ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

Well all I have to say is that I'm working on buying a car now and if all the stars a line I will be on the grass is greener side this year ! :)

Now I'm not saying by getting this car I'm going to be a sec. Faster at every track I go to but I do hope I'm faster. If for some reason I'm not I will gladly come on here and let people know that. Just so you know I was never upset over the rules and just ran with it. I always liked being the underdog because it made winning that much more fun. I always loved when I was accused of cheating and laught at them and told them they could check anything on the car they wanted. Then I told them when there done to also check the factory radio in the car because that still works as well. Oh crap is a radio a sm part ? Lol :)

With that all being said I will be selling a top notch Reg. Car and a better then mid pack 1.6 for cheap if you know anyone ? Hint hint !!! :)

I suggest you drive one before making that decision, they're fast but not as fun :]

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45

I suggest you drive one before making that decision, they're fast but not as fun :]

I know I drove a few of them
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Drennan, Carbonnel, Ghidinelli, Kaiser.  3 locals and one Pro driver with time at Laguna. Which Eaststreet car was 4th?

You made my point Jim :) And I consider you ,Craig and Eric great drivers for what its worth  :thumbsup:

The other aspect is it is always hard to compare 1 race...but we try :)

BTW....Ralph and crew...the NA 1.8 needs an adjustment!!!!

We do have a letter addressing the 1.8
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

We do have a letter addressing the 1.8

Can I sign the bottom of it?? :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Can I sign the bottom of it?? :)

Or you could put in one of your own. But please be specific of what change you would like to see and the performance impact that change would affect with data to support that proposal.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68

So do I, but that is not what we are talking about
Jim

You asked for Majors winners who have 1.6s Jim.  Between that list and at least one more humble racer :) there are dozens of National/Majors hotly contested wins. Ken alone has 100+ checkered flags lining his garage walls going all the way back to Pro Miata and he hasn't raced regionals in years.  I heard Mark the Shark is planning to come to every regional race this year to show us what hacks we really are.  I'm thinking anyone who is pissed about the runoffs should do the same.  Wouldn't that be a friggin hoot?  We would welcome all with open arms and I'm in for bbq every weekend!

• Glenn and 38bfast like this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

What year car did Ken come to the runoffs in at MRLS ??

Just asking. :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

J~

What is your point Johnny?  Ken was in one of Sean's 99s.  Nobody who thought they had a chance at winning would have driven a 1.6 in that race!  They were at MRLS testing different cars pretty much the whole year.  So was Mark and Brian, and they all chose NB!

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I'm with you, 1.6's are great on the West Coast. Maybe East Coast has just given up ?

So are any of the Oregon boys going to Daytona and in what year car?

How about how many Majors are Ken doing in a 1.6 ?

Still Just asking.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

I don't think anybody knows what they are doing yet.  Obviously everyone was waiting on the rules changes.  I don't think one of the people on that list will be racing 1.6s this year, so they'll just sit in Ken's, Sean's, Matt's, etc. Garage taking up space!

The more I hear, the more I KNOW this is an EAST vs. WEST coast perception issue.  The East gave up on the NA years ago, and it was just this last year that the West did.  

With regard to cost.  My car is one of the best prepped and fastest 1.6 cars on the West coast and I'm confident I've spent way less than a bunch of NB racers.  I'm pretty sure it's because I'm confident about my knowledge of the platform AND I consider myself a really shitty "mechanic" (just ask everyone  :))  The "cost more" perception is not entirely true. The engines have more "tolerance", so often requires more parts bin selecting, but once you have the right parts, you learn to make them last!  Other than that, the NA is a better racecar overall.  Did I mention how much I hate the Torsen?

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So have you sent a letter that may get those 1.6's out ?

And have you thought about writing a how to book like Dave's ?
Not for profit but for the betterment of the class?

J~

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Yep,

Nope, I know too much and people would have to kill me :(

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I hate to interupt this thread.

Was looking for info the other day. On another site this same 1.6 conversation was going on during year 2008. Thread was started by a well respected driver that climbed through the Miata ranks from Spec Miata into pro rides. And left coast drivers took part in the thread.

I've also researched the history of the 1.6 engine a bit. Don't beleive the 1.6 intake/head technology/compression/over bore/cold intake will improve the issue where I believe the issue is. No disrespect to those in favor of compression, over bore, cold air, flywheel. Think about it guys, the 99 + head/intake/adjustable cams/cams/technology and torque is way out front of the 1.6 engine.

Look at the output of a good ITA 1.6 engine, where they are allowed considerable more than the SM engine other than de-shroud and plunge cut. Compare the torque to the 1.6 SM engine. Without an after market ECU, not all that impressive. 

Yes Craig I have proposed two solutions (outside the box) in the past to bring the 1.6 to play heads up with the 99 plus. Re-trace my posts. 

