Photo

!! Registration for COTA - Link is WRONG !!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92
About 1 hour.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caesar Vielmas

Caesar Vielmas

SM Driver

• Administrators
  • 126 posts
  • Region:SW Div
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27

I'm curious - How much time passed between the first SM registered and the 85th (or 86th)?

Not much! How do you think it feels to be 86th? If only I hadn't wasted time "changing" my number....FUDGE FUDGE FUDGE!!!!!
  • KentCarter likes this
Caesar Vielmas
blu27.com
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Car Number:92
I went back to remove some double posted crew members and went from 21st to 33rd...

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:24

I'm curious - How much time passed between the first SM registered and the 85th (or 86th)?

About 30 minutes.

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

Not much! How do you think it feels to be 86th? If only I hadn't wasted time "changing" my number....FUDGE FUDGE FUDGE!!!!!

Is probably my fault. I was registering Greg Able because he was having problems. There were 84 when I started and 86 when I finished. I wasn't sure where he ended up, but if your 86 that means he got in.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:24

Someone in the Lone Star Region needs to make a few calculations for qualifying in a single session.

Assuming 2 seconds between cars going onto the track times 85 cars is 170 seconds which is equal to 2.83 minutes = 2 minutes 50 seconds. A lap around COTA should take +/- 2 minutes and 40 seconds. So by the time the first car out has made it back to the pit exit to the track the last car in the paddock will not have left yet.

Qualitying should be broken down into two sessions with 43 cars in one session and 42 in the other. That is the only way any reasonable qualifying can be done.

MPR 22 Sr.

Good point. I'll forward this on as this seems like it could be a big issue. Another person brought this up in another thread.

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Car Number:91
yes, I was 'in', too... until I edited my car info. Then I was 'out'
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
Thread opened at 11:59 AM today and has 168 posts. "Could" be a record.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
I thought u could register then go back and edit stuff without loosing your spot??? O well we are in so all is good
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

yes, I was 'in', too... until I edited my car info. Then I was 'out'

Is this for real? Editing crew member names or car info killed your registration??
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
I have been out all afternoon/evening and this exploded while I was away from a computer....(although the texts came fast and furious)

The Lone Star race chair has described COTA as a "jewel" for us to race on. I agree. I saw this as a spectacular oportunity to celebrate and promote SCCA and racing in the SOW Div with possibly the most successful inaugural weekend in the history of SCCA racing. Clearly 200 entrants ("legitimate" or not) in one hour is unprecedented and leads me to suspect that a well promoted and produced event could host up to 500 cars annually. That we have over 100 Spec Miatas wanting to come from all over the country is amazing.

And yet here we sit. This is a SCCA and Texas Region PR disaster and we look incompetent. We have had almost no communication from SCCA on what was happening to date and almost all race promotion has been internal to racer groups. Lee is the only person who has made an effort to communicate and is now apparently in trouble for his good efforts (efforts I greatly appreciate) - while we all still sit with no information from those making decisions. Registration is a shambles and racers are legitimately upset that after following a SCCA SOW Div published web link and registering for hotly contested postions, they are being told thier registration does not count - and there is no directional clarity for next steps. Lee posted a link to an active SCCA division web site which then allowed actual registration - and any suggestion that the fault lies with him linking to the division site reflects a basic misunderstanding of the digital world. Key SCCA leadership (who are they?) can make this better or they can make it a lot worse - but they need to communicate quickly and clearly what is going on. Any hint, real or percieved, from Lone Star SCCA leadership indicating that the COTA race is in such demand that Lone Star can do whatever they want will cost the club very dearly. The club exists because of the support of its members and folds when that support whithers - or members simply race elsewhere because they feel that they are not being listened to, or being treated poorly. Simply talking to us will help, maintaining silence will exacerbate the PR problem.

My best hopes are with the Lone Star leadership whom I have raced with for a number of years. They work hard. On this issue and the race they need great wisdom and probably a lot of help which I hope Topeka is stepping up to give, others are offering (I have) and they are accepting.

Cnj
  • Gary Norris, Alex Bolanos, FTodaro and 2 others like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
CNJ - thanks for the post above

The efforts by Lee not only to promote the event, but to also try to understand and help us with all the questions we have had over the past few weeks is something the I would hope ALL SCCA OFFICIALS EVERYWHERE would try to emulate. Openness, candor, transparency, humility.... wow, if only more were like Lee.

