proposal than to gain consensus in changing something that already exists.

I hate to sound so defeatist at this point but with the progress made on the TT and TNiA efforts being spearheaded by the National office, perhaps there does need to be more top-down management of club racing to ensure not only a viable product for the future but to ensure the regions remaining viable.

I know, I'm complaining about a problem but have no solution or idea to correct it - the worst way to present anything. But I'm the RE for our region and am intimately familiar with all aspects of faults within our club and the events we put on (or can't due to <insert reason here>). I too am looking for some insight into how to realign things.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Brandon, with respect, your first and last paragraphs are in conflict. New blood isn’t the only issue, year-over-year participation numbers are proof enough of that, and sub-optimal red tape is far from the biggest impediment to getting new blood. Yes it matters, but it ALL matters and I have trouble believing that someone in your position would seem to rank it so high.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

As someone else has written/noted, this is a "club" which means we're dependent upon someone taking ownership of seeing something changed. Yet when someone finally does try and move a change forward, they oftentimes get lambasted for making unilateral decisions on said thing ("We're a club!!!") which is why we end up with YAC (yet another class) or YAP (yet another program) - because it's easier to go it alone with a proposal than to gain consensus in changing something that already exists.

In the end this thread is almost entirely moot ramblings because of this reason. The organization is incredibly fractured in it's current design. While it's easy enough to get changes done at the regional level, much above that won't happen. For every 1 person trying to make a move to unify and standardize the SCCA as a whole, there are 100 "club" people to say no. The current structure is much better at creating roadblocks than solutions.

Each one of us is a member of a single region out of 115. One region isn't going to change anything at the national level. Real changes can only come from the top down and we are all stuck waiting.

• mdavis likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
The motorcycle industry is facing the same problem as club racing, an aging market. I've noticed that for about the past year a magazine I subscribe to, Cycle World, has changed their marketing strategy. Previously the content was mostly road test and gear features. Now much of the content is lifestyle features/stories. This is known as lifestyle branding* and also experiential branding*. The tobacco industry has used these strategies for years since they can not direct market. I'm sure most of you know that Mission Winnow is really Philip Morris.

Check out Marlboro's website - not one mention of cigarettes - just lifestyle features.

The SCCA could employ lifestyle branding through SportsCar magazine and online content. In other words, the SCCA needs a better ad agency.

(*To save you the trouble of Googling it: A lifestyle brand markets its products in a way that embodies the interests, opinions, backgrounds and attitudes of its target audience. Lifestyle branding is the main marketing tactic for products that don't have a utilitarian function, such as fashion brands or recreational products/services. Experiential marketing is a growing trend which involves marketing a product or a service through experiences that engage the customers and create emotional attachment to the product/service. Second, experiential marketing aims to create synergies among meaning, perception, consumption and brand loyalty.)

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

<=invokes JD76 "ten foot pole" ….

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Nathan Pring

Nathan Pring

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:85

The motorcycle industry is facing the same problem as club racing, an aging market. I've noticed that for about the past year a magazine I subscribe to, Cycle World, has changed their marketing strategy. Previously the content was mostly road test and gear features. Now much of the content is lifestyle features/stories. This is known as lifestyle branding* and also experiential branding*. The tobacco industry has used these strategies for years since they can not direct market. I'm sure most of you know that Mission Winnow is really Philip Morris.

Check out Marlboro's website - not one mention of cigarettes - just lifestyle features.

The SCCA could employ lifestyle branding through SportsCar magazine and online content. In other words, the SCCA needs a better ad agency.

(*To save you the trouble of Googling it: A lifestyle brand markets its products in a way that embodies the interests, opinions, backgrounds and attitudes of its target audience. Lifestyle branding is the main marketing tactic for products that don't have a utilitarian function, such as fashion brands or recreational products/services. Experiential marketing is a growing trend which involves marketing a product or a service through experiences that engage the customers and create emotional attachment to the product/service. Second, experiential marketing aims to create synergies among meaning, perception, consumption and brand loyalty.)

Are you telling me McLaren doesn't just want me to have A Better Tomorrow??  :o

2019 SeDIV SMSE Champion

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

This might sound minor, but it's been a source of frustration for me.  On the back of my daily truck, I put on one of SCCA's decals.  EVERYONE asks me if I race with Summit Racing.  Yeah, great for them and I sure hope SCCA is getting $$$$$ but if feels like we're promoting another business over our own club. 

Two weeks until my first scheduled race and I still have the dreaded $215 membership renewal sitting in front of me at my work desk.  :(

Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

She-fa Saul! Don't be a furry brown triangle. This thread could use your insight. 

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Are you telling me McLaren doesn't just want me to have A Better Tomorrow??

Smoke em if ya got em

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

She-fa Saul! Don't be a furry brown triangle. This thread could use your insight. 

showing your age -- no fur anymore

• Alberto likes this

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users