• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

Jesse Prather

Jesse Prather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:Kansas

Really an excellent weekend.  Even though there weren't a lot of cars the talent was good in SM.  I have really been impressed with the talent in this class, few other classes can boast this throughout SCCA in my opinion.

Figured out how to make this car handle finally and now have the bug to get this car up to speed power wise.  The engine in the car is good but is a bit of an unknown.  I was supposed to be running just for fun this year!  The only thing that kept my times even close to the front guys  was the draft.  I couldn't pull up on anyone but the draft would help me .4 through the oval, which is why I ran 4th the whole time.  Really good driving by Tom and Steve in the other 1.6 cars.  Max drove a really good race with an oversteering car, hope I can post some video of it soon as we got really close a few times, lots of fun.  Mr Drago was the class of the field.  Perfect car and driver combo, that's what it takes!  Managed the race once he got to the front.  Congrats!

Not being from Spec Miata I'll give an outsiders opinion on this class.  It's not about 1.6 vs 1.8.  Hey maybe the 99 and up cars are easier to drive but it takes a good driver to run up front either way so who cares.  This class takes a good setup, good driver, really good driver actually! and a well built engine.  The cars are plenty close to run equally in my opinion.  A forum like this can turn anyone into a keyboard asshole and that's normal.  It's the same way over on the production car forum.  Enjoy this class, get the cars out there.  The main reason there isn't parity in anyone's mind is probably staring at you in the mirror.  

Now where to find that 30k to buy that beautiful car Jim was driving last weekend!

• Caveman-kwebb99, Jim Drago and Danny Steyn like this

NRE

NRE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:MidWest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:27

Thanks everyone for coming out and supporting the STL region SCCA and for all of the kind words. Racing with everyone this weekend was a lot of fun and the competition was fierce as usual in the Spec Miata class. Congrats to Jim Drago on his two wins again and to Tom Scheiffler on his podium finishes. Overall, it was a fun weekend and I think I learned a lot about the car and setup, as well as giving feedback. Again, I appreciate Mr. Drago's, York's and both Scheiffler brother's help all weekend long working on the car and with some driver coaching. It was awesome to have Jesse Prather in the mix too, hope you got some footage of the drifting exhibition I was putting on :optimist:  ! It was cool to get my first Major's pole and track record this weekend thanks to the East Street engine and good car setup. Only bad part about the weekend was getting involved in an incident in Sunday's T4 race. We were running second when Eric Prill decided to make a pass in turn 1 running into Steve Burkett in the Mazda RX-7. The collision caused Steve's car to spin and I assumed he would get the car stopped and that I could follow Eric Prill around the accident but his car rolled right in front of me giving me no where to go but into his quarter panel (sorry steve!).  Here's the video of what happened 

Hopefully next year we can get more SM's out to Gateway. Hope to see everyone at Pueblo or Mid-Ohio in the coming weeks! 

-Max

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Major Tom to ground control ... Here is my Sunday video.

https://youtu.be/o_Xa70w1S5w
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jesse Prather

Jesse Prather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Nice video!  Looks like ol smokey is getting worse on those decels.  Need engine rebuild soon, hope I can find someone to do it.  :devil:

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Nice video! Looks like ol smokey is getting worse on those decels. Need engine rebuild soon, hope I can find someone to do it. :devil:

PM me if you want a recommendation for an engine builder ;)

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Nice driving Tom!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Thanks for the ride Tom. Bet it was a feel good with the nose to the quarter panel. :thumbsup:  Good stuff Jim.

Looked like a great weekend for all.

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Major Tom to ground control ... Here is my Sunday video. Just noticed the data overlay is a bit out of sync with the video. I may fix and reload later.

Tom

Nice drive! Congrats on a very good weekend.  

Nice to see my car from the rear, it looked like I felt in car... Notice the front wheel in every corner  :goodvibes:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Excellent Drive Tom........  Your car looked quite smooth...

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jesse Prather

Jesse Prather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

PM me if you want a recommendation for an engine builder ;)

I think I can handle it.  Thanks!

• Jim Drago likes this

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Tom
Nice drive! Congrats on a very good weekend.
Nice to see my car from the rear, it looked like I felt in car... Notice the front wheel in every corner :goodvibes:

Thanks Jim. Yeah, watching that front wheel during the race kept me hopeful.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Thanks everyone for coming out and supporting the STL region SCCA and for all of the kind words. Racing with everyone this weekend was a lot of fun and the competition was fierce as usual in the Spec Miata class. Congrats to Jim Drago on his two wins again and to Tom Scheiffler on his podium finishes. Overall, it was a fun weekend and I think I learned a lot about the car and setup, as well as giving feedback. Again, I appreciate Mr. Drago's, York's and both Scheiffler brother's help all weekend long working on the car and with some driver coaching. It was awesome to have Jesse Prather in the mix too, hope you got some footage of the drifting exhibition I was putting on :optimist:  ! It was cool to get my first Major's pole and track record this weekend thanks to the East Street engine and good car setup. Only bad part about the weekend was getting involved in an incident in Sunday's T4 race. We were running second when Eric Prill decided to make a pass in turn 1 running into Steve Burkett in the Mazda RX-7. The collision caused Steve's car to spin and I assumed he would get the car stopped and that I could follow Eric Prill around the accident but his car rolled right in front of me giving me no where to go but into his quarter panel (sorry steve!).  Here's the video of what happened 

Hopefully next year we can get more SM's out to Gateway. Hope to see everyone at Pueblo or Mid-Ohio in the coming weeks! 

-Max

Bleh.  The classic lack of lockup by the spinning car.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

-Max

Well that just sucked.  Not sure where the red production car thought he was going to stuff that car but he did a fine job of ruining your race. 

• Jim Drago likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

EPrill

EPrill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Car Number:7
My sincere apologies to Max for getting collected in what was an avoidable incident. He was an innocent bystander. I believed Steve was giving me the lane and when it became apparent that he was not, there was no place to go and no way to stop--too much closing speed. I talked to Steve before leaving the track and he confirmed that he never knew I was there and that it wasn't until later that he found out that it was my car that was at the apex and not Max's as he initially believed. Certainly, if I could have read Steve's mind, I would have tucked in behind. I accept my share of fault there and am sorry to both Steve and Max that it happened. Not at all my style.

Steve noted that he ended up in the tire wall on Saturday because he thought another driver saw him coming and that person moved over on him. This weekend's grouping had a huge speed disparity. I passed (lapped) 42 cars in Saturday's 25-minute race. That's a lot in 21 laps on a 1.6-mile course.

Max - I wish we had met under better circumstances. I hope the repairs come together for Pueblo.
  • Joe (dad) Jordan, Bench Racer, MPR22 and 3 others like this

Eric Prill

1990 Mazda Miata - F Production

MaxtonsFight.org/Jesse Prather Motorsports/Hoosier

Runoffs Podium: 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Runoffs Pole: 2008, 2012, 2017

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

^^^How all incidents should be handled...own up. Shit happens...hopefully only once :)

"Sh+t my father said"....If you were a robot, we would just turn you off, but you are only human and humans make mistakes!

• Jesse Prather likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Figured out how to edit my video.. This is from Sunday. Didn't have video from Saturday. A few have asked if I was "managing a gap" or if I was driving hard..  You be the judge :)

• Danny Steyn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Before I watch the video, your a great driver but not that great than under said conditions you could manage the gap. On Sat. and Sun. I documented each lap time for you and for Tom. Started out Sun. with you and Steve, but that didn't last long. Sorry Steve.  Now on to the video.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Thanks for the ride.  Early on possible, when red showed up, nope. Hands told what hands tell, rpm would have been great. :bigsquaregrin: 

Jesse Prather

Jesse Prather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Nice drive Jim!

• Jim Drago likes this

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Major Tom to ground control ... Here is my Sunday video.

https://youtu.be/o_Xa70w1S5w

Really nice drive Tom - very smooth. No hint of overdriving.

Based on what you experienced, what are your feelings regarding parity, at least at this one track?

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users