- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

$60k for two days at Lime Rock? Never driven it but looks like a relative snore. Given that and the draconian restrictions I’d try to get together with other groups who use it and force the price down. I doubt Grattan is that high but the $350 sounded about right to me unless turnout is reliably strong for the regional.

Lime Rock is hardly a snore.  It is one of the most difficult tracks to race.  It is at once technical and requires a willingness to commit at every turn not matched by too many other tracks.  As for getting together with other groups, SCCA is lucky to get a date.  I don't see other groups getting together much anywhere.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I am honestly not sure what the cost was 10 years ago.   My only recent point of reference is our local track here (Waterford Hills).   You pay a $200 yearly membership, and then each full race weekend was only $205.   It stayed very consistent over many years.  This was just *total* sticker shock to me.   I understand economics drives a lot of this, but the entry fees alone have to be driving quite a few away.  I can't speak to if SCCA road racing is or isn't in trouble as this thread states, but the cost of entry has to be number one in many racers' minds.  I can't bring myself to even look ahead at the entry fees for the other SCCA regionals on my list this year.....I like to spread out my emotional distress.     :blink:

Dude tracks raise the rental every year (that 10 in the ten years you have been gone) a 3 day stint at mid O with necessary support breach's  50K

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Lime Rock is hardly a snore. It is one of the most difficult tracks to race. It is at once technical and requires a willingness to commit at every turn not matched by too many other tracks. As for getting together with other groups, SCCA is lucky to get a date. I don't see other groups getting together much anywhere.

Like I said, never driven it, but watching in car it doesn’t look “fun”. Scary fast and such is fun too of course, it just doesn’t come through from the video, so I’ll take your word for it. Still, $60k for a non-race Friday plus Saturday??? I’m hoping that’s wrong.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Chris D.

Chris D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:SM #40

Dude tracks raise the rental every year (that 10 in the ten years you have been gone) a 3 day stint at mid O with necessary support breach's Just 

Doesn't change the fact that the price shocked me......just sharing my personal experience.   You can't tell me this doesn't deter others.....

Chris Dilluvio

Farmington Hills, MI

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Like I said, never driven it, but watching in car it doesn’t look “fun”. Scary fast and such is fun too of course, it just doesn’t come through from the video, so I’ll take your word for it. Still, $60k for a non-race Friday plus Saturday??? I’m hoping that’s wrong.

Being able to run at all on Friday is a huge improvement.  For the longest time there were only one day regionals and nationals only on holiday weekends with Sunday shut down.

Chris D.

Chris D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Lime Rock is hardly a snore.  It is one of the most difficult tracks to race.  It is at once technical and requires a willingness to commit at every turn not matched by too many other tracks.  As for getting together with other groups, SCCA is lucky to get a date.  I don't see other groups getting together much anywhere.

I've only experienced Lime Rock in iRacing and it looks terrifying.....    :o

• Mark likes this

Chris Dilluvio

Farmington Hills, MI

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

$350 for a weekend is cheap. Some single day HPDE cost that much. Most entry fee's I have seen are ~$425, hit a big track like Road America and a regional is over $500.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Doesn't change the fact that the price shocked me......just sharing my personal experience. You can't tell me this doesn't deter others.....

Although the price is inline with what I now expect, I agree that it seems high enough to deter many who might be looking at entering the sport. That’s why having SCCA go on a diet and cut as much as possible from their fees was on my list. Unfortunately, according to others the best case scenario for that is less than I’d hoped. The other half of any value equation is what you GET for the $$, and people have been making a lot of comments and suggestions on improving that.
  • Alberto likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Chris D.

Chris D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

The other half of any value equation is what you GET for the $$, and people have been making a lot of comments and suggestions on improving that.

Good point Steve....I agree

Chris Dilluvio

Farmington Hills, MI

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Lime Rock being a snore, LMAO!  One of the few tracks I actually find myself gritting my teeth and saying, OMG, don't die.  They call it a bull ring for a reason.  Yet it's one of my favorite tracks, the elevation changes are awesome, and the track is truly a park-like atmosphere where the whole family enjoys going there.  It is an absolute blast to drive.  $60k is accurate though unfortunately. 

