Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

!.6 secret?? As they get older the lack of corner grip is compensated by better straight away speed? Anyone have data that actually shows this...or not? Just a thought....

I don't think that is a secret? Nor am I sure that it is accurate? But always a guessing game between grip and straight line. I go with grip 9 out of 10 times

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
So what I'm hearing then is that 6-10 sessions is the max you can get out of these tires to be competetive. Since I'm new at this, I have a couple of questions. What was the life of the Toyos? I thought people claimed they were good right down to the cords. Also, if there's no more grip left, why does Hoosier put so much rubber on? Why not start with 2-3/32 of "tread"?

As a caveat, my car can probably use a little tweaking setup wise, and with more experience I probably won't suffer as much on old tires.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Dom
The Toyos were good down to the cord was true at a few tracks, at most tracks, session 2-6 Toyos that started as 2/32 tires were the best tires. Guys running Hoosiers less than 6 sessions are guys that ran 1/32-2/32 Toyos. Short of people looking for the last few tenths, the Hoosiers can be run to 10-20 cycles IMO. Again, track dependent.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

So what I'm hearing then is that 6-10 sessions is the max you can get out of these tires to be competetive. Since I'm new at this, I have a couple of questions. What was the life of the Toyos? I thought people claimed they were good right down to the cords. Also, if there's no more grip left, why does Hoosier put so much rubber on? Why not start with 2-3/32 of "tread"?

As a caveat, my car can probably use a little tweaking setup wise, and with more experience I probably won't suffer as much on old tires.

My toyos would be done after 5 full on track sessions. Maybe six if I was nice with them. New set every race weekend.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I don't think that is a secret? Nor am I sure that it is accurate? But always a guessing game between grip and straight line. I go with grip 9 out of 10 times

Secret like magic grease? All kidding aside, would love for someone who has lots of data and can compare Toyos to Hoosiers on the same track, same car , weather conditions close...etc,etc...to chime in and see if in fact the tires have pluses and minuses compared to each other...or not.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Short of people looking for the last few tenths, the Hoosiers can be run to 10-20 cycles IMO. Again, track dependent.

Can I assume that the tracks you can run older tires at would be the longer, less twisty tracks? Less heat built up in corners, and longer straights to cool them off...?
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

My toyos would be done after 5 full on track sessions. Maybe six if I was nice with them. New set every race weekend.

Secret like magic grease? All kidding aside, would love for someone who has lots of data and can compare Toyos to Hoosiers on the same track, same car , weather conditions close...etc,etc...to chime in and see if in fact the tires have pluses and minuses compared to each other...or not.

this is such a track dependent question. For example, I did an event at Putnam park its a 1.8 mile course and the texture of the track is gritty , you have to race on fresh Toyos (NASA) and you pretty much trash them in One weekend.

Just comparing The toyo to the hoosier, i think its fair to say that the Hoosier is softer compound and with all things being equal will not last as long,

Just my opinion, But if that is fact or not is hard to say.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

Can I assume that the tracks you can run older tires at would be the longer, less twisty tracks? Less heat built up in corners, and longer straights to cool them off...?

Some tracks have a really rough surface. We have one with a 180* corner of really old asphault they stage the drag racers on so the surface is as full of pits as any auto parts store parking lot from all the chemicals as they sit there leaking. It chews up tires badly. People have often talked about how old harder tires were the hot ticket there. New Hoosiers are apparently the hot ticket there now, easily beating the track record during 4 laps of just scrubbing in tires.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
(In my midpack opinion) Old Toyos at Mid-Ohio is a myth. The grip there can change hourly. Just because someone says they ran their best time on two-year-old baldies doesn't mean someone else couldn't do better at that exact time and weather with fresh tires.

Bought a set of "pre-heat cycled" Hoosiers, they have 16 cycles on them now and they still feel pretty good. Would they be the hot ticket for a front runner at a national? No. Will they allow me and my meager talent/budget to have fun at a regional? Definitely!
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

All kidding aside, would love for someone who has lots of data and can compare Toyos to Hoosiers on the same track, same car , weather conditions close...etc,etc...to chime in and see if in fact the tires have pluses and minuses compared to each other...or not.

Ron

I have lots and lots of data from the 2010 and 2011 seasons comparing Toyo RA-1 and Hoosiers at the same tracks on the same days in the South East where we were able to run Toyos in the SARRC's and Nationals, and the Hoosiers in the Pro-IT. In testing I would go out in consecutive sessions with different tires to see where each one was better.
  • At very tight tracks like Barber, where you are nowhere near 5th gear, its a no-brainer - the Hoosier's superior grip makes for significantly faster lap times.
  • At tracks like Sebring, where grip is important, but you are also need less rolling resistance, the Hoosier is still a faster tire as you make up more in the corners than you lose in the straight.
  • At tracks like Road Atlanta with two 5th gear pulls it is really close. If you can qualify at the front then Hoosiers make sense, but if you are behind, the lower rolling resistance of the Toyos will allow you to make the late braking passes in T10 and T1
You have to drive the Hoosiers differently - they require a MUCH more aggressive approach to braking, corner entry, and throttle application. If you drive them like a Toyo, then you are leaving too much on the table.

But if you drive them aggressively, once the carcass gets hot, normally around the 10 minute mark, I have had them let go suddenly, and had to drive a maintenance lap or two to get them back. At Road America where the straights are so long, they have plenty of time to cool and I have never experienced them "letting go"

Just my personal experience - YMMV

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

(In my midpack opinion) Old Toyos at Mid-Ohio is a myth. The grip there can change hourly. Just because someone says they ran their best time on two-year-old baldies doesn't mean someone else couldn't do better at that exact time and weather with fresh tires.

