pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Do away with the qualifying,  grid  all 1.6 cars first,   1.8 next 2001's next and than the 99 cars.  Good start at Parity  :) 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

It is already demanding on your time to have the Majors be 4 day events with a test day.  Now they have made it possible to turn a Major essentially into a 4 day single, great idea.  I missed what was wrong with the old format???  

Not only do you get the opportunity to pay more than a regional race but they are offering less race time to really sweeten the deal.  :fuming:

If this is what they end up with, I just saved a bunch of money and time.  I can go to regional races and some of those have an hour and a half enduro.  

I hope this is just one of those boneheaded ideas that got out and will be reconsidered.

• DrDomm likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

Some thoughts on the Majors format for 2014.

A 20 minute race increases the chance of a Double Yellow. Everyone will go for every "gap" they think they see because they have to. Some will not get through the "gap."

At Sebring, 20 minutes is only 8 laps, if all are green.

Not sure $550 for (1) 20 minute qualifying, (2) 20 minute race and (3) 45 mile race (~35-40 minutes) makes much sense (about 1 hour 20 minutes total track time).

Tom

• FTodaro and Keith Andrews like this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I have not seen to many people commenting that they like a 20 min. race. I hope that because this was announced early that there is time for and room for change.

I agree with Keith, what was the problem with last year?

the idea of giving different classes more of there own run group is admirable idea, but if it means you have run groups with 6 cars in in it I would do a hybrid of this idea, give the big classes like SM and SRF there own group and combine some of the smaller groups. we do it now in the regional races.

also if both races are going to be counted for the same amount of points then it would be more consistent to split the time equal and make it two 30 min races rather than one 40 and one 20.  

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

luckymiata76

luckymiata76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Car Number:76

So, what's the ideal 2 day schedule with 6 or 7 run groups? Please, remember to add 10 minutes in between sessions to tow in cars, clean up debris etc. We can start at 8:00 am and like to be finished soon after 5 pm with a 1 hour lunch break.

Jeff

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

One word.....NASA!

New that was coming from someone :burst:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

So, what's the ideal 2 day schedule with 6 or 7 run groups? Please, remember to add 10 minutes in between sessions to tow in cars, clean up debris etc. We can start at 8:00 am and like to be finished soon after 5 pm with a 1 hour lunch break.

Jeff

Make it 6 run groups, put 5 min between run groups but leave an extra 15 to 20 min to tow cars over the day. Buy an extra hr of track time, at mid ohio for example that extra hr. is extremely cheap in relative terms. Then you can provide a good bang for the buck.

Shorten the post race impound and awards celebration, at our major last year that was done in 10 tp 15 min max.

Split Sm and STL groups by at least two run groups, so you take advantage of double dippers. Give healthy discount for doing so.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

I guess this needs to change to reflect the new format.

3.1.1. National Races 

SCCA identifies National races in each division for which only drivers holding SCCA National Competition Licenses are eligible. Each National race will include all National classes identified in Section 9. 

A. There shall be at least 5 race groups. 

B. Practice/Qualifying 

1. All practice and qualifying shall be by race group. 

2. Practice and/or qualifying sessions for each race group must total a minimum of 45 minutes. 

3. Each race group shall have at least 2 sessions before their race. 

4. National practice may be combined with Regional practice and qualifying; however, National qualifying may not be combined with Regional practice or qualifying. 

C. National races must be scheduled for a number of laps equaling at least 45 miles. The SOM may reschedule all or any of the races to 30 minutes if conditions warrant. 

D. When professional races are scheduled with National races at the same event, compliance with all National race standards is required. (See 3.1.1.A. - C. and 3.1.2., when appropriate). 

E. For 2013, the VP of Club Racing or their designate, with the approval of the Chairmen of the Board of Directors, BoD Planning Committee, CRB and Stewards, may alter the GCR requirements for the conducting of an event as needed to support the Majors Program.

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

It is already demanding on your time to have the Majors be 4 day events with a test day.  Now they have made it possible to turn a Major essentially into a 4 day single, great idea.  I missed what was wrong with the old format???  

Keith,

I can only assume this is due to some issues that they had at COTA (and maybe over events) where weather and incidents got the schedule so far behind they couldn't complete races on the Saturday.  They cancelled qualifying on Sunday and used laptimes from Saturday so they could have the remaining Saturday races on Sunday.

Blake

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Yah and then they split the run groups in T1 so the faster cars in the same class got a half a lap adv!!! again.... WTF!
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Keith,

I can only assume this is due to some issues that they had at COTA (and maybe over events) where weather and incidents got the schedule so far behind they couldn't complete races on the Saturday.  They cancelled qualifying on Sunday and used laptimes from Saturday so they could have the remaining Saturday races on Sunday.

Blake

Agreed.  It would be shame IMHO to go the route proposed.  All the Eastern events are listed as three day events, it just doesn't make sense to be unable to put together a workable schedule that includes two National length races.  I would rather cancel a qualifying session than do a 20 minute race, I'm sure others would disagree.  Why not qualify on Friday morning for Saturday and in the afternoon for Sunday.  Race on Saturday and Sunday, there is probably room to do some short warm up in the morning.

I guess this is a way to strengthen the regional races that can accomplish two qualifying runs and two races in a two day schedule.  I know they are generally only 30 - 35 minutes but it gets done.  

zoomzoom22

zoomzoom22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Should we assume that entry fee's are going DOWN by an appropriate amount with this change?

UhhhhhNoooo.  They are going to go up, just wait

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

Hope they have a major at the new, extended Thunderhill.  At five miles, we will have a "Four Lap Major".  Maybe we can wave off a start or two and make it a "One Lap Major"

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Keith,

Blake

The reason is to allow time for more run groups. The goal is not to have as many combined run groups at the Majors. We are forunate that this rarely if ever effects us. But if any one remembers Hallet, we were combined and it was a real cluster!
I don't agree with the 20 minute races either. Given all the things that have to happen and adding more run groups makes it nearly impossible to make a schedule less shortened races that will work.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

zoomzoom22

zoomzoom22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Don't miss this little tidbit change for 2014 either:

U.S. Majors Tour
Earning an invitation to the Runoffs through the Majors has bother participation and performance requirements for 2014. 

This is different from 2013, where a driver had the option of earning an invitation through participation only.

Participation Requirement: 
In the same class, a driver must participate in a minimum of three separate U.S. Majors Tour event weekends and have a minimum of three individual race finishes.

Performance Requirement: One of the following:
1- Finish in the top 10 of their Conference point standings in class
2- Finish in the top 50% of National Point Standings (as in 2013)
3- Achieve a point total in National Point Standings ≥ the mid-point of the 2013 standings for that class (as in 2013)

So you more or less have to attend more race weekends AND will have to meet one of the 3 criteria above to make the runoffs.  With everyone attending more events what is the impact of this change?  Would 70 cars have qualified for the runoffs this year with this change instead of all the blues on the national points that qualified based on 2 weekends and 3 races?

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Yah and then they split the run groups in T1 so the faster cars in the same class got a half a lap adv!!! again.... WTF!

Speaking of T1...these cars are eligible to run GT2, and the Runoffs proved that they are competitive.  So...move T1 to GT2.  That's what happened to STO.  It's getting silly to have so many classes running the same lap times.

Just sayin...

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Don't miss this little tidbit change for 2014 either:

U.S. Majors Tour
Earning an invitation to the Runoffs through the Majors has bother participation and performance requirements for 2014. 

This is different from 2013, where a driver had the option of earning an invitation through participation only.

Participation Requirement: 
In the same class, a driver must participate in a minimum of three separate U.S. Majors Tour event weekends and have a minimum of three individual race finishes.

Performance Requirement: One of the following:
1- Finish in the top 10 of their Conference point standings in class
2- Finish in the top 50% of National Point Standings (as in 2013)
3- Achieve a point total in National Point Standings ≥ the mid-point of the 2013 standings for that class (as in 2013)

So you more or less have to attend more race weekends AND will have to meet one of the 3 criteria above to make the runoffs.  With everyone attending more events what is the impact of this change?  Would 70 cars have qualified for the runoffs this year with this change instead of all the blues on the national points that qualified based on 2 weekends and 3 races?

Since there are no national races anymore, how are there national point standings for us to achieve?  Forgive my ignorance on the subject,  I am spending all my time stirring up the masses to charge the National Office. 

• DrDomm likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

JUST BECAUSE WE DONT CALL RACES NATIONALS NO MORE DONT MEANS WE DONT HAVE NATIONAL POINTS OR A NATIONAL POINTS CHAMPION...  nATIONAL IN THIS CASE MEANS NATION WIDE...  

K. Webb