Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:15

No headbanging here, just trying to collect and analyze the available information as objectively as possible, then compare my conclusions to the largely unsupported claims on both sides. On what part do you not agree?

The main part that I do not agree with is that we should have two SM classes.  And yes SM-SE and SM2 are SM classes with a few extra letters added.

• Jim Drago likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15

Enough talk, we have way too much talk on this site and very little action. I grew up with the belief "put your money where your mouth is” so here goes… I race with MEATHEAD Racing in the WDCR where SSM is hugely successful and should be the model for 1.6 classes across the country not SMSE, SM2 or another me too class, this is unique and different. I’m willing to put up $1,000 of my own money towards the cost for a racer to come experience SSM.  MEATHEAD Racing will supply the car, it will be spec and at the horse power limit, most likely a previous race winner so there is no doubt, we will corner balance and set up to your liking upon arrival. You need to pay the entry fee and assume liability for the car, just like any other rental., you need to have some skin in the game. The individual will be selected based on the likelihood and ability to influence the region they come from that they should adopt SSM rules, the current region thinking of me too classes is short sighted and splinters the class.

PM me here with why you think it should be  you and Meathead and I, along with possibly a couple others, will decide who it should be.  No whiners allowed!  This really needs to be someone that truly wants to see what it is all about and do something with it!

Jim Drago if you think this post should be it's own or located somewhere else do as  you wish.

• David L, RacerX, Jim Drago and 3 others like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Sealed engines are not cheaper!!! There is no savings in a sealed engine program.

Depends James...In the San Francisco region where SSM has as many entries as SMT, I would venture to guess at least half the motors are junkyard(original to car)motors that are sealed. Granted, they may not make the max power allowed but other than the $300 to seal I would say that is a pretty cheap motor :)

Interesting information for those around the country as to our local region and how it is set up. When the National(Majors)tire went to Hoosier...we did not as a region at first(cost). Many wanted to be on the "real race tire" and finally got there wish when those in the know knew the runoffs would be coming West. The SM6 sucked and was quickly unpopular even among the top guys...the SM7 was better but only being driven by those going to the runoffs as SMT was re-introduced and most regional guys ran this class which was on Toyo RR. Our numbers didnt go down just had 3 classes to choose from!

All that time SSM was on the RA1. Laguna 2014 runoffs come and go. Our region announced only SMT and SSM in region for 2015(no SM). Ironically a small number of people wanted SM...not because they were going to go to Daytona, but because they wanted to use tires they had(Hoosiers)so the region caved and put SM back as an entry for the 2 or 3 that bitched. It did also help a few out of towners who only came with Hoosiers. They then gave a winner flag every weekend to the same person. The other thing region did was allow RR's or RA1 for SSM. Initial price is no different really and the RR has proved to be as quick later in its life as it is in the beginning.

I'm positive one of the reasons our class(classes) has maintained steady entries regionally(most recently) is the decision to stay on 1 tire which has proven to be popular among the more frugal crowd! And still the largest class on the west coast...even if under a few names!

Sad to say Majors out West last year in SM was sad...and we didnt have any reps at Daytona. 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

From what I have learned during conversations with my east coast friends;

SSM was built on the premise of what SM was originally thought to be. Low cost, low modification, tight competition. The SSM group has kept to that philosophy. No rules creap. No expensive parts. No special grease. They compete with each other. Not against each other. Creative rules interpritation is frowned upon. If you built a $30k SSm you would shunned.

SM competes very hard against each other. The stated class philosophies may be similar. But the interpritation is totally different. In SM pushing the envelope is the norm. If Danny has it, Jim wants it. When Jim gets it he will sell it to everyone else. And the cost escalates. Nothing wrong with that, but a totally different mindset than what I think SSM drivers have. It all goes back to the "tech shed legal" days.

From my understanding, there is virtually zero crossover between SM and SSM on a given weekend.

I have never even seen a SSM race, but the guys who race them , LOVE IT. And they do not wish to race a SM.

Dave

And I think that is totally reasonable, honorable and plausible. But, if true it is primarily the people who make it more affordable, not the written rules. To say that the "tighter" rules and no rules creep makes it more affordable just doesn't really explain what's going on.

Given that, if everyone one in SMSE were to play by the same spirit and intent, there is no reason it should not work just as well.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Somebody correct me here, I think it's not a majors class because it doesn't have the number nation wide but..

SSM Participation numbers in the WDCR alone would make it one of the largest classes in the country... 81 different participants in 2015 with 597 entries...

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

SSM is NOT a me too class, it does not race on the track with SM, you cannot "double dip" the cars are not the same...

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

using 2014 numbers SSM is the 5th largest regional class by attendance compared to other classes combining nationwide numbers... 5th largest in the country and we only run it one region...think we have something figure out????

• E-Speed Motorsports, David L, RacerX and 1 other like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Cool, Mike, thanks for the numbers.

It's big out here, I didn't know the requirements.

So SSM a national class for Majors ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Highwayracer

Highwayracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:CCR SCCA
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:52

using 2014 numbers SSM is the 5th largest regional class by attendance compared to other classes combining nationwide numbers... 5th largest in the country and we only run it one region...think we have something figure out????

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I and others have been working to establish SSM in SEDIV.  We see that the class works when properly administered.  We had plans to petition the SARRC committee for an opportunity to present a proposal at the annual meeting to establish SSM as a divisional class.  SMSE being dropped in our lap without the opportunity to make the case for SSM is why some people are upset - the system did not work the way we thought it was supposed to work.

At this point, we apparently only have the opportunity to work with individual regions, which we will do, or compete in the Carolinas Cup Pro Series (CCPS), which recognizes the class (as well as the WDC region SSM).

Ultimately, we'd like to be able to run a series including the WDC region guys, though we haven't gotten to the point of discussing that with them. 

Highwayracer

Highwayracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:CCR SCCA
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:52

By the way, for those interested there is a new SSM page on the book of faces at https://www.facebook...SSMiata?ref=hl 

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Cool, Mike, thanks for the numbers.

It's big out here, I didn't know the requirements.

So SSM a national class for Majors ??

J~

I will bet you anything the CRB and BOD will never approve another class for Miata to qualify for the Runoffs, since its just a spinoff.  Its a great regional idea, but I am sure they would respond back with "Your Miata in eligible in SM, thank you for your input"

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA