ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98

I've been in SM since 2000.

I was part of the original group that set down the SSM rules and was all in.

I'm not being negative towards this class at all.

It died in the NE, other than Summit, because unlike MARRS no one was willing to take control and push forward SSM as a class.

Several years later, many NA cars are sitting because the owners didn't feel they could be competitive any longer and who would buy an NA car???

I noticed at the ARRC, SM2, did a little research and got the NE Division to accept the class.

Although not as successful as MARRS SSM, its one of the NE's most popular classes.

Why not re-introduce SSM? Well most of the cars were already converted to SM.

Switching them back was an added expense and still no one willing to take the reins.

• dstevens likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

To embrace what Dave Stevens is saying!!!

How many newbies, if you were even around remember what Jim Daniels said when Spec Miata was Regional only and some were bitching about wanting Spec Miata to become National, "be careful what you wish for". 

Also there are 4 times as many Regional Spec Miata entries (twenty some hundred) as there are Majors Spec Miata entries (eight hundred) per season.

Alan, what are the total number of SSM entries in the SSM series per season?

Dave, what are the total number of SFR SSM entries per season?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steve

steve

CFO MEATHEAD Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Number:90
Alan, what are the total number of SSM entries in the SSM series per season?

I'm no Alan, but 79 different drivers participated in at least one weekend in WDCR-SSM at Summit Point last year (76 in 2014), with between 40 and 45 drivers participating each weekend.

STEVE

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I've been in SM since 2000.

I was part of the original group that set down the SSM rules and was all in.

I'm not being negative towards this class at all.

It died in the NE, other than Summit, because unlike MARRS no one was willing to take control and push forward SSM as a class.

Several years later, many NA cars are sitting because the owners didn't feel they could be competitive any longer and who would buy an NA car???

I noticed at the ARRC, SM2, did a little research and got the NE Division to accept the class.

Although not as successful as MARRS SSM, its one of the NE's most popular classes.

Why not re-introduce SSM? Well most of the cars were already converted to SM.

Switching them back was an added expense and still no one willing to take the reins.

I didn't think you were being negative.  Had I thought that I would have said so.  I didn't mention specifics as it's pretty obvious in just reading the posts and I don't want to turn the thread into a monkeys throwing dung show.

As for changing the cars back, it's more a matter of removing parts and replacing with stock parts.  The biggest thing is the dyno and the sealing.   I think what is says in the region mentioned in your post is that the market in that region isn't interested in the class.  Fair enough.

Dave, what are the total number of SFR SSM entries per season?

Thanks Benchy, I'd have to go back and count to know what the totals are.  I do know it does well for out here, 15 to 20 cars and while that's not east coast or TX numbers it's good for out here.  I think the numbers racing out here are more of a reflection that we are busy tanning, working on our screenplays and farming kale...

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
dstevens and anyone else still tuned in, I hope that my skepticism about why SSM remains so successful is not interpreted as being disparaging of the class or participants. My earlier posts should make it clear that I am supportive of the SEDiv efforts to offer an alternative class for those who feel left behind for whatever reason. The main debate seemed to revolve around whether it splinters SM, and whether a significantly different rule set was key to it being acceptable in the opinion of some. To me the main thing is that they are trying something based on what they heard from their members, and no doubt will adjust as needed in the future. I feel the same about SSM and I think I was clear that calling it a trophy for all class would be rude, and miss the point.

Meanwhile I agree with Mr. Drago about the current state of SM. Without the dyno and sealing, anyone who preps for running at the front is probably just as close on power and just as "legal" as the SSM front runners. But yes, at a cost premium, though perhaps not as much as some would think.

The bottom line is that each region should be responsive to their members, but what works won't always look the same across the country and there is nothing wrong with trying something a little different, especially when that means starting with minimal up-front effort and expense for people to give it a try and gauge interest.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

dstevens and anyone else still tuned in, I hope that my skepticism about why SSM remains so successful is not interpreted as being disparaging of the class or participants. My earlier posts should make it clear that I am supportive of the SEDiv efforts to offer an alternative class for those who feel left behind for whatever reason. The main debate seemed to revolve around whether it splinters SM, and whether a significantly different rule set was key to it being acceptable in the opinion of some. To me the main thing is that they are trying something based on what they heard from their members, and no doubt will adjust as needed in the future. I feel the same about SSM and I think I was clear that calling it a trophy for all class would be rude, and miss the point.
Meanwhile I agree with Mr. Drago about the current state of SM. Without the dyno and sealing, anyone who preps for running at the front is probably just as close on power and just as "legal" as the SSM front runners. But yes, at a cost premium, though perhaps not as much as some would think.
The bottom line is that each region should be responsive to their members, but what works won't always look the same across the country and there is nothing wrong with trying something a little different, especially when that means starting with minimal up-front effort and expense for people to give it a try and gauge interest.

Your last paragraph sums up my thoughts on the class pretty well. Once we get past the initial cost of an engine in SM I don't see any cost savings in SSM. The other prep work will be done, the need to keep that cheaper engine running at peak condition will Be the same as SM. Tires cost just as much and good tries win races. The MARRS series cuts out travel costs as it is one track but that probably only works at 2 other tracks in the country with significant population bases near the tracks to have 40 racers.

