Forrest Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:41

Top ten picks?  :duck:

What's the over under on deer killed during the weekend?

Interesting that Spec Miata is the lowest subscribed group this weekend at 9 cars…..

Don't drive like my brother!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
You have to post an entry list for us to pick!

One poor sucker won't get a tire!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Very disappointing, but I might get my first Majors top 10! ;)

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Here you go Forrest.  https://docs.google....aLWc/edit?pli=1

Happy hunting this weekend and good luck in the race.

• Forrest Landy and manthony121 like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59
Keith: That was pretty spectacular. I'm glad the driver was OK, but that was quite a dent he got in his hood!

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Keith: That was pretty spectacular. I'm glad the driver was OK, but that was quite a dent he got in his hood!

That's for sure.  

It might be a good idea to have windshield washer fluid for this race.   

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kevin B

Kevin B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:37

It's she, I believe.  I only know her from on-track but Dr. Leslie Pitner runs with the Panic Motorsports gang.  I saw Bertok posted some great photos today.  I hope they're fine with the re-posting.  It would appear everyone has a very good sense of humor about the whole episode...

https://www.flickr.c...57645999540546/

• Johnny D likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Are the guys from Texas putting these on or taking them off ??

http://www.auctiva.c...091600&format=0

Any Cattle guards?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Number:59

It's she, I believe.  I only know her from on-track but Dr. Leslie Pitner runs with the Panic Motorsports gang.  I saw Bertok posted some great photos today.  I hope they're fine with the re-posting.  It would appear everyone has a very good sense of humor about the whole episode...

You must be referring to another deer-v-racecar meeting. The video Keith posted is of a Porsche hitting a deer while going full speed down a straight. I don't know what track it is. You can see the deer get thrown 50 feet into the air by the impact. The driver, a man, complains that he had just gotten that car to replace the last one that was totalled, and now it was totalled, too.

Sebastian Landy

Sebastian Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Car Number:49
The point is that only at Summit Point can we have so many deer collisions that we get confusion about it. I almost hit a groundhog today and didn't think twice about it!
  • Keith Andrews likes this

Don't drive like my brother

2013 MARRS SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RacerX

RacerX

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Car Number:51

My SP deer experience was in T-9. 

He bounded onto the track, stopped cold, and gave me the classic "deer in the head lights look".  I immediately found myself getting pissed as he was standing directly on the line at the appex.  After what felt like a minute of thought, and may have been given my mid pack standings, I recalled my grandpa telling me to drive right at'em, so I did.  Lucky for me at the last sec he jumped off the track and I hit Ed York's apex point perfectly. 

I don't recall for certain, but I'm sure I brought home one less pair of underware that weekend.

r1chy

• dadasracecar likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

My SP deer experience was in T-9. 

I recalled my grandpa telling me to drive right at'em, so I did.  Lucky for me at the last sec he jumped off the track and I hit Ed York's apex point perfectly. 

r1chy

IIRC, deer hunters are the largest army in the world. :scratchchin:   So, what's a few deer? :shoot:  :shoot:  :shoot:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