And in that spirit I would personally like to thank Lee, Butch Kummer, Jim Creighton and other SCCA officials who not only give up their time, but also actively solicit feedback from forums like these. If you are ignoring forums, social media or other opportunities to communicate with your demographic, you will go the way of the dinosaur.

Just look at the investment that NASCAR has put into fully understanding and tracking in real time what is happening on social media, RSS feeds and other media, DURING THEIR EVENT.
http://www.racer.com...article/276085/

Not suggesting SCCA has to spend any money, it just has to pay attention and be quick to communicate to its members
  • Anthony Ralston likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

pmiranda

pmiranda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:TX
Just to offer a perspective from somebody that's not a regular on this site... there was no official word of when registration would open. To me, it's like I was patiently waiting at the front entrance to the super bowl when somebody noticed the side door was accidentally left open, told all their friends about it, rushed in to grab all the beer and got mad when management told them they would have to go get back in line. Hopefully nobody gets arrested and we can all just get along and have a good time if the beer can be shared fairly among everybody and not just those who happened to be near the side door.
I don't know all the details so I can definitely be wrong, but it sounds kinda like Lee was the roadie that noticed the side door was open while everyone was still at the main entrance, and instead of trying to get it closed, told his buddies about it. I hope I am wrong, but you folks should know not everybody has the same perspective as you.

Ralph Dommes

Ralph Dommes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:Wash DC
  • Car Number:80
It's all good. I just want some guidance so I can go. It's an awsome track. I was there for the F1 race and it will impress. Come on SCCA - get it open!

Ralph Dommes

www.ralfracing.com
Motorpsorts Apps

Club Racer - Car #80 The Red Baron

BSR FATT Instructor
PDX Instructor

Beer Instructor

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

Just to offer a perspective from somebody that's not a regular on this site... there was no official word of when registration would open. To me, it's like I was patiently waiting at the front entrance to the super bowl when somebody noticed the side door was accidentally left open, told all their friends about it, rushed in to grab all the beer and got mad when management told them they would have to go get back in line. Hopefully nobody gets arrested and we can all just get along and have a good time if the beer can be shared fairly among everybody and not just those who happened to be near the side door.
I don't know all the details so I can definitely be wrong, but it sounds kinda like Lee was the roadie that noticed the side door was open while everyone was still at the main entrance, and instead of trying to get it closed, told his buddies about it. I hope I am wrong, but you folks should know not everybody has the same perspective as you.

Thats all fine and dandy, except The LINK was posted on the SOWDIV, the hosting division, website!

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Is this for real? Editing crew member names or car info killed your registration??

Yes. It looks like it put me in a different place in the queue after making the edits. I was in 'SM', after the edits, I was in 'SM (FULL)' which I assume is the waitlist. This wouldn't usually matter... just when it's a sellout.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
And what about the folks who registered, think they are registered, have sent money and don't troll the forums? I know many folks who have no idea about this DRAMA who registered. Whatever "team" they race with sent them the link when registration opened. And YES it was open. They registered, they have a spot in a hauler and are taking time off work. They need to be notified long in advance before the Lone Star Region makes some knee jerk reaction.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Caesar Vielmas

Caesar Vielmas

SM Driver

• Administrators
  • 126 posts
  • Region:SW Div
  • Car Number:27

Yes. It looks like it put me in a different place in the queue after making the edits. I was in 'SM', after the edits, I was in 'SM (FULL)' which I assume is the waitlist. This wouldn't usually matter... just when it's a sellout.

I second this, I don't know "where" I was or if I was ever "in" but I know I went through the process frantically just clicking "continue" then realized my number was 49 so I went back to "edit" when I did that the only option for class was sm (full) so I clicked that and the rest is history.

I just need to know what the deal is so I can get back to work and stop trolling forums and FB all day. If the list will stand and I'm on the wait list so be it but make a decision and let us know.

I, of course, prefer to take my chances with MC suggestion on the less than popular approach "top 85 qualifiers" race the rest go to the stands. But obviously I'm bias, had I been "in" I'd be "trying" to stay in...

Blah blah blah. Make a decision already!
Caesar Vielmas
blu27.com
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Mike, seems like someone said they'd be sent an email to inform them of the status.... I haven't seen one.

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Did anyone actually pay??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users