My costs to race in order:
Tires
Travel
Entry Fees

I would love to race a series that was serious about cost control on tires. Unfortunately the racing organizations strike deals with tire companies to sell tires not keep cost down. Love the contingencies because I benefit from them but most don't. Who would like to race all year on 2 sets tires for a total cost of $800? One word, Direzzas
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Car Number:72
My opinion is that we need to split the SM class between NA 1.6 and the 1.8s. When we go into Road Atlanta to a NASA event there are two BMW classes, E-30 and the E-36/E-46 classes. Both are large classes. They are in the same run group but with a split start. I think the same would work for SM.
  • High Chair and Danica Davison like this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

My opinion is that we need to split the SM class between NA 1.6 and the 1.8s. When we go into Road Atlanta to a NASA event there are two BMW classes, E-30 and the E-36/E-46 classes. Both are large classes. They are in the same run group but with a split start. I think the same would work for SM.

Sure, then the high rollers could haul two cars and race two different SM classes. Good luck pulling off a 1.6 SM Majors class. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Once we get past the initial cost of an engine in SM I don't see any cost savings in SSM.
My costs to race in order:
Tires
Travel
Entry Fees

I dont see that either? Why would the engines be less? I would do all within my power to build an engine that makes close to max HP and TQ as possible with a flat of a curve as possible. Which would be more time testing etc.

We have to ask ourselves.. If SM majors became SSM tomorrow and all the same cast of characters running the majors switched. Can any of you say with a straight face that we would save one dollar other than entry fees over what we are spending now? I can't.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

If SM majors became SSM tomorrow and all the same cast of characters running the majors switched

I think you're missing something Jim. First SM Majors isn't, ever, going to become SSM, and second, since that is not going to ever happen then the win at any cost crowd will remain in SM and leave SSM and/or SMSE for the racers that don't have the time, money, desire to take everything to the Nth degree.

Why argue hypotheticals?

• dstevens likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22

I think you're missing something Jim. First SM Majors isn't, ever, going to become SSM, and second, since that is not happening the win at any cost crowd will remain in SM and leave SSM and/or SMSE for the racers that don't have the time, money, desire to take everything to the Nth degree.

But it only takes one person to start the fire.  Why do so many people leave SM to race other classes?  They can't win in SM so the go to easier classes.   Do you think that won't happen if SSM is perceived as low hanging fruit if they just spend a little more on their engines.  Hope its not the case but human nature is what it is.  Now put those same ego maniacs on slower tires and they may think twice before venturing down that path.  Just not enough prestige running on street tires in a street miata.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Car Number:72
Bench,

Are you suggesting that one driver could drive two cars in one race?? The BMWs run in the same group with a split start.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I think you're missing something Jim. First SM Majors isn't, ever, going to become SSM, and second, since that is not going to ever happen then the win at any cost crowd will remain in SM and leave SSM and/or SMSE for the racers that don't have the time, money, desire to take everything to the Nth degree.

Why argue hypotheticals?

So you are saying you agree with me then? :)

And why argue hypotheticals? how long have you been on this site now? That's all we argue :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Bench,

Are you suggesting that one driver could drive two cars in one race?? The BMWs run in the same group with a split start.

I read what you posted and I'm sure you got the point.

1.6 Majors class will not happen no matter who push's the agenda.  

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

1.6 Majors class will not happen no matter who push's the agenda.

1.6 majors class can not happen and will never happen, you are absolutely correct.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

But it only takes one person to start the fire.  Why do so many people leave SM to race other classes?  They can't win in SM so the go to easier classes.   Do you think that won't happen if SSM is perceived as low hanging fruit if they just spend a little more on their engines.  Hope its not the case but human nature is what it is.  Now put those same ego maniacs on slower tires and they may think twice before venturing down that path.  Just not enough prestige running on street tires in a street miata.  

I am not disagreeing with this statement, I am adding a point. People race for many reasons, some want to win, and go race a class with two cars. Some want the competition and race classes like SM to test their metal against the best. Some want to have as much fun as possible for the fewest dollars. I think in general the classes that do the best find a big group of people with the same goals.

I think our regional racing program in the Great Lakes does well at serving up low cost racing with great competition. Up until two years ago our region allowed Open Tire, but when the regional became a path to the runoffs that changed,

There was push back on taking away open tire as it allowed regional racer to offset the hardship of NASA and SCCA being on two different tires.

If i could make one change in Regional racing i would allow open tire. Most of the low cost options are slower but the racer gets to decide not the club.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I am not disagreeing with this statement, I am adding a point. People race for many reasons, some want to win, and go race a class with two cars. Some want the competition and race classes like SM to test their metal against the best. Some want to have as much fun as possible for the fewest dollars. I think in general the classes that do the best find a big group of people with the same goals.

I think our regional racing program in the Great Lakes does well at serving up low cost racing with great competition. Up until two years ago our region allowed Open Tire, but when the regional became a path to the runoffs that changed,

There was push back on taking away open tire as it allowed regional racer to offset the hardship of NASA and SCCA being on two different tires.

If i could make one change in Regional racing i would allow open tire. Most of the low cost options are slower but the racer gets to decide not the club.

And even with all the so called push back the scca fields in the great lakes are growing while we have seen NASA dwindle... To me the pushback was from the guys who wanted to run a tire from neither org because they were perceived as faster, falsely so but non the less. Crossover business in our region is small minority of racers even looking back to 2010 when we began there was about 5 guys who were crossovers, not there may even be less. The crossover biz in the gl area is a myth much like the yeti or the 1.6 that is on mothballs waiting for their turbo chargers...

K. Webb