plane

plane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:71
So lets see if I, as a nube, understand. Some like it, some don't, but nearly everyone admits to knowingly, willfully and purposefully breaking the rules. Not pushing the limit,not exploiting a gray area, but full on premeditated felonious rule breaking. What the hell does that say about your personal integrity and self respect and how the hell to look your kids and competitors in the eye. I hope you are so forthcoming on the podium as you raise the trophy over you head and say "It's great to be here because I cheated." Seriously, what is it about auto racing that people are so proud and vocal of how they break the rules. Try to follow the F'n rules - it is not hard - Hit people in NASA, Don't in SCCA. Period. Choose where you run and live with it like an adult and role model you are to new drives and your family. You all hated the guy who cheated up his son's car. But you own cheating? - "Oh that's different." This sort of attitude is what ultimately kills racing classes and chases away new people.
  • Jason J Ball likes this

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Go back and look. A couple have stated and supported the notion that they may be inclined to make low percentage passes if they are not allowed to use the affects of BDing. You suggested that you might find yourself 6 deep in a corner without it and compared the notion of potentially backing out instead , as being a good little duck and that a different type of racing might be more appropriate. Dismissing Jim's good advice that it wasn't an either or situation and that you have brakes and can use them if you found yourself barreling into a corner with a bunch of other cars.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

So lets see if I, as a nube, understand. Some like it, some don't, but nearly everyone admits to knowingly, willfully and purposefully breaking the rules. Not pushing the limit,not exploiting a gray area, but full on premeditated felonious rule breaking. What the hell does that say about your personal integrity and self respect and how the hell to look your kids and competitors in the eye. I hope you are so forthcoming on the podium as you raise the trophy over you head and say "It's great to be here because I cheated." Seriously, what is it about auto racing that people are so proud and vocal of how they break the rules. Try to follow the F'n rules - it is not hard - Hit people in NASA, Don't in SCCA. Period. Choose where you run and live with it like an adult and role model you are to new drives and your family. You all hated the guy who cheated up his son's car. But you own cheating? - "Oh that's different." This sort of attitude is what ultimately kills racing classes and chases away new people.

With a public announcement by the region that they will ignore it, I'm good with it. If you don't like it, file paper.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

So I am guessing you have made and verified you car 100% compliant to the letter of the GCR since your personal integrity and self respect is at risk. Or are you going to use the "its not a performance enhancement" argument? Rules are rules as you so clearly point out. Pot calling kettle............

http://mazdaracers.c...ng/page__st__40

And FYI, in the SCCA the opinions expressed by the posters have been taking place since day 1 of SM (2001) and the class grew by leaps and bounds. The economy and other negative aspects of SM (cost for example) are a much bigger influence than a little bumping. I don't think this will influence the class life one iota.
  • Caveman-kwebb99 and Jason J Ball like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

plane

plane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

With a public announcement by the region that they will ignore it, I'm good with it. If you don't like it, file paper.

Well then that would be a rule change and so it wouldn't be cheating. This "follow the rules thing" is pretty easy.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Go back and look. A couple have stated and supported the notion that they may be inclined to make low percentage passes if they are not allowed to use the affects of BDing. You suggested that you might find yourself 6 deep in a corner without it and compared the notion of potentially backing out instead , as being a good little duck and that a different type of racing might be more appropriate. Dismissing Jim's good advice that it wasn't an either or situation and that you have brakes and can use them if you found yourself barreling into a corner with a bunch of other cars.

I belive you have made some assumptions about what I wrote. I basically asked when did anyone on this thread condone or give a pass to people who make bad decisions, regardless of how or why? I did not say, nor have I read anyone else say " because we can't bump draft in SCCA we make bad decsions and that should be forgiven." I personally believe that by bump drafting you reduce the congestion at turn in, more specifically at the end of a long straight away. I did not say that it was right, I did not say it should be made legal, I did not say, nobody should do it. I just said through personal observation it appears to reduce congestion that may lead to 6 cars entering a turn at roughly the same time. I also said that imparting a vector on someone's bumper is safer than 3-6 cars trying to enter a turn simultaneously. If you read those two statements as, "SCCA should allow bump drafting because it is the safest way to race" you have made a leap into inductive reasoning. I have no proof bump drafting creates a safer racing environment, likewise I do not belive either sanctioning body has eveidence of bump drafting being safer or more dangerous than non-bump drafting races. It is an unstudied randomely occuring event in a race or qualifying.

