60 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
A 3 day, 5 session regional weekend in SFR at Laguna or Sonoma was $525 I beleve this year!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I have a couple suggestions:

Combine classes at the Runoffs/Majors level, as mentioned above T1 and GT2 could be combined with ease. What about FB, FC and FE. All are wings and slick open wheel cars with similar lap times and rules. EP and GT3, FP becomes the new GT4,  HP and GTL. This will take someone with more free time (and free brain space) than I have to figure out all the details. I figure we should be able to get to 18 classes without making any car ineleigable.

I am tired of seeing race groups with 9 cars and 6 winners.

5 classes for production looking cars. Weight restriction for slicks/DOT tires, Tube versus tub frame etc.

5 classes for open wheel cars, Atlantic, B-C-E, Mazda and Vee

2 classes for Sports racers

6 specialty classes B-Spec, SM, AS, STU, STL, SRF

What made SM and SRF the most popular classes in SCCA? Competition, Competition, Competition

Allow event organisers to alter the schedule 7 days prior to the event, based on pre-registered competitors. I just looked at the entry list for the Fall Sprints at Blackhawk next week. There are race groups with only 2 cars !!!!! Yet the SRF and SM are in the same race group with 20+ entrys. At this point the race groups need to be adjusted. But the GCR does not allow it, and the officials do not want to do it at the last minute at the track. So we continue to have unbalanced/illogical groups.

Just me ideas

Dave

• pat slattery and DrDomm like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Email sent to Jeff Dahnert and Butch Kummer expressing my displeasure at the proposed format

• Muda likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

Email sent to Jeff Dahnert and Butch Kummer expressing my displeasure at the proposed format

WE KNOW IF DANNY CAN'T SEE THE POSITIVE IN SOMETHING THIS IS JACKED UP!   :burst:

• Ron Alan, pat slattery and DrDomm like this

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

luckymiata76

luckymiata76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Car Number:76

What made SM and SRF the most popular classes in SCCA? Competition, Competition, Competition

I agree with Dave, but let me add-cheap, cheap, cheap and reliable, reliable, reliable.

Jeff

• Alberto and AW33COM like this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I have a couple suggestions:

Combine classes at the Runoffs/Majors level, as mentioned above T1 and GT2 could be combined with ease. What about FB, FC and FE. All are wings and slick open wheel cars with similar lap times and rules. EP and GT3, FP becomes the new GT4,  HP and GTL. This will take someone with more free time (and free brain space) than I have to figure out all the details. I figure we should be able to get to 18 classes without making any car ineleigable.

I am tired of seeing race groups with 9 cars and 6 winners.

5 classes for production looking cars. Weight restriction for slicks/DOT tires, Tube versus tub frame etc.

5 classes for open wheel cars, Atlantic, B-C-E, Mazda and Vee

2 classes for Sports racers

6 specialty classes B-Spec, SM, AS, STU, STL, SRF

Allow event organisers to alter the schedule 7 days prior to the event, based on pre-registered competitors. I just looked at the entry list for the Fall Sprints at Blackhawk next week. There are race groups with only 2 cars !!!!! Yet the SRF and SM are in the same race group with 20+ entrys. At this point the race groups need to be adjusted. But the GCR does not allow it, and the officials do not want to do it at the last minute at the track. So we continue to have unbalanced/illogical groups.

Just me ideas

Dave

We used to have this issue in our regional races and after a bit of yacking i and others were able to convince our group that the two largest classes should not run together, SRF and SM, so we now have them split.

Someone explain to me the rational of the rules that do not allow club organizers to make changes to groups and schedules based upon who signed up. I know this is the SCCA way of doing things but that does not make it right.

If you want to provide better customer service you have to give the event organizers flexibility to make adjustments.

And can someone in the know tell me why they don't buy more track time.

I can do it for a PCA club race and DE so why not for a Major?? NASA does it!

last year an extra hr of track time at Mid O was 1250.00 That is two major's entry's.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Danny, why don't you post their email addresses here?  I'm too lazy to look them up.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

luckymiata76

luckymiata76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Car Number:76

My e-mail to Butch...

Butch,

There's a lot of kick-back on the 20 minute race proposal on mazdaracers.com.

Reply...

I've been following the discussion and we have lots to consider next week before the BoD gets to town next Thursday.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Danny, why don't you post their email addresses here?  I'm too lazy to look them up.

1st post, can you make it over there ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88

My e-mail to Butch...

Butch,

There's a lot of kick-back on the 20 minute race proposal on mazdaracers.com.

Reply...

I've been following the discussion and we have lots to consider next week before the BoD gets to town next Thursday.

Hi Butch !!  :wave2:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

If you want to provide better customer service you have to give the event organizers flexibility to make adjustments.

And can someone in the know tell me why they don't buy more track time.

Which customer are you talking about?  There was a protest and an uproar at COTA because they tried to change the schedule which impacted people's flights and travel schedules.  When customers, in this case racers, buy something based on a schedule, they generally want to get what they bought.  We're lucky in SM but in other classes, randomly getting combined at the last minute with other classes is NOT a better experience.

As for track time - some places you can, some you can't.  You also have to be mindful of the workers who, unlike the racers, aren't out there 30-45 minutes at a time (and many aren't spring chickens).

A 3 day, 5 session regional weekend in SFR at Laguna or Sonoma was $525 I beleve this year!

If you run a Tier A track, you're paying 20k+/day for the bare asphalt. Do the math. Entry fees are a direct reflection of the costs divided by the number of people showing up.  There is no world in which the hard costs associated with running events will decrease significantly so the answer to higher entry fees is to increase participation per event.

Before anyone says that high fees are the reason for lower participation, I can at least say in SFR that entry fee changes trail participation by 1-2 seasons meaning they reflect what's happened rather than the other way around. 

(and, specifically for Majors ,there is a $50/car surcharge that is getting passed along)

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

If you run a Tier A track, you're paying 20k+/day for the bare asphalt. Do the math. Entry fees are a direct reflection of the costs divided by the number of people showing up.  There is no world in which the hard costs associated with running events will decrease significantly so the answer to higher entry fees is to increase participation per event.

Before anyone says that high fees are the reason for lower participation, I can at least say in SFR that entry fee changes trail participation by 1-2 seasons meaning they reflect what's happened rather than the other way around. 

(and, specifically for Majors ,there is a $50/car surcharge that is getting passed along)

To clarify, I wasnt complaining :)  Just pointing out to a previous post maybe what they were complaining about wasnt so bad!

On an off topic but somewhat related issue...I had a reason to look at and register for a NASA event. I was blown away at the tiered pricing structure depending on which race group you run...WOW :blink:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
It's a lot cheaper
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
And u r assured to run a mixed class race why don't u ask a nasa pro like kyle l how he feels about those mixed class races

K. Webb