M&Q. My experience is absolutely .... "the older the better". Something special about that surface that grains fresh rubber really quickly. Just my opinion

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

Dom
The Toyos were good down to the cord was true at a few tracks, at most tracks, session 2-6 Toyos that started as 2/32 tires were the best tires. Guys running Hoosiers less than 6 sessions are guys that ran 1/32-2/32 Toyos. Short of people looking for the last few tenths, the Hoosiers can be run to 10-20 cycles IMO. Again, track dependent.
Jim

Wow, something Drago and I agree on......lol

I can attest that Hoosiers can be run almost up to their 20th cycle. The key though is proper scrubbing of sticker tires. A used set i "borrowed" had 11 cycles on them before and 19 by the time I was done. They were scrubbed in properly. Some podium finishes and an outside pole with them! As soon as you start approaching the 20 th cycle though the tire is pretty much toast.

On the flip side, starting a race on stickers i would not recommend on a rough surface like NJMP. Maybe 4-5 cycles at best there.

I'm sure most would agree it's how you treat them initially that will determine the life of the tire.

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Wow, something Drago and I agree on......lol

I can attest that Hoosiers can be run almost up to their 20th cycle. The key though is proper scrubbing of sticker tires. A used set i "borrowed" had 11 cycles on them before and 19 by the time I was done. They were scrubbed in properly. Some podium finishes and an outside pole with them! As soon as you start approaching the 20 th cycle though the tire is pretty much toast.

On the flip side, starting a race on stickers i would not recommend on a rough surface like NJMP. Maybe 4-5 cycles at best there.

I'm sure most would agree it's how you treat them initially that will determine the life of the tire.

Well, I'll admit that I didn't follow the Hoosier guidelines on this first set. I showed up at VIR with a set of 2-3 year old Toyo RA1's, a set of Toyo wets, and a new set of rims. With rain in the forecast, I bought a set of Hoosier SM6's and replaced my Toyo wets with Hoosier H2O's. I just qualified and raced (all very poorly) on the SM6's til the rain came. So, maybe I can't complain about the longevity of those SM6's. Plus, they mights still work ok if I don't overheat them. I'm sure some of this is lack of experience.

Back to the break-in. The Hoosier guidelines are tough to do. Is running a full qualifying session (25min), and then allowing to cool for a week considered close enough?
Domm Leuci

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
Per Andrew's video: I'm the orange/green #48 getting by him during his off (along with Bob Varca) and the three of us have an absolute awesome 3-way battle throughout the remainder of the race (until Andrew pulls himself out). If it's of any import, I was running a "36+ hour sit" of unshaved cycled R-888s (practice day the Friday before). Varca, I will assume, was running a 'fairly fresh' set of Hoosiers (he runs with Flatout here in the NE and I would say they "spare no expense") but I could be wrong.

I'm not one to brag** but I'd have to say I was keeping up rather well with a tire that everyone likes to blame as "junk". And to compare what Varca and Andrew were running with what I was, I'd be comfortable to mark things as quite even.

Not to say there are those who are running sticker Hoosiers that are dead after 4-5 cycles whereas others who are running cycled (and sat) sets, but I'd classify it as "you get out what you put in".
Just look at what I'm supposedly able to do on "junk R-888s".

I'm adding fuel to the fire only I guess. :glare: (edit to add) Or echoing what Marc is reinforcing from Drago...

But something to take away (and this is just my opinion):
Properly cycled, RA1 (C-RA1) & R-888 (C-R-888) will last a long time (with RA1 wearing best).
-the 888s do not "require" shaving (Toyo admits they will be marginally faster with the trade-off being shorter life).
Properly cycled Hoosier (C-Hoosiers) appear to have a shorter longevity than the Toyos.
Sticker & shaved (S&S) R-888 are faster than S&S RA1.
Sticker Hoosier are faster than sticker or S&S R-888.
Sticker Hoosier have a shorter life than either S&S Toyo models.

Fastest: S-Hoosier > C-Hoosier > S&S-R-888 > C-R-888 > S&S-RA1 > C-RA1
Longevity: C-RA1 > C-R-888 > S&S-RA1 > S&S-R-888 > C-Hoosier > S-Hoosier

** I can't brag: I ran out of gas for this race. :noidea: Managed to get and stay ahead of Varca (for 10th I think) but the last 2-3 laps were babied as I "burped" on the left-hander and I barely finished 11th.
:whistling: P12 was coming up real fast from DFL - on a cycled set of Hoosiers!! :scratchchin:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
Brandon, I'm not sure what video or race you are referring to, and I can't speak to what Bob V. was running. However, part of what my discussion here relates to what you are saying. I rented with Flatout last year. I remember a time they sent me out to scrub in stickers, and I remember running on nearly bald RA1's. Specifically, those nearly bald RA1's felt awesome last year at the Glen in October. And that's part of my concern about the Hoosiers.

Yes, they are awesome stickers. But my first set (not properly cycled...my bad), just didn't have the same performance as the old RA1's as they aged. My experience is very limited, but I wonder if moving to Hoosier was helpful...for a "budget" class.

I'd be interested if others agree with your tire ratings.
Domm Leuci

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I'd be interested if others agree with your tire ratings.

No.

But it is not worth getting into a debate since: 1) I have my own data which I totally believe which includes of dozens of races, 100s of sessions; 2) It doesn't really matter for me since I only run National SM and the required tire is Hoosier at this time.
  • Jim Drago likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA