Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

What does everyone think of gentleman's agreement to run 7.5 tires for the Sprints race?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

What does everyone think of gentleman's agreement to run 7.5 tires for the Sprints race?

You mean just like the POG agreement from 10 years ago?  I recall several frontrunners :P that chose the dark side then.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

You mean just like the POG agreement from 10 years ago?  I recall several frontrunners :P that chose the dark side then.  

Well if I can get all of you to agree, then i run the faster :)

• Tom Sager likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

Is there any real evidence that the 7's are faster?  I ran the 7.5's for the first time a couple of weeks ago, 4 total sessions for a weekend.  Could not say that I felt the 7.5 was any slower or faster. 

G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Is there any real evidence that the 7's are faster?  I ran the 7.5's for the first time a couple of weeks ago, 4 total sessions for a weekend.  Could not say that I felt the 7.5 was any slower or faster. 

Not that I am aware.. Just thinking narrower and lighter at Road America should be faster?  Data from the few who tried elsewhere suggests the 7.5 is faster.  I have not back to backed them, trying to avoid a costly and senseless test

Jim

• trimless likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I was told that its the same compound and construction except the rib design. Is that not the case? I have not weighed them.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Why would there be any gentleman's agreement that harms the guys that want to run their 27 year old sm7 tires and circulate thought their 6 sets of them. Just like we heard in the tire marking argument.

Jim you need to buy 8 sets of stickers thanks to the smac!

This is one reason I will be buying a replacement race rather then spending money on tires to race.

Smac dropped the ball so why do you think some other front runners who opposed tire marking would want to agree with you now????

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

7.5 tread area is slightly wider but the tire overall (aero-wise) is not wider.  If you put each tire flat on a floor next to each other they are essentially level at the tallest part of the sidewall. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:31

7.5 tread area is slightly wider but the tire overall (aero-wise) is not wider.  If you put each tire flat on a floor next to each other they are essentially level at the tallest part of the sidewall. 

Not sure that is clear. Are you saying contact patch is wider but overall width from the widest horizontal measurement point is the same?

*edited: for clarity

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:46

This is way too complicated.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
The winner of the SCCa runoffs will be on 7.5. I would bet a lot of money that the winner of Sprints will be on the 7.5.
  • RWP80000 likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Not sure that is clear. Are you saying contact patch is wider but overall width from the widest horizontal measurement point is the same?

*edited: for clarity

Yes.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

I was told that its the same com of both tires appears to be the same. 

Durometer reading of both tires looks to be the same. 

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:46

Annual tech: 2019 annual tech validity has been extended.  Any annual conducted on or after March 12th will be valid. 

This is not mentioned in the updated Supps...but I found this in Fastrack...

"For 2020 only, current annual technical inspections will be extended 3 months past their original expiration date (valid for a total of 15 months). All expiration extensions will end on 12/31/2020. For example, an original expiration date of June 15, 2020 will have an extended expiration of September 15, 2020. All inspections with an original expiration date between September – December 2020, will have an extended expiration date of 12/31/2020."

FYI.

• Tom Sager likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

This is way too complicated.

comparison back to back:

https://www.facebook...03166699823972/

• DrDomm likes this

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

comparison back to back:

https://www.facebook...03166699823972/

Thanks. I’m not sure the more squared off shoulder is an “improvement“ that we want. In some tires from the past that design contributed to a falloff in performance and even a perceived change in optimal setup between a new and used tire. It depends on multiple factors, with both tire and car, but I don’t think it’s a given that it’s better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Spent the weekend(June 5,6,7) at Laguna Seca as SCCA was allowed to run their event. Despite the mask police(you got 2 warnings and then were kicked out)and every competitor was only allowed 1 guest or crew...it was good to get back out!!

I'm hoping this isnt the norm but I saw several sets of SM7.5 with tread separation??? One set had a couple tires with "chunks" missing...2" in diameter and almost to the cord. These tires had 5 cycles. The other set I saw on the discard pile at the tire mounter...2 tire were very "de-laminated". 10" sections of the tire it looked like you could slid a screw driver under/between the layers?? Not good! I wish i had taken a picture now.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Spent the weekend(June 5,6,7) at Laguna Seca as SCCA was allowed to run their event. Despite the mask police(you got 2 warnings and then were kicked out)and every competitor was only allowed 1 guest or crew...it was good to get back out!!

I'm hoping this isnt the norm but I saw several sets of SM7.5 with tread separation??? One set had a couple tires with "chunks" missing...2" in diameter and almost to the cord. These tires had 5 cycles. The other set I saw on the discard pile at the tire mounter...2 tire were very "de-laminated". 10" sections of the tire it looked like you could slid a screw driver under/between the layers?? Not good! I wish i had taken a picture now.

great :)

I think Rich powers had that issue the first weekend out and told him it was a mold issue or something?  Loading up some more sm7's :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I cant speak to the set I saw on the dump pile...but the set that had chunks missing were probably purchased early on in production.

Ron

RAmotorsports

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

great :)

I think Rich powers had that issue the first weekend out and told him it was a mold issue or something?  Loading up some more sm7's :)

Start the PO7.5 agreement process then, go to the SM7 card.  Hopefully Hoosier will have enough spares to cover those of us that will be on 7.5.

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users