Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:70

Rumors of the death of racing in the Midwest have been grossly exaggerated.  This weekend the SCCA Majors visits the "world's greatest track for REAL drivers" (Jim Drago, 2012, paraphrased)

So far 19 SM's are scheduled to take on the bull ring, including two 90's, two 95's and fifteen 99 cars.  Top finishers from the Run-Offs and COTA are risking their reputations to see what they can do at a track that rewards smooth driving and skill over outright power (which never hurts, mind you).

Hallett is a laid back atmosphere that embodies the essence of the club for me.  My biggest stress comes from knowing that half the field is sporting brand new virgin paint jobs, including Haldeman, Drago and me.  At Hallett, rubbin' is racing....we'll see if we can put that idea to bed this weekend.

There is still time to show up and find out if you are a "wheel man" or just a chimp riding a missile.

P.S. Added Incentive for BSpec racers - I'll personally give you a $100 if you sign up and finish this weekend.

Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I don't remember what I posted.. but I agree with your post 100%. 

Hallet is one of my favorite race tracks. If you take all the F1 glitz and glamour away from COTA and just compare the pure enjoyment of driving a race track.. I chose Hallet!  The last two weekends for me ( COTA and Road Atlanta)were more a Runoffs atmosphere.. Everyone on edge and stressed. The racing will be no less intense at Hallett, but for whatever reason, the fun factor that is supposed to be SM racing is ALWAYS in abundance at Hallett. 

About the best thing I can say about Hallet is the one of my most memorably races ever was at that track in 2010 with Matt Reynolds, and I didnt even win! Matt did! Less winning the Runoffs, I rate that race as #2 of my all time favorites. 

If your on the fence about coming, load up and head over to Hallett. Good racing, lots of competition, lots of fun and no drama  :thumbsup: 

• Okspeed6 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

steve johnson

steve johnson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

And lots of cold beer!!!!!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Looks like the Okie version of Nelson Ledges - not that there's anything wrong with that.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:29

I can not wait to get to Hallett....Jim, Matt, Mike, Charlie, Chris, and I am sure others are going to be fun to race, but my favorite thing is the track it self.  The track lends itself to attacking the track, and you do not have to be quite as precise.  Reminds me of motocross tracks as a kid....same kind of rythm... and its kinda cool having the inside tires come off the ground going into "the bitch"!  

Dont know if 2 wins like last year is possible, but I am very excited to give it 100%.

Looking Forward to seeing everyone!

Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Looks like the Okie version of Nelson Ledges - not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have heard that before.  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Matt Reynolds

Matt Reynolds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

About the best thing I can say about Hallet is the one of my most memorably races ever was at that track in 2010 with Matt Reynolds, and I didnt even win! Matt did! Less winning the Runoffs, I rate that race as #2 of my all time favorites. 

Jim,

I would love to repeat the results of that race again!  Of course, we all know it has swung the other way as well.  Looking forward to racing with the usual suspects, which I suspect will all be quick.

-Sideshow

BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

http://www.sccahost.com/sccalive/

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

http://www.scca.com/...x.cfm?cid=51370

Great race.. Best part we get to do it all again tomorrow! I am whipped and going to bed :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:70

Congrats Jim (Saturday) and Matt (Sunday)....Hallett always guarantees some fierce battles and epic meltdowns.  Good times!

James York - good battle on Sunday...although I had wondered where you went after the first half...scanned my mirrors and you had just disappeared!   I hope you and the car are no worse for the wear.

534412_10152743327965220_1930525768_n.jp

• Jim Drago likes this
Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Long weekend...  back to reality this am and dragging a$$ here at work. I got in late and lots to do. 

My race on Saturday went really well, Chris Haldeman and I were able to get a gap and maintain it. I tried to shake Chris, but couldn't, he was really fast. I don't think I have ever done 25 faster laps at Hallet, I made one small mistake at the bottom of the bitch, but it was minor and Chris was there every lap. He probably could have passed at some points, but chose to stay in line and get away and race the last few laps.  Chris was a little faster in two and the bitch and I was a little faster in 6 and 10.  On the last lap, Chris knew he needed a good run out of six to beat me out of the bitch and dropped two tires and it cost him a shot at the race. Had he nailed the exit, the last few turns would have been really interesting. Chris is going to be a real threat anywhere he races.   

Sundays race started and it looked like a carbon copy of Saturday. Chris and I started to check out and I thought "here we go again"  Unfortunately a few laps later I was already struggling with the grip and knew it was going to be a long race.  Chris stayed in line, and then all of a sudden disappeared, he pulled off with a transmission issue.  I was "thinking" this might be an easy one, WRONG! My car got increasingly harder to drive. I saw Matt Reynolds in the distance getting a lot closer every lap.  He made up a 3 second gap or or so in a few laps and I didn't even contest the pass into 10 as I knew he was faster. I hoped to stay in contact and hopefully my car would get better or his would get worse, he was really hooked up at that point and just really good in general, exceptional at Hallett. The lapped traffic( mixed classes) was the worse I have ever seen.  On one lap I think Matt made 2-3 seconds on me, fortunately gave it right back a lap or so later. Absolutely no courtesy at all was being showed and no one honored the blue flags at all.  I was able to get back to Matts bumper, I think his car started to handle more like mine and I knew we were about to have another one of those epic Hallett battles.  We had a good race, I think we passed each other a time or two.  I was leading and we just had a slight touch out of six and I got the worst of it. Just one of those things, hard racing on the edge. Matt as always came up and we talked about it, not a big deal.  I recovered to finish third.  Congrats to Matt for the win! Congrats to Charlie James, Chris Haldeman, Craig Berry on the podiums. My long time friend and new team mate Erik Stearns in only his second race in last 6 years or so was able to finish forth,  first weekend ever at Hallett. He will be winning again soon as well.

Lastly on the lapped cars and mixed groups. I heard from many people that they aren't going to next years race if we don't have our own group.  I hate to say it, but I think I am in that group as well.  The mixed cars caused lots of problems, damage and ruined many races for lots of the Sm guys. I know traffic is a part of racing and I actually like traffic, but when the other cars are oblivious and a danger to themselves and others on the track, well that is a different story.

I am not going to Gateway if it is the same groupings, some one is going to get killed there. 

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Thanks for the write up Jim. Congrats to all the winners and podium placers!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Congrats Jim (Saturday) and Matt (Sunday)....Hallett always guarantees some fierce battles and epic meltdowns.  Good times!

James York - good battle on Sunday...although I had wondered where you went after the first half...scanned my mirrors and you had just disappeared!   I hope you and the car are no worse for the wear.

Mike; Enjoyed my first visit to Hallet. We had good races on both days, clean and fair. On Sunday though the car went wicked loose and I thought the wiser that I come in with a few laps to go before I really had a big one.  You can see from the picture that was one of the offs on the exit of 1.   

Car is fine, nothing a little rivet won't fix on the chin spoiler.

Congrats to Jim and Matt for the wins and the other podiums finishers.  I always have a good time sharing stories and racing with you guys.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA