• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Fair enough Kyle, but when you have time please elaborate with specific examples that represent your conclusions. You know of course that I will try to poke holes in them, not out of bias, out of balance.

BTW, at this track and Blackhawk I might agree with you, though our idea of the details and degree may differ significantly.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I am really not feeling up for a debate on this topic, everyone can and will draw their own conclusions from the vid and data that has already been posted.  I have already stated early on in this thread that I feel the changes have gone to far, but not complaining I supported the changes.

IMO there needs to be some more changes made at this point, I would be completely happy If I could honestly say I would pic the 1.6 3-4 out of 10 times for a race track, the 99 for 3 tracks and 02 for 3 race tracks, and before anyone gets out of shape the 97 1.8 which I drove in a race once would be a hell of choice and alot of tracks just not many are racing them so we tend not to talk to much abotu them here.

Everyone have a safe and happy holiday this weekend!!!! Looking forward to some more racing in two weekends!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

While that is true, it's not what I took from his post. But then I'm not always on the same wavelength as others. To me it suggests that the race results had people making assumptions that we don't *entirely* agree with, the video supports them and the data and my analysis of it adds another nail to the coffin.
Is that about right Erik?

Many people respond better to politicians than scientists.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
With the mixed metaphors my response was not much clearer than posting the cartoon, which was simply saying that when you are already in a hole it's generally best to stop digging. But we dig for the truth, wherever that takes us. Unfortunately some people are far more eager to latch onto surface indicators which support preconceived opinions so they can make a pronouncement, and are then unwilling to dig into the actual facts with an open mind. I think that was taught at the Trump Academy of Misrepresentation and Obfuscation.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Many people respond better to politicians than scientists.

Really?  Have  you seen the disapproval ratings on our two candidates? :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

With the mixed metaphors my response was not much clearer than posting the cartoon, which was simply saying that when you are already in a hole it's generally best to stop digging. But we dig for the truth, wherever that takes us. Unfortunately some people are far more eager to latch onto surface indicators which support preconceived opinions so they can make a pronouncement, and are then unwilling to dig into the actual facts with an open mind. I think that was taught at the Trump Academy of Misrepresentation and Obfuscation.

Perhaps spelling out your opinion on parity and exactly what your conclusions were after looking at all the data and video would be more productive than debating a tid bit here and there? I have to say I got a chuckle out of a text this morning that said you would try to convince a corpse that he really wasn't dead :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I'm still working on it as time allows, but surely I have already made extremely clear the fact that I don't believe either model has a big advantage. I wouldn't have bothered with debating any of this so soon if there hadn't been a flood of nonsense ever since Atlanta. I like to gather facts first and challenge my initial impressions. My only regret is that so many seem to think that exhaustive analysis is a weakness.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

As the video and simple lap times show, Jim was more consistent even though he struggled to control tires that were not as fresh as Tom's. No surprise, Jim has been racing every year and many more events per year. But beyond that you really need to dig into all the details to understand why any one segment looks better than another. Anyone jumping to easy conclusions from these few images probably hasn't considered all that is involved.

This ^^^^^^

In a race scenario with two cars that are similar but not the same it is very hard to interpret the data as they have to get around the track differently.  It would be better on an open lap in qualifying with no push or draft but getting that data would be nearly impossible given the limited to time we have on the track at a race weekend.  

The main reason Jim won was evident in the data, it wasn't HP, it wasn't brakes...... it was consistency.  That is what wins races in SM.  It is not hero driving, not the fastest car by 2 hp, it is who is the most consistent over the race.  Most of us are very good at getting the most out of the little chick cars, it is a matter of who can do it the longest.  That is where I have lacked this year and will continue to focus my efforts.  I could spend the rest of my life chasing 2 hp and I would still lose if I don't become more consistent.  And I am talking .1 to .2 per lap over 30-40 minute race.  

• Ron Alan likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
This ^^^^^ is what I've been saying about my own driving even compared to Tom, and it is exactly why I have said again and again that I am not yet in a position to have a firm and well informed opinion on parity, so I keep looking, asking, challenging.

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

I would expect Jim to be the most consistent lap after lap which is blue...you dont get to where Jim is with out this! 

:yep: It's impressive to watch first-hand (and frustrating)  

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I'm still working on it as time allows, but surely I have already made extremely clear the fact that I don't believe either model has a big advantage. I wouldn't have bothered with debating any of this so soon if there hadn't been a flood of nonsense ever since Atlanta. I like to gather facts first and challenge my initial impressions. My only regret is that so many seem to think that exhaustive analysis is a weakness.

I am not sure that is as clear as you think.. Remember this is Sm... You drive a 1.6.. so in our world you must be biased and you must be tainting facts and opinions in your favor.  :wacko:( unfortunately it is just the way it is here, whenever I post anything other than speed the 1.6 up.. I am biased bc I drive an NB )  I believe you to be genuine, but i think a well thought out and written post as to what your opinions are would be received better as now it is constant point/counter point.  Just my opinion.. and you know what that is worth :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

What i see from my amatuer eyes on data, is that the 1.6 on best lap vs best lap, even on turn 1 where the 1.6 over slows the corner it accelerated at a faster rate out of the corner, as well as i see the same thing coming onto to oval, I see this on both of those slides...

:huh: Help me understand why you say I over slow in T1 (segment 1) on the 2 fast-lap slides?  

In the first slide we brake at the same time and I clearly have a higher minimum speed to the end of segment 1.  In the second slide, Jim had a huge draft that gave him a high max speed before braking but after the lines cross I again have a higher minimum speed to the end of segment 1.

Did you maybe mean T2 (segment 2)?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

:huh: Help me understand why you say I over slow in T1 (segment 1) on the 2 fast-lap slides?  

In the first slide we brake at the same time and I clearly have a higher minimum speed to the end of segment 1.  In the second slide, Jim had a huge draft that gave him a high max speed before braking but after the lines cross I again have a higher minimum speed to the end of segment 1.

Did you maybe mean T2 (segment 2)?

Sorry i flashed between the two slides and then wrote what i wrote,  what i should have said is your rate of acceleration out of t1 even when you go through corner faster then jim is still a greater rate of acceleration.  does that clear it up.  IMO the data shows on both the slides that the 1.6 accelerates fastest, even when the corner is over slowed.  I have been hearing for so long that the 1.6 cant accelerate like the 1.8... in fact it now seems to better, again just my opinion.  

if it accelerates faster, can brake later and less time can corner better, faster at the end of the straight what is there really left to say?  it must be that the 1.6 cant do all of this around other cars, and i did not witness that in any video of either bhf or gw... 

You guys are sure spending alot of time trying to convince me and many others that the 1.6 has no real advantage...

• Erik Hardy likes this

K. Webb