Jim Dargo, your 1.6 could not back up the 2012 Sprints run during the 2012 Runoffs.

EDIT:

I'm not back tracking for the exact words, your 1.6 driver posted in a similar thread back in 2012 that a 1.6 at Road America was like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I'm also not posting the videos again and asking for folks to find the 1.6 makeing a pass after T1 on the first lap on it's own without an on track issue. He may have passed Berry heading to T12 when he got inside Berry and Berry let it go to pass a bit later. Not bashing anyone, only stating what I viewed. 

To the engine builders and others that like to take shots at me, I've got $1,000.00 or more all at the ready when you show me how you can legally provide what the 1.6 needs to play heads up with the 99 +. How many other 1.6er's would have that same $1,000.00 plus?

My 1.6 with cool suite water and one gallon of gas weighs 2,020 pounds. I built the car and am very capable of setting the car up and maintaining the car. Similar engine numbers to Drago's 1.6 when run on a DynaPack. I have 90* intake air at the filter on an 80* day. 

I for one am not all about the win, I'm all about seeing an engine that can compete heads up with the other engines, considering everything else is equal. I'm able to focus and not be side tracked by all the tangent BS that is constantly throw in many posts.

Please carry on. :wave2:

• pat slattery likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

J~

So have you sent a letter that may get those 1.6's out ?

And have you thought about writing a how to book like Dave's ?
Not for profit but for the betterment of the class?
J~

I'm with you, 1.6's are great on the West Coast. Maybe East Coast has just given up ?
So are any of the Oregon boys going to Daytona and in what year car?
How about how many Majors are Ken doing in a 1.6 ?
Still Just asking.
J~

Why?

Just asking :)
  • Bruce Wilson likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Is asking that different than "Why" ?

I could ask the same Ron, but I don't judge.

Say what you wish.

J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Is asking that different than "Why" ?
I could ask the same Ron, but I don't judge.
Say what you wish.
J~

If you want to ask sincere questions...ones you don't know the answers to...ask them. When you know the answers, some may question...why? You are a moderator here...and I do judge what you post. If I'm out of line, you can edit if you like.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

What is your point Johnny?  Ken was in one of Sean's 99s.  Nobody who thought they had a chance at winning would have driven a 1.6 in that race!

I think his point is that it didn't seem to matter which car they came in as they weren't close to winning in their 99's either? Ironically, the fastest guy from that group was Shultz in his 1.6? So what does all that say? I have no idea, probably nothing as I have no idea what was going on with them or their cars.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

I've also researched the history of the 1.6 engine a bit. Don't beleive the 1.6 intake/head technology/compression/over bore/cold intake will improve the issue where I believe the issue is. No disrespect to those in favor of compression, over bore, cold air, flywheel. Think about it guys, the 99 + head/intake/adjustable cams/cams/technology and torque is way out front of the 1.6 engine.

Look at the output of a good ITA 1.6 engine, where they are allowed considerable more than the SM engine other than de-shroud and plunge cut. Compare the torque to the 1.6 SM engine. Without an after market ECU, not all that impressive. 

Yes Craig I have proposed two solutions (outside the box) in the past to bring the 1.6 to play heads up with the 99 plus. Re-trace my posts. 

:wave2:

Dave,

FWIW I agree with you - and that's been my point. To my knowledge no one, including you, has presented a viable or proven solution to matching torque. If I'm wrong lets get the solution implemented so we can then also run the 1.6 and 99 at matching weights and stop the bitching. No need to change the 1.6 front suspension cause apparently that makes no difference :)

Now to your 2 proposed (out of the box) solutions, I'm eager to hear them, but I'm really NOT going to search through 2,571 of your posts to find these. Recently you suggested that you intend to test a Megasquirt. Excellent. However till its a proven solution it's just a statement of intent.

CNJ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

I think his point is that it didn't seem to matter which car they came in as they weren't close to winning in their 99's either? Ironically, the fastest guy from that group was Shultz in his 1.6? So what does all that say? I have no idea, probably nothing as I have no idea what was going on with them or their cars.

Well they were at a disadvantage (big or small) as to what Most East coast guys thought was legal, Ken was having car issues (so were you), and Matt was driving a 95, not a 1.6, that he built weeks before the race...  So I agree, that doesn't say much and really not relevant to the 1.6 conversation.  Again, you asked for Majors winners who still owned 1.6s.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Well they were at a disadvantage (big or small) as to what Most East coast guys thought was legal, Ken was having car issues (so were you), and Matt was driving a 95, not a 1.6, that he built weeks before the race...  So I agree, that doesn't say much and really not relevant to the 1.6 conversation.  Again, you asked for Majors winners who still owned 1.6s.

for the record.. I was not having car problems. I just got beat.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users