The region does the best they can with the non-race Friday where we have a "qualifying race".  Damn town politics.

• Brandon likes this
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Lime Rock being a snore, LMAO!  One of the few tracks I actually find myself gritting my teeth and saying, OMG, don't die.  They call it a bull ring for a reason.  Yet it's one of my favorite tracks, the elevation changes are awesome, and the track is truly a park-like atmosphere where the whole family enjoys going there.  It is an absolute blast to drive.  $60k is accurate though unfortunately. 

The region does the best they can with the non-race Friday where we have a "qualifying race".  Damn town politics.

Yes, Lime Rock is an absolute blast.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I've only experienced Lime Rock in iRacing and it looks terrifying.....    :o

Wonder what you would have thought of Bridgehampton.

Chris D.

Chris D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Just did some Googling...that looks like it was incredible!

Chris Dilluvio

Farmington Hills, MI

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Bridgehampton remains the funnest, most beautiful, challenging track that I've ever driven on!  God, I miss that track!  I did a few years of HPDEs in the late 80s once I turned 18.

Lime Rock is not terrifying.  It's kinda fun but the fun is over too quickly since it's such a short track.

I found Watkins Glen rather terrifying with the armco being way too close and what seemed like an always damp track at the start of the day.  Similarly, Sonoma has a lot of pucker factor due to little run off.

Back on topic...  +1 to what Steve said - and stop obsessing on just the super tour / nationals racers.  Lots more regional racers.  

The other half of any value equation is what you GET for the $$, and people have been making a lot of comments and suggestions on improving that. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

Man, I love Lime Rock.  Fun to drive and, in my case, it holds a lot of sentimental value since I grew up in Connecticut and spectated races with my dad. 

The Lime Rock Historics Festival is an absolutely must-see event if you like historic race cars.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

$60k for two days at Lime Rock? Never driven it but looks like a relative snore. Given that and the draconian restrictions I’d try to get together with other groups who use it and force the price down. I doubt Grattan is that high but the $350 sounded about right to me unless turnout is reliably strong for the regional.

LRP only gets** so many unmuffled race weekends per year, and the professional series tend to get them ahead of any amateur group.

With a limited supply comes an increased price.

LRP is the most expensive track to rent in the NE with WGI coming in a close second after the repave back in 2015.

** if memory serves, there are only 7 or 9 full weekends (Fr-Su) available and that's only because Skip Barber, and the lawyers he's hired, have done their damnedest to not have them further reduced.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
LOL!! OK, message received, Lime Rock Park is awesome. At least I stirred vigorous consensus on something!
  • Cnj likes this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Ummm....wow.   I just went to sign up for my first SCCA race in about 10 years.   I've run Waterford Hills exclusively for many years.  I wanted a change this year and hit some different tracks.   

Grattan Regional

One car...both weekend races

........$350.........

You've got to be f'in kidding me....

I'm going to do it anyway because I have no common sense.   But, this entry fee is an absolute joke......

In our 10 years of racing never seen a price of $350! Currently $645 for a SCCA regional at Laguna or Sonoma!! Both have been over $600 for at least 4 or 5 years. NASA rate at Sonoma has crept up from $425 to $475 over the last 3 years...but still a bargain IMO!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chris D.

Chris D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

In our 10 years of racing never seen a price of $350! Currently $645 for a SCCA regional at Laguna or Sonoma!! Both have been over $600 for at least 4 or 5 years. NASA rate at Sonoma has crept up from $425 to $475 over the last 3 years...but still a bargain IMO!

LOL.....after spending 10 years at what must have been bargain prices...the message I'm getting is that I need to reset my expectations.

..........I still think it's kinda high though.......... :tipsy: 

Chris Dilluvio

Farmington Hills, MI

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

LOL.....after spending 10 years at what must have been bargain prices...the message I'm getting is that I need to reset my expectations.

..........I still think it's kinda high though.......... :tipsy: 

Prices are going up but for comparison the price of a ford F150 ten years ago was about half of what it is today. 

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users