16  SM  Steve SturmNo longer purple 1990 Mazda MiataMEATHEAD Racing / YORK Automotive

44  SM  Tyler KiceraRed 2002 Mazda MiataRock-It Cargo / Kicera Motorsports

46  SM  Domenico LeuciRed/White/Yellow 1999 Mazda MiataGreaterBingObGyn.com/Mechspecial.com

49  SM  Sebastian LandyWhite 1999 Mazda  MiataExcitations.com

75  SM  Michael CollinsMEATHEAD Racing Blue 1999 Mazda MiataMEATHEAD Racing, Ti-Speed, Butler Built

79  SM  Spencer PattersonBlue 1999 Mazda Miata (spec)Jim Locke Automotiv

90  SM  Louis InterdonatoBlack 1993 Mazda MiataCapitol Plumbing/RP Performance

94  SM  Forrest LandyBlue 1999 Mazda MiataExcitations.com/Hooverspee

00  SM  Marc Cefaloblue green 2002 mazda miataPLANET-MIATA.COM STEWART RACING ENGIN

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

16  SM  Steve SturmNo longer purple 1990 Mazda MiataMEATHEAD Racing / YORK Automotive

44  SM  Tyler KiceraRed 2002 Mazda MiataRock-It Cargo / Kicera Motorsports

46  SM  Domenico LeuciRed/White/Yellow 1999 Mazda MiataGreaterBingObGyn.com/Mechspecial.com

49  SM  Sebastian LandyWhite 1999 Mazda  MiataExcitations.com

75  SM  Michael CollinsMEATHEAD Racing Blue 1999 Mazda MiataMEATHEAD Racing, Ti-Speed, Butler Built

79  SM  Spencer PattersonBlue 1999 Mazda Miata (spec)Jim Locke Automotiv

90  SM  Louis InterdonatoBlack 1993 Mazda MiataCapitol Plumbing/RP Performance

94  SM  Forrest LandyBlue 1999 Mazda MiataExcitations.com/Hooverspee

00  SM  Marc Cefaloblue green 2002 mazda miataPLANET-MIATA.COM STEWART RACING ENGIN

Sweet.

Darth Pumpkin, now Darth Lime, runs top 10 in a major!

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
The 2 NA entrants will be fighting over the last Hoosier tire up for grabs!

Sebastian and Tyler will be fighting for max tire honors!

Ron

RAmotorsports

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

The 2 NA entrants will be fighting over the last Hoosier tire up for grabs!

Well, it was my '99 that gave up the last Hoosier on Saturday.  My fault...I incorrectly adjusted the right rear brake caliper prior to the race and it seized up lap 7.  Lesson learned.  

I know it wasn't the most prestigious Major of the year, but I'll post some videos and give my story a little bit later.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

My weekend had been going ok thru Q3 Saturday morning.  Nothing super quick, but faster than last year, and no problems.  

I decided I would run my only set of SM7's (from Watkins Glen) the whole weekend at Summit, so I started qualifying on Friday with the 6th heat cycle.  Saturdays race was going to be the 9th heat cycle.  I'm pretty sure most others were on fresher tires, but these tires are supposed to last longer.  I qualified 6th, about 1 second behind 2nd on the grid.  I was happy with that, and would've loved to stay there.  Before the race I decided to lube up brake caliper sliders and check pads.  I think I messed up the right rear, in hindsight.

Anyway got a good start, and figured we could brake a little deeper into 1 since speeds weren't as high on the start.  I should've been a little more cautious.  I braked a little too late, and as I tried to avoid Mike Collins our wheels grabbed and I got a little airborne.  I came out of the gravel trap, and went on to complete a few laps with the intention of catching up to get that last Hoosier.  By lap 6 I couldn't get max revs, so I pulled in to find a smoking/seized right rear caliper.

I'll post a write-up of my race 2, and hopefully some others do as well.  I guess there was some drama up at the front.  Shocking!

Here's my video of the start of race 1.  Not proud.

http://youtu.be/tf7WHCyrXjA

Domm Leuci

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

The turn out was light was compared to some of the other Majors but it was a well run event with a lot of Championships still up for grabs.  My dad secured the Eastern Conference T4 Championship and Rob Hines (MEATHEAD Racing Miata Driver and Past National SCCA Champion) secured the T3 Championship during the weekend.

Tyler was crazy fast out of the box qualifying below the track record on his own with no draft.  The Landy boys worked all weekend drafting with each other and also ran unbelievably fast times for the conditions.  

The Saturday race was a bust for me.  I was steadily moving up after Dr. Domm tried to run over me on the start ;) but while attempting a pass for the lead the cam angle sensor took a dump...sometimes they just break up...sometimes the just go....this one just went...could not drive over 3000 RPM....  I came into the pits.  The crew swapped it out and I went out a lap down and had fun chasing my teammate and business partner Steve Sturm around...  with my video and some coaching Saturday night he was able to go an entire second faster on Sunday and near matched the best time ever in that car by another driver....

Sunday was a new day.  I put some new shocks on the car, Todd Lamb helped me diagnose a set-up problem that I have been chasing all season and it turns out I had a bad shock...thanks TODD!  