As for dismissing Jim's good advice, I believe you mistook Jim's gamesmanship for advice. At the pointy end of the field the head games are non-stop, on the track, in the paddock, on this forum. I belive what Jim was trying to tell me goes something like this, "if you don't want to enter the corner with me and 5 others by all means, concede the corner and follow me around for the next 12 laps and be content with 7th place." I consider Jim a friend and a to some extent a mentor. He has been at the pointy end for a long time now, he has a lot he can teach. My job is filter the advice I get from all of my "friends" and become a better, safer racer.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

plane

plane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

So I am guessing you have made and verified you car 100% compliant to the letter of the GCR since your personal integrity and self respect is at risk. Pot calling kettle............

http://mazdaracers.c...ng/page__st__40

And FYI, in the SCCA the opinions expressed by the posters have been taking place since day 1 of SM (2001) and the class grew by leaps and bounds. The economy and other negative aspects of SM (cost for example) are a much bigger influence than a little bumping.

To the best of my 6 months of racing ability and having 2 mechanics look at the car - yes. And as a new person, was reading the GCRs again last night. The group has always seemed to differentiate between honest mistakes and knowingly cheating. Trying to draft closely and tapping someone is different than knowingly and purposefully bump drafting. We all make mistakes and do things wrong. The difference is whether you are a cheater or simply human.

And the helpful link to my previous post was asking about why we had certain rules and stated my dislike for people who knowing do not comply. I was asking why so many rules I didn't understand, not if I should follow them or not. My comment was... " I know it is because it is a rule and has to be followed, but why the rule in the first place?"
I think this more like the vacuum calling the stove Avocado.

And the economy is just an excuse that is used when organizations don't like when people vote with their feet. The economy makes people choose between leisure pursuits. They drop some but not others, to the extent they drop car racing, it is because it is not as high a priority as their other options. It means that it was only a marginally fun thing and so they leave easily. I did it with sailing in large part because the local scene looked a lot like this group and I got tired of the Ground Hog Day aspect of the drama. This is new drama for me so interesting, but very deja vu. The solution is not the economy, it is to keep SM competitive AND make it fun and inviting to new and existing drivers that they give up other things first. In sailing there are huge fleets that have been around for 40 years because they have fun together and respect each other and welcome new people easily. The "hot" new fleets tend to rise and burn out when they stop serving new and casual racers and the hot guys move on to the new new thing. Most people in any racing group never win and are never going to win, they need another motivation to keep showing up so that you can enjoy beating them and they can enjoy being beaten.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
So I assume your heater core and assembly was reinstalled even though you didn't see why you needed to do so. Great.

But it doesn't matter in real life. The entire thread is a moot point anyway. Bumpdrafting is not allowed (in the SCCA), but will still happen. Experienced racers know when and how to use it and questioning anyone's integrity or otherwise won't change a thing.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Who knew bumpdrafting was such as hotbed of angst?
  • Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

The economy makes people choose between leisure pursuits. NO economic reality says Fishing or swiming with the family is cheaper than $1500 race weekend

I did it with sailing in large part because the local scene looked a lot like this group and I got tired of the Ground Hog Day aspect of the drama. This is new drama for me so interesting, but very deja vue. The solution is not the economy, it is to keep SM competitive AND make it fun and inviting to new and existing drivers that they give up other things first. Most people in any racing group never win and are never going to win, they need another motivation to keep showing up so that you can enjoy beating them and they can enjoy being beaten.

Everyone gets into this racing thing for different reasons, sounds to me like you are in it for a different reason than me. I dont give a shit about bump drafting, I come out to test my metal and to win. I hate loosing, I work hard to win, its easy to loose... If you want to win you push every tollerance, every rule, every hinderance, every issue.

Bumping dont mean shit those at the middle or the back will be there regardless of bumping or not bumping... Those at the front will be there regardless. Why does everything always turn to cheating, Some will always see things as black and white, while others will see things in shades fo grey. Personal integrity is just that a personal thing. If you wake up in the morning and can look yourself in the mirror and be be proud of yourself, that is your personal integrity level.

Thia thread was about bump drafting not about cheating... Lets get back to the bump drafting now, even though it is such a BORING topic...
  • Jason J Ball likes this

K. Webb