Like Saturday I started moving up after the start and in attempt to pass Typer for the lead we touched wheels and that sent me off the track into the grass and I fell to 5th about 3 seconds behind the leaders.  Tyler, Sebastian and Forest kept racing and that helped me steadily hunt them down...Forest and Tyler had some side to side helping me even more....in two laps I got to Marc Cefalo and got a great Ricky Bobby style slingshot draft off of him getting me back in the mix.  I passed Tyler in one lap and Sebastian in the next for the lead and then ran the next 15 or laps up front.  Sebastian worked really hard to push the two of us away from Tyler but Tyler just kept hanging on....  On the last lap Sebastian tried a pass in turn 1.  I was able to hold him out and force him to race Tyler for 2nd place allowing me just enough room to run a steady but fast last lap.  Sebastian got a great run on me out of the last turn getting to my door at the finish line....

It felt good to race with the young guys.....man they are fast!!!

• Joe (dad) Jordan and Tyler Kicera like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Number:47

The turn out was light was compared to some of the other Majors but it was a well run event with a lot of Championships still up for grabs.  My dad secured the Eastern Conference T4 Championship and Rob Hines (MEATHEAD Racing Miata Driver and Past National SCCA Champion) secured the T3 Championship during the weekend.

Tyler was crazy fast out of the box qualifying below the track record on his own with no draft.  The Landy boys worked all weekend drafting with each other and also ran unbelievably fast times for the conditions.  

The Saturday race was a bust for me.  I was steadily moving up after Dr. Domm tried to run over me on the start ;) but while attempting a pass for the lead the cam angle sensor took a dump...sometimes they just break up...sometimes the just go....this one just went...could not drive over 3000 RPM....  I came into the pits.  The crew swapped it out and I went out a lap down and had fun chasing my teammate and business partner Steve Sturm around...  with my video and some coaching Saturday night he was able to go an entire second faster on Sunday and near matched the best time ever in that car by another driver....

Sunday was a new day.  I put some new shocks on the car, Todd Lamb helped me diagnose a set-up problem that I have been chasing all season and it turns out I had a bad shock...thanks TODD!  

Like Saturday I started moving up after the start and in attempt to pass Typer for the lead we touched wheels and that sent me off the track into the grass and I fell to 5th about 3 seconds behind the leaders.  Tyler, Sebastian and Forest kept racing and that helped me steadily hunt them down...Forest and Tyler had some side to side helping me even more....in two laps I got to Marc Cefalo and got a great Ricky Bobby style slingshot draft off of him getting me back in the mix.  I passed Tyler in one lap and Sebastian in the next for the lead and then ran the next 15 or laps up front.  Sebastian worked really hard to push the two of us away from Tyler but Tyler just kept hanging on....  On the last lap Sebastian tried a pass in turn 1.  I was able to hold him out and force him to race Tyler for 2nd place allowing me just enough room to run a steady but fast last lap.  Sebastian got a great run on me out of the last turn getting to my door at the finish line....

It felt good to race with the young guys.....man they are fast!!!

Congrats Mike!  Glad you and your dad had such great results!  A win is a win!

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Ok, here's the link to race 2.  I can sense everyone is dying to see it.  

http://youtu.be/sgPmgRuWzqk

I was careful to lay back a little on the start, but got stuck on the outside in turn 1.  There isn't much grip there, so I lost some time and had to fight to keep 6th place going into Wagon Bend.  Something went wrong mid-way thru the turn and I nearly lost it.  Next lap I did a Yiannis in the same spot.  Things were a little better once the tires warmed up.  The setup wasn't great, or the 10th heat cycle on the tires was a bit too much.  I couldn't quite hang with the lead pack, but had a comfortable margin to 7th.

I had to use a spare set of Hawk Blue's as my Cobalts were falling apart after Saturdays race.  I struggled with braking into turn 5, and had a brief lock-up on lap 7.  By lap 12 I had a big lock-up, that caused a terrible vibration.  (If you watch the video, at 23:57 you can see the smoke left behind on the right side of the screen.)  By lap 16 the 7th place car (Spencer Patterson) had caught me.  Each time into 5 I was locking up.  I was able to hold him off until lap 23, when I got a bit too confident with my technique.  I went flat thru the Chute and couldn't stop the car into 5.  I slid off into the dirt and gave up the position.  I hung on for the last 2 laps to finish 7th.  It was a moral victory.  I just wish I had taken it easier thru the Chute on lap 23.

Here are pictures of my RF tire.  Two different spots.

Attached File  RF1sm.JPG   42.11KB   0 downloadsAttached File  RF2sm.JPG   36.48KB   0 downloads

Domm Leuci

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